GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Dashboard cracks - How to stop them (the Crack Arrest Technique) - Lexus Toyota Acura

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 05:25 AM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dashboard cracks - How to stop them (the Crack Arrest Technique) - Lexus Toyota Acura

Hi all,

I came up with a way to help stop the spread of the dashboard cracks that are endemic to our vehicles. This technique does not prevent dashboards from cracking, but it will arm you with a tool to prevent any cracks that appear in your dash from growing any larger, completely ruining your dashboard (or ruining it even more).

The trick to prevent your dashboard from self-destroying is to spot the cracks as soon as they appear! and apply the crack arrest technique immediately. In some cases this is difficult as sometimes cracks appear from one day to the next and they are already long. If this is the case, you can prevent them from growing any longer.

CRACK ARREST TECHNIQUE - PROCEDURE:
1. At the first observation of a crack, immediately remove your vehicle from the heat (sun exposure etc)
2. find the VERY tip of the crack.
3. VISUALIZE THE VERY VERY VERY TIP of the crack by: using your finger tips to apply outwards friction as to cause the VERY tip of the crack to open a bit. In this way you will see exactly where the crack tip is (be careful as your dash is very fragile at this point. too much pressure will cause your fingers to go through the dash. With this in mind I emphasize that the pressure is friction outwards as to cause the crack to open slightly at the tip, and not inwards into the dash. Purpose: exactly visualize where crack ends)
4. grab a pin (as what comes in new clothes), use a rag to grab it from the pointy side.
5. heat up the head of the pin with a lighter. Get it sufficiently hot so that it melts the dashboard material as it touches it (it doesnt require much heat. Do not set the thing on fire)
6. BURN a ROUND whole at the very very very tip of the crack, Even better if: assuming your crack is growing from left to right, have the left region of the pin head burn the very crack tip, and the remainder of the pin head burn slightly ahead of the crack.

7) remove any excess plastic with your finger tips.

If the Crack Arrest Technique was done correctly, you will have effectively reduced the stress at the region around the tip of the crack, and this will prevent further crack growth. This has worked very well for me and it arrested further crack growth in ALL of my cracks. I made a youtube video of this procedure and it can be located by searching for the exact title of this thread on youtube: "Dashboard cracks - How to stop them (Crack Arrest Technique) - Lexus Toyota Acura"

If your crack continued to grow, you did not effectively catch the crack tip, and the crack had already passed the location where your hole was burnt. Solution: Repeat procedure, but be sure to catch the crack tip and burn over it, or a bit ahead of it, as explained in item 6.

FACTS that you SHOULD KNOW:
1. There are two types of Lexus (Toyota) owners: the ones that already have dash cracks, and the ones that will eventually have them them. It's pertinent to understand that there is simply a flaw in the selection of materials of these dashboards, and they simply embrittle and loose their ability to expand with changes in temperature. This causes stresses in the material that are only relieved by developing cracks.

2. Changes in temperature are what cause the cracks to grow for the reason explained in item one. Therefore, parking in garages as much as possible, and using sun shades for the windshield (which I abhor) are in your best interest.

3. Inspect your dash at all times for new cracks and treat them immediately. That same day.

This is clearly an engineering fault (in the material selection) and has little to do with owner input, unless the dashboard was cleaned with solutions that accelerate material embrittlement.

This technique worked well for me. I waited six months before posting it to make sure it did prevent further crack growth. Results indicate that the crack arrest technique effectively and completely stopped the growth of cracks in the dashboard of my 2005 Lexus GX470. This technique can be applied to the dash board of other models, but I have not tried it in any other vehicles. I hope this helps many of you out there.

Sincerely,

Orlando
Attached Thumbnails Dashboard cracks - How to stop them (the Crack Arrest Technique) - Lexus Toyota Acura-dash-crack-arrested.png  

Last edited by oardila99; 10-25-12 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-29-12, 07:48 AM
adairmwa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Dashboard

In reply to Olando's questions regarding how Lexus responded to our request for help in repairing the dashboard.

I wrote them in late June. I was asked to take it for verification to a nearest Lexus dealership (which was 3 hours away). We went on a Saturday and the Service MANAGER was not on duty... and only HE can do this paperwork for verification. So, we went again about six weeks later to get this paperwork so that it could be faxed to Lexus. I had to write a letter about where our car was serviced...it was NOT done at Lexus -- given the distance. Our car has been garage kept; no amorall has been used on the dash, etc.; we use a sunshade when we are parked outside (i.e. traveling, etc.). They reviewed and offered us half off the RETAIL of the dash and HALF off the installation. Given the car is 8 years old, we assume this is 'fair'.... but we are STILL disappointed with the fact that the crack appeared and has spread voraciously. Our cost for this will be $800... but we LOVE the car, plan on keeping it (only has 105,000 miles) and are overall pleased with the body style and performance.

Last edited by adairmwa; 10-29-12 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-04-12, 02:08 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent tip. It takes the stress off end of the crack and distributes it around the circle. Good work.
Old 11-13-12, 03:46 AM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ancient
Excellent tip. It takes the stress off end of the crack and distributes it around the circle. Good work.
Exactly, it just significantly reduces the stress at the crack front, such that... the circle made by the burnt-through hole expands elastically, whereas without it, the crack would have to grow to allow for expansion. To this day I've arrested every crack on my dash on its toes, and not a single one has continued growing. I will post more pics when I get a chance. I think I rather see a 3 cm crack with a round at the end, than a huge crack all across my dashboard from left to right. Cracks still look ugly, but it's not a bad option while you figure out what to do about them (replace the car, get a new dash cover, or stick with your cracks all together).

Good luck. Remember that the key is to catch them when they FIRST form, and they grow ultra fast if not caught.

Good luck.