GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 '05 with 107k miles - preventive maintenance? Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 07:39 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GX470 '05 with 107k miles - preventive maintenance? Where to start?

I recently bought a 2005 Lexus GX470. Truck has 107k miles and it's in excellent shape.
Previous owner was very regular when it came to maintenance and he gave me records of everything that was done. Truck was serviced at very reputable and $$$ Japanese car shop, not dealer.

Here is a short list of what was done:

New radiator and thermostat @ 67k miles
New Timing Belt, Water Pump and number of tensioners @ 93k miles
AT fluid flushed @ 68k miles
Differential fluids and transfer case fluid replaced @ 93k miles, and twice before that.
PS and Brake fluid replaced @ 80k miles
Rear shocks replaced @ 39k miles due to leak
Front shocks replaced @ 62k miles
New Michelin M/S2 Tires @ 96k miles

Based on all the paperwork i have, i can conclude that my truck still has the following, never replaced:
- Original starter
- Original alternator
- Original serpentine belt
- Original radiator hoses
- Original Fuel filter & fuel pump
- Original spark plugs & coils
- Most of the original coolant

In addition, on the repair receipts, under the transfer case service, i see that the repair shop was using "ATF" and no other details are given about the fluid. Should i be concerned? Is "ATF" good for the transfer case?

Like i said, the truck currently drives fine and does not appear to have any issues, except one torn inner CV boot. I am replacing the boots this weekend.

I am planning to drive this SUV mostly on long trips to our mountain cabin. It's a ~4 hour drive, half of it is in the hills/mountains. During the winter, it gets cold, slippery, and traffic can get slow and brutal. You do not want to have a major car breakdown there, especially when you have your family and gear in the car.

So, based on the list i provided above, what would you suggest i replace/inspect soon, before i start driving the car to the mountains? I am perfectly OK with spending some $$$ on preventive stuff, but if these cars are rock solid and most of the stock components usually last 150k+ miles, maybe i am OK for another year or two. On the other hand, if there are well known "Weak" components that can leave me stranded on the road - i don't want to risk it. I am especially concerned about items such as - starter, alternator, fuel system, as they can leave me stuck.

What is your take on this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by danmm7; 10-03-12 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-28-12, 09:01 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danmm7
I recently bought a 2005 Lexus GX470. Truck has 107k miles and it's in excellent shape.
Previous owner was very regular when it came to maintenance and he gave me records of everything that was done. Truck was serviced at very reputable and $$$ Japanese car shop, not dealer.

Here is a short list of what was done:

New radiator and thermostat @ 67k miles
New Timing Belt, Water Pump and number of tensioners @ 93k miles and twice before that.
AT fluid flushed @ 68k miles
Differential fluids and transfer case fluid replaced @ 93k miles, and twice before that.
PS and Brake fluid replaced @ 80k miles
Rear shocks replaced @ 39k miles due to leak
Front shocks replaced @ 62k miles
New Michelin M/S2 Tires @ 96k miles

Based on all the paperwork i have, i can conclude that my truck still has the following, never replaced:
- Original starter
- Original alternator
- Original serpentine belt
- Original radiator hoses
- Original Fuel filter & fuel pump
- Original spark plugs & coils
- Most of the original coolant

In addition, on the repair receipts, under the transfer case service, i see that the repair shop was using "ATF" and no other details are given about the fluid. Should i be concerned? Is "ATF" good for the transfer case?

Like i said, the truck currently drives fine and does not appear to have any issues, except one torn inner CV boot. I am replacing the boots this weekend.

I am planning to drive this SUV mostly on long trips to our mountain cabin. It's a ~4 hour drive, half of it is in the hills/mountains. During the winter, it gets cold, slippery, and traffic can get slow and brutal. You do not want to have a major car breakdown there, especially when you have your family and gear in the car.

So, based on the list i provided above, what would you suggest i replace/inspect soon, before i start driving the car to the mountains? I am perfectly OK with spending some $$$ on preventive stuff, but if these cars are rock solid and most of the stock components usually last 150k+ miles, maybe i am OK for another year or two. On the other hand, if there are well known "Weak" components that can leave me stranded on the road - i don't want to risk it. I am especially concerned about items such as - starter, alternator, fuel system, as they can leave me stuck.

What is your take on this?

Thanks in advance!
FWIW, it's very unlikely you have the original serpentine belt and coolant if the timing belt and the radiator have been changed...

Seems like a well maintained rig. You might think about replacing the rear shocks so they "match" the fronts, but they are $$. See sewell parts online for a great deal on them. Super easy DIY.
Old 09-28-12, 02:57 PM
danmm7
Driver

Originally Posted by stiles_s
FWIW, it's very unlikely you have the original serpentine belt and coolant if the timing belt and the radiator have been changed...

Seems like a well maintained rig. You might think about replacing the rear shocks so they "match" the fronts, but they are $$. See sewell parts online for a great deal on them. Super easy DIY.
Good point on the coolant and new radiator. what was i thinking? It can't be the original coolant of course.

Any concerns around the starter and alternator on these trucks? Reliable? Long lasting?
Old 10-02-12, 04:01 PM
Lexor470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danmm7
Good point on the coolant and new radiator. what was i thinking? It can't be the original coolant of course.

Any concerns around the starter and alternator on these trucks? Reliable? Long lasting?
I wouldn't know much about the alternator or starter, but they should last for a while. There should be a service schedule by Lexus.
Old 10-02-12, 04:09 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternator should be fine. It's the serpentine belt that should definitely be checked if it hasn't already been replaced.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 10-02-12, 06:47 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Timing belt and water pump at 93K and TWICE before that?? Am I reading that right, three timing belts already??
Old 10-02-12, 09:51 PM
danmm7
Driver

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Timing belt and water pump at 93K and TWICE before that?? Am I reading that right, three timing belts already??
Sorry, this was a typo. I was referring to the differential fluids, but put it on the wrong place.
T-belt was replaced only once @ 93k miles.
Old 10-03-12, 03:29 AM
ALAN553
Racer

I would start with changing plugs, PCV valve, air filter, cabin filter. No fuel filter, it is in the gas tank, fuel pump..I have a friend with a land cruiser, pump went at 250 K, serpentine belt probably, 10 minutes in the driveway, a few scraped elbows..
Old 10-03-12, 08:57 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

ATF is fine, that is the standard Lexus went into for Lexus Cars and Trucks , the standard was called as WS-ATF. the purpose was to reduce maintenance costs and increase the mileage between scheduled Maintenance checks. The pupose was that 100,000 Maintenance Interval only for inspection and topping up and the Lexus ATF-WS does not require flushing or changing the fluid during the life of the vehicle.
Old 10-03-12, 12:39 PM
danmm7
Driver

Originally Posted by mann777
ATF is fine, that is the standard Lexus went into for Lexus Cars and Trucks , the standard was called as WS-ATF. the purpose was to reduce maintenance costs and increase the mileage between scheduled Maintenance checks. The pupose was that 100,000 Maintenance Interval only for inspection and topping up and the Lexus ATF-WS does not require flushing or changing the fluid during the life of the vehicle.
But doesn't the transfer case require gear oil? ATF seems too thin?
I talked to Toyota dealer, and he said that they put gear oil 75W-90 (GL-5) in the transfer cases of all 4runners, FJ cruisers, etc. He said that ATF won't kill the transfer case, but it is not the best thing for it.
Amsoil's web site, also recommends gear oil for the Lexus GX transfer case and both differentials. I usually trust Amsoil with their recommendations. Am i wrong?

For the actual 5-speed transmission, ATF-WS is what needs to go in. I got that part.
Old 10-03-12, 07:18 PM
ALAN553
Racer

GL-5 goes in the transfer case and both differentials