GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 GX470 - Torn inner CV boot - hard to fix??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 09:14 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Job done!

Just a quick update...

CV Boot was successfully replaced yesterday. It took me about 2hrs from jacking up the truck to putting everything back together, including refilling new differential fluid. I had my brother help me. If i was all alone, 3hrs would be sufficient.

As long as you have the right axle nut socket and extension bar....and ideally(but not mandatory) an impact gun/compressor, it is one of the easier jobs i've done any car. The axle came out easily. Replacing the torn boot was a bit messy, but if you have rubber disposable gloves on, this is not an issue. The OEM Toyota CV boot kit included everything necessary - boots, clamps, grease, C-rings. It cost me $55 at local dealer, but you can get it online for $35. This is for 2 OEM CV boots (inner & outer).

Drove the car around for 40-50 miles, everything looks fine. I am happy that i did not go with $75 aftermarket axle from Autozone.

Next project... putting new front brake rotors and brake pads. Existing pads have 2-3mm left.

Thanks for all the input on this thread.
Old 09-30-12, 02:35 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by danmm7
Just a quick update...

CV Boot was successfully replaced yesterday. It took me about 2hrs from jacking up the truck to putting everything back together, including refilling new differential fluid. I had my brother help me. If i was all alone, 3hrs would be sufficient.

As long as you have the right axle nut socket and extension bar....and ideally(but not mandatory) an impact gun/compressor, it is one of the easier jobs i've done any car. The axle came out easily. Replacing the torn boot was a bit messy, but if you have rubber disposable gloves on, this is not an issue. The OEM Toyota CV boot kit included everything necessary - boots, clamps, grease, C-rings. It cost me $55 at local dealer, but you can get it online for $35. This is for 2 OEM CV boots (inner & outer).

Drove the car around for 40-50 miles, everything looks fine. I am happy that i did not go with $75 aftermarket axle from Autozone.

Next project... putting new front brake rotors and brake pads. Existing pads have 2-3mm left.

Thanks for all the input on this thread.
GOOD CHOICE. axle replacement is a bad idea. aftermarket axles are completely inferior to the factory ones.

Brakes....are you sure you need rotors? they last a long time. if you remove the caliper, MAKE SURE YOU TIGHTEN THE HARD BRAKE LINES ATTACHED TO THE CALIPERS. just removing those calipers can make those brake line fittings loosen up enough to leak.
Old 10-01-12, 11:35 AM
rrj_gamz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Paying someone to do mine, I found a cheaper place in Dallas to do it, but since I'm in Houston, had to pay a little more...