DIY Spark Plugs 04 GX 470 - Page 8 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DIY Spark Plugs 04 GX 470

Old 08-26-17, 10:03 PM
FlexyLexi
Driver School Candidate

Just bought a GX470 from the original owner with 216k miles. He had all the service records from the dealer (90 pages!), and I couldn't find any evidence of the plugs ever having been changed . So, I decided I better do it. I went with the NGK iridium IX which was ~$7 a plug. There are more expensive iridium plugs but who knows what the difference between "laser" and "IX" is. Everything went pretty smoothly. Only tip I have is it would probably be slightly easier with a cool engine...I was playing hot potato with the plugs and plug wrench lol!
Old 09-05-17, 09:23 AM
dchan865
Rookie

Originally Posted by FlexyLexi View Post
Just bought a GX470 from the original owner with 216k miles. He had all the service records from the dealer (90 pages!), and I couldn't find any evidence of the plugs ever having been changed . So, I decided I better do it. I went with the NGK iridium IX which was ~$7 a plug. There are more expensive iridium plugs but who knows what the difference between "laser" and "IX" is. Everything went pretty smoothly. Only tip I have is it would probably be slightly easier with a cool engine...I was playing hot potato with the plugs and plug wrench lol!
I was amazed that the spark plugs last so long for the rig. I had my original ones replaced for the 1st time recently at about 215K miles when I had my timing belt done. Most of the mileage are freeway miles so not sure if that help with the longevity.
Old 09-05-17, 05:46 PM
FlexyLexi
Driver School Candidate

Mine seemed to be in decent shape too. Still probably a good idea to change them more frequently-you don't want them to get seized in the engine block!
Old 10-03-17, 08:33 AM
deeken
Rookie

Just replaced my plugs last night. Took me about 2.5 hours to complete. I took my time doing it and wasn't in any hurry. I cleaned up all the connectors and added dielectric grease for a nice, secure connection. The original plugs were NGK laser Iridium's. I replaced them withDenso SK20R11. When I first started up the car it started revving up high around 2.5k RPMs and started to fluctuate from low to high. I thought I broke something. Eventually it settled down around 1k. I took it for a little spin and it seemed a little peppier. I also cleaned out the throttle body while I had the intake off. One less task for me to complete.
Old 10-10-17, 06:23 AM
bkingsle8
Driver School Candidate

Nice write up - OEM plugs is the way to go (NGK/Denso)! Definitely do this on a cool engine, if the heads are hot, and the plug threads are softer, you run an increased risk of cross-threading them if inserted wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Spark Plugs 04 GX 470

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: