GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Couple questions on non-NAV/non-ML audio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 12:57 PM
Kermee
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Couple questions on non-NAV/non-ML audio?

Hi All,

I've done some reading and searching here on CL and I kind of have an idea where I'd like to do to upgrade the audio and electronics in the car.

I haven't picked a new 2-DIN head-unit, but I've decided to go the Beat Sonic SLA-81 route, have the faceplate color-matched, and keep the factory amplifier. Then get an Axxess ASWC to keep my steering-wheel controls. Upon going this route, I at least wanted to change out the two front woofers in the vehicle with something that has a bit more bass response. So my questions are:
1. There is a post here that states the impedance of the system is 2 ohms (non-ML) and that ML speakers are 8 ohms. I'm assuming if I wanted to find replacement woofers, they would have to be 2 ohms also? I'm too timid to pry off the paneling to actually take a look of what's in there.

2. This question is mostly subjective, but how decent is the non-ML factory amplifier? I believe it's made by Pioneer, correct? Is it going to have issues if I change out the OEM woofer with something else?
I thought about just going completely aftermarket, but at least I can go this route first and see if it's enough to keep me happy or if I'm going to go full-aftermarket with a new amplifier and speakers, but that'll probably easily double the cost. I'm not after audiophile quality or deep-thumping bass but the addition of NAV, Bluetooth hands-free and A2DP/AVRPC are my actual priorities. I have my home audio system to keep me happy with the 'thumping'

Any other tips/tricks/ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Kermee