GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

08 Acura MDX-55000 miles or 07 Lexus GX470-70000 miles: Which one better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 12:05 PM
cmui78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Acura MDX-55000 miles or 07 Lexus GX470-70000 miles: Which one better?

2008 Acura MDX with 55000 miles or 2007 Lexus GX470 with 70000 miles - which one would you recommend.

I am currently driving a 2005 MDX. I love it. It did not really give me any trouble since I got it in 2008, and spoiled me with its navi and rear camera that I may not know how to drive a car without them. Planning to trade it up to a newer car. For my price range, I am thinking about choosing between 2008 MDX with around 55k mile or a 2007 GX470 with around 70k mile. While I love MDX, I also heard a lot of good comments about Lexus GX.

My conditions:
- Liability is very important to me as the entire family uses 1 car. My wife and I need it for going to work.
- I often do local shopping with parents, so the car often needs to sit 6 people for short trips. 4 adults and 2 kids.
- I drove about 6k to 7k miles per year on average.
- Off Road... less than 2 hours in last 4 years.
- I plan to use the newer car for 4 years or more.
- I live in New Jersey.

Any opinion are welcome.

Anyone know any if there are any common problems to 2007 Lexus GX?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-16-12, 07:07 PM
brycejaq
Driver

This must be a trick question. You do realize you're posting this question on a website where people will buy a Lexus/Toyota over anything else (if they're anything at all like me and my wife are anyways)...

We would buy my 06 GX again in a heartbeat. Had ours since August '09 (it had 40k on it then), now in August '12, it's got almost 90k and all we've had to do so far is buy tires for it. Best vehicle for the money by far. Just my 2 cents.

Hope to see you around shortly...
Old 08-16-12, 07:35 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of our members have had and made that same decision - Acura is reliable, but most found the features and styling of the GX more appealing.

Do a search, as I think this comparison was made before.
Old 08-17-12, 06:06 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a 1st gen MDX and it was a great little SUV. The 2nd gen MDX are very nice on the inside, very "techy" feeling but I hate the front end of the MDX and TL, FUGLY!!!

If you like a car ride get a MDX, if you like the SUV / truck ride get a GX.
Old 08-17-12, 06:31 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

^^---- nuff said
Old 08-17-12, 09:19 AM
Vims
Rookie

Default Gx

I was always thinking about getting GX, i got it recently.(07 GX470) It is more attractive than Acura from my opinion. Running very good, have enough h/p. I am almost live in the truck :-)
I'd definitively go with GX . Just my 2 cents...
Good luck with any of your choice :-)
Old 08-17-12, 07:37 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Apples and oranges really, one is a car based crossover and the other is a truck base. To me Lexus has always been a step up from Acura and I always liked the ride position in the GX- much higher than the MDX. V8 engine vs. a V6, really different vehicles all together.
Old 08-18-12, 03:25 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Apples and oranges really, one is a car based crossover and the other is a truck base. To me Lexus has always been a step up from Acura and I always liked the ride position in the GX- much higher than the MDX. V8 engine vs. a V6, really different vehicles all together.
I agree, my wife drove the truck for 3 years before I took it over. The ride wore her out around town picking up kids up and down driveways, speed bumps, climbing in, our older parents had trouble navigating the running boards and climbing in...it's a truck. We got her a Mazda CX 9, lower, no running boards, unibodody construction, Independent rear axle, it was a sports car with AWD and seated 7. She loved , and I must admit, fun to drive, actually easier to handle in the slippery weather, operated primarily as a front wheel drive until all wheels are needed, brakes better and lower center of gravity and probably wider wheel base....that all being said, I would buy the GX for myself. Apples and oranges.
If towing is a concern...the GX.

Last edited by ALAN553; 08-18-12 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 08-18-12, 01:16 PM
cmui78
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the replies....

For me, I want a reliable car to carry my family around. While I have no particular preference between a Truck base or car base, I like a car to be quiet and luxury. The GX is very attractive on this part.

I just went to check out a GX last night... While it is good car, but it does not fit my basic requirement which it needs to carry 6 people often... The first thing I tried was the 3rd row seat. These 3rd row seats are really too tiny (the height), and I don't think my son can sit in there comfortably even for short ride. So... I would give it up no method how good are the other areas....
Old 08-18-12, 02:17 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MDX won't carry 6 comfortably either. I think you need to be looking at bigger vehicles.
Old 08-18-12, 04:39 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
The MDX won't carry 6 comfortably either. I think you need to be looking at bigger vehicles.
Agree that the MDX won't seat six comfortably--after all, it's a much smaller vehicle than the GX. Maybe time to look at the LX Lexus or something like a Suburban--oh wait, you wanted maximum reliability didn't you.
Old 08-18-12, 05:40 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You should consider an AWD toyota sienna
Old 08-19-12, 07:57 PM
XBoom
Driver School Candidate

I should have a helpful answer for you. I own a 2006 MDX (realize it's a design before the 2008) which I bought new, and I just bought a 2005 GX470.
- reliability: Acura and Lexus are both extremely reliable. I'd say no difference here
- sitting 6 people - about the same: you'll need to use ONE or two of the rear seats. the rear seats split on both. In either car you would NOT want to torcher an adult by sitting in the rear seats.
- LIability? Not sure what you mean
- off road less than 2 hours / year? BIGGEST DIFFERENCE: (1) The MDX is built on a Honda Odyssey frame (I'm somewhat certain - at least the 2006 generation). It rides and drives like a car and will engage any of the 4 wheels when needed ("all wheel drive"). You can only FORCE it to be in "4WD" when you have the shifter in 1st or 2nd gear and you push a button. (2) the GX is built on a 4runner frame which is essentially a truck frame with a REAL 4WD system - you can put it in 4wd at any speed...AND if you need the low range gear, you can switch it into LOW from a standstill.

My opinion - since you don't live in a frequently-snowing area, get the MDX.

My MDX averages about 19MPG and the GX averages about 16. My wife drives the MDX but I wanted the GX because I need to get into the outback on bad dirt roads in WA state to go fishing ;-). We've had our MDX for 5 years and it still feels, drives, and acts like new - we love it. It has about 82k miles on it and we'll keep it until probably 150k miles.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-20-12, 12:30 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

"the GX is built on a 4runner frame which is essentially a truck frame with a REAL 4WD system - you can put it in 4wd at any speed...AND if you need the low range gear, you can switch it into LOW from a standstill."

So this is why so many here refer the GX to being a truck? In the end is a really awesome SUV with some great truck capabilities.
Old 08-20-12, 05:08 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
"the GX is built on a 4runner frame which is essentially a truck frame with a REAL 4WD system - you can put it in 4wd at any speed...AND if you need the low range gear, you can switch it into LOW from a standstill."

So this is why so many here refer the GX to being a truck? In the end is a really awesome SUV with some great truck capabilities.
Yes, exactly. It's known as body-on-frame construction (as compared to a unibody/car) and is how most trucks are built. Body-on-frame is substantially stronger and more rugged than unibody if you take your vehicle off-road. Plus, since it's essentially a Toyota truck, you can buy many after-market truck accessories like lift kits, etc.

The GX shares the frame & driveline with the V8 4Runner and the Australian Prado. The GX470 body is a derivative of the Prado, while the newer GX460 body is a derivative of the 4Runner. Personally, I like the 470 better than the 460.

However, if you don't require a rugged off-road vehicle, a typical crossover with AWD (as compared to real 4WD with a low-range) like the MDX or Lexus RX might be a better vehicle choice. Since we live in western Colorado, where there are many more miles of dirt roads and trails than pavement, the GX was a better choice for us. Our GX will spend many hours off-road.

Last edited by RickC5; 08-20-12 at 05:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 08 Acura MDX-55000 miles or 07 Lexus GX470-70000 miles: Which one better?