GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 GX470 - Torn inner CV boot - hard to fix??

Old 09-23-12, 11:51 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2005 GX470 - Torn inner CV boot - hard to fix??

Hello All!

I just bought a 2005 GX470 with 107k miles. Very happy with my purchase. The truck is in great condition, very well maintained, super clean, with lots of service records. Previous original owner did not skip any of the recommended items when it came to service, including T-belt, water pump, etc.

However, while inspecting the SUV today, i found one problem. On the driver side, the inner CV boot is torn and it is spraying some gray looking grease around. The passenger side, looks fine.

My question is... how hard is to replace the torn CV boot on these trucks? Do i need any special tools? Should i just replace the boot(s) or do the whole CV axle? Autozone has the boot repair kit @ $20 each, or the entire axle for $75. I have no idea how much a shop would charge for this job.

I've replaced CV boots on Nissan Maxima and old Audi in the past and it was a doable but time consuming task. Both times, i wished i replaced the entire axle vs dealing with fixing individual CV boots.

If you have any diagrams, step-by-step, and other tips, i would really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 09-24-12, 02:47 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Éasily doable, if you have done them before, just get the OEM parts from the Toyota Spare parts( (boots, clamps, and grease come in a kit) , and the grease. And you are good to go. It would be better you do both the wheels together. Try asking for CV Split boots, from the dealers, some stock these and some dont, this will make your job easier, without having to remove the torsion bars . But you have to remove the wheel, brake caliper, hub, plus the steering knuckle connections, etc. for each side. cheers
Old 09-24-12, 09:21 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did a CV boot on a 2004 F-150 and the suck factor was high.

it was lifted though, and nothing went back together correctly.

my now wife - gf at the time - nearly dumped me over that one. two days in the shop over christmas and missing out on family things. not good.
Old 09-24-12, 09:51 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to change my inner bottom boot as well. Was quoted $175 parts & labor.
Old 09-24-12, 12:22 PM
danmm7
Driver

Originally Posted by infinirx
I need to change my inner bottom boot as well. Was quoted $175 parts & labor.
I called independent shops here in the area and i got quotes for $250-300, for parts & labor.

Local toyota dealer has the CV boot kit for $55. I am planning to buy it and attempt to replace the boots myself this weekend or next week. Hopefully this will not turn into a 2 day ordeal.
Old 09-24-12, 04:39 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My shop has very reasonable rates. Did my timing belt (complete) for about $800 parts and labor. It's a small shop. Very happy to have found it.
Old 09-24-12, 10:29 PM
bauer26
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking at having to completely replace the inner boot and repacking it with grease you are best to just do the whole axle. Personally, I'm not a fan of split cv boot repair kits so in the end its less overall work to do the shaft than it is to do just the boot. RockAuto carries them. Just bought both passenger and driver side axles for 44$ a piece (Cardone Select) NAPA sells the exact axles rebranded as their own for 100$ and change.

Last edited by bauer26; 09-24-12 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-25-12, 07:25 AM
RandomTech
Rookie

Is it leaking just at the inner boot clamp? The clamps loosen on that model and leak grease - you can simply replace the clamp and save yourself a ton of hassle. Get a small aftermarket clamp and this tool: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ntent=17631667
Old 09-25-12, 08:59 AM
danmm7
Driver

Originally Posted by RandomTech
Is it leaking just at the inner boot clamp? The clamps loosen on that model and leak grease - you can simply replace the clamp and save yourself a ton of hassle. Get a small aftermarket clamp and this tool: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ntent=17631667
No, it is not the clamp. The actual rubber part is broken. I need a new boot.
Old 09-25-12, 09:02 AM
danmm7
Driver

Originally Posted by bauer26
If you are looking at having to completely replace the inner boot and repacking it with grease you are best to just do the whole axle. Personally, I'm not a fan of split cv boot repair kits so in the end its less overall work to do the shaft than it is to do just the boot. RockAuto carries them. Just bought both passenger and driver side axles for 44$ a piece (Cardone Select) NAPA sells the exact axles rebranded as their own for 100$ and change.
I was with you on that one - just get a new axle from Autozone for $75.
Then a good friend of mine who works on german cars a lot told me that aftermarket, non-OEM axles are junk. He told me to stay away from them.

Now i am confused what to do. Putting a new axle, will be faster and not as expensive (OEM boot kit $55 vs $75 aftermarket axle) but...what if the Autozone axle really is junk and it fails in a year or two??
Old 09-25-12, 02:11 PM
bauer26
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danmm7
Now i am confused what to do. Putting a new axle, will be faster and not as expensive (OEM boot kit $55 vs $75 aftermarket axle) but...what if the Autozone axle really is junk and it fails in a year or two??
I was in the same boat, it was hard to find OEM axles. I researched around and found the Cardone select axles to have the highest overall ratings from other customers among aftermarket options. I took the plunge and went with them. Guess Ill find out in a year or two whether they hold up or not. If they do fail Ill go with OEM remanufactured axles as they still have the original core.

Only time will tell.
Old 09-26-12, 07:18 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by danmm7
I was with you on that one - just get a new axle from Autozone for $75.
Then a good friend of mine who works on german cars a lot told me that aftermarket, non-OEM axles are junk. He told me to stay away from them.

I had my inner and outter boots replaced a few months ago (I have a post on here about it) because one of my boots was torn. Like others suggested buy the complete boot kit (inner and outter front boots, clamps) from Toyota and find an indy shop to install them for $250 - $350.

Take care of all of them at once since they are the same age and that way you will not have to worry about them for another 100k miles, but I suggest getting it done soon, as you will have bigger problems if dirt and junk gets in there.
Old 09-26-12, 12:03 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I have 125,000 on mine and so far only had to replace one broken clamp, but when the time comes I will use OEM and pay someone to do the job...it is messy.
Old 09-27-12, 10:50 AM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All this talk of replacing CV boots has me wondering if there is anything one could do to protect these boots from becoming cracked in the first place, some sort of preventive maintenance? other than keeping them clean.
Old 09-27-12, 01:32 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MSGX470
All this talk of replacing CV boots has me wondering if there is anything one could do to protect these boots from becoming cracked in the first place, some sort of preventive maintenance? other than keeping them clean.
i have had the same thought. i wonder if a good soaking with 303 aerospace protectant would keep the rubber more supple and less prone to cracking.

once a year i take out all of my roof trim and give it a good 303 bath and scrub to get the winter junk out and it has kept it looking nice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 GX470 - Torn inner CV boot - hard to fix??