GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

After nearly 7 great years I'm actually considering selling...

Old 07-15-12, 11:31 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chris! Just saw this thread. Congrats on #3!

I debate the same issue with myself on a weekly basis. Mine is an '04 with 78K. It is in great shape too and I have pretty much decided to keep it at least 1 more year. That is subject to change next week of course!

If you are moving up to a 26'+ boat, you are going to need something with more capacity than the GX. Your old SF 218 was about the same weight as my old Sea Pro 220. It weighed right at 5,000lbs. That 26' + will probably have twins and more fuel capacity than your 218. I think you will be well over the 6,500lb capacity of the GX. I have a client in TN who has a Sequoia and pulls an enclosed trailer all over the SE for work. He loves it and he is a hard core car guy. He has 3 Porsches for fun driving and 2 lifts in his garage.

I downsized boats and bought an older Grady 180. Even though it is 4' shorter it is only about 500lbs lighter.
Old 07-21-12, 07:09 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sprocket
Hey Chris! Just saw this thread. Congrats on #3!

I debate the same issue with myself on a weekly basis. Mine is an '04 with 78K. It is in great shape too and I have pretty much decided to keep it at least 1 more year. That is subject to change next week of course!

If you are moving up to a 26'+ boat, you are going to need something with more capacity than the GX. Your old SF 218 was about the same weight as my old Sea Pro 220. It weighed right at 5,000lbs. That 26' + will probably have twins and more fuel capacity than your 218. I think you will be well over the 6,500lb capacity of the GX. I have a client in TN who has a Sequoia and pulls an enclosed trailer all over the SE for work. He loves it and he is a hard core car guy. He has 3 Porsches for fun driving and 2 lifts in his garage.

I downsized boats and bought an older Grady 180. Even though it is 4' shorter it is only about 500lbs lighter.
Hey buddy. sorry just saw your post. Thanks! With less than a month to go before the newest family member enters our lives I think I am still in denial.

I still have my GX -- I've been rather unmotivated since the new boat will not come until next year. I was thinking though I might get more for it now vs Spring of '13 when it will be pushing 90k miles. I agree with you though, a little more mass, towing capacity, and room are most definitly going to be order with a bigger boat and 3rd kid.

So you downsized huh? Congrats on the new sled. Grady's are SOLID no doubt. If I recall you did pretty well on that Sea Pro when you bought, hopefully you did okay on the sale too esp considering the economy is a little better off today.. Out of curiousity, why did you decide to go with a smaller boat esp considering the weight difference seems to be negligable?
Old 07-23-12, 05:31 PM
sprocket
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cssnms
Hey buddy. sorry just saw your post. Thanks! With less than a month to go before the newest family member enters our lives I think I am still in denial.

I still have my GX -- I've been rather unmotivated since the new boat will not come until next year. I was thinking though I might get more for it now vs Spring of '13 when it will be pushing 90k miles. I agree with you though, a little more mass, towing capacity, and room are most definitly going to be order with a bigger boat and 3rd kid.

So you downsized huh? Congrats on the new sled. Grady's are SOLID no doubt. If I recall you did pretty well on that Sea Pro when you bought, hopefully you did okay on the sale too esp considering the economy is a little better off today.. Out of curiousity, why did you decide to go with a smaller boat esp considering the weight difference seems to be negligable?
Chris - the reason for downsizing was that last year I fished offshore about 6 times. Of the 6, only once was on my boat. Most of my fishing trips were on a friend's 31' Yellowfin. The majority of my use was inshore cruising and a couple of fishing trips along the beach. My only child, a daughter, is in college now, and I really didn't need a 22' boat. I got $17,500 for the Sea Pro which was a 2003 with 615 hours. The Grady 180 is a 1999 with 345 hours and was never fished. Not a crack anywhere! I bought the Grady for $10K without a trailer and a new trailer was $1,900. It was in Charleston, so I drove the GX up to pick it up.
Attached Thumbnails After nearly 7 great years I'm actually considering selling...-img-20120603-00531.jpg  

Last edited by sprocket; 07-23-12 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-26-12, 05:16 PM
cssnms
Racer

Chris - the reason for downsizing was that last year I fished offshore about 6 times. Of the 6, only once was on my boat. Most of my fishing trips were on a friend's 31' Yellowfin. The majority of my use was inshore cruising and a couple of fishing trips along the beach. My only child, a daughter, is in college now, and I really didn't need a 22' boat. I got $17,500 for the Sea Pro which was a 2003 with 615 hours. The Grady 180 is a 1999 with 345 hours and was never fished. Not a crack anywhere! I bought the Grady for $10K without a trailer and a new trailer was $1,900. It was in Charleston, so I drove the GX up to pick it up.

A nice boat and a few thousand back in your pocket, good on you! She sure is purdy looking and I am sure built like a brick **** house. Any projects planned i.e. t-top or keeping it clean?

I wish I had a friend with a 31 Yellowfin.
Old 07-27-12, 04:35 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

I know this is a GX forum, but I have to say the differences between the Grady and Sea Pro are significant. I haven't had the Grady offshore yet, but just taking wakes in the local lake is different. Not having the flex from the T-top is part of it, but there it is easy to tell the hull is much stronger. I can only imagine how the larger CC's ride. It is sort of like owning a Lexus, which makes it hard to go back to anything "lesser".

I'm going to keep the boat as is for now. It has room for 10 rods which is plenty for my use and a bimini for shade. The interesting thing is that it has a fresh water shower but no raw water washdown.

Back to the GX, I have found myself on the Tundrasolutions website daily. With 78K on my 2004 GX I'm still going back and forth over whether to keep it or replace it. Within the next year, it will need brakes, tires, timing belt and who knows what else. CV boots? If I put that much into it, I need to keep it another couple of years at least. The exterior is in good shape so I'm comfortable with how professional it looks. The miles are low but it is getting up there in years.

Those Tundras are pretty sweet, but I really don't need a truck.
Old 07-27-12, 10:08 AM
cssnms
Racer

I know this is a GX forum, but I have to say the differences between the Grady and Sea Pro are significant. I haven't had the Grady offshore yet, but just taking wakes in the local lake is different. Not having the flex from the T-top is part of it, but there it is easy to tell the hull is much stronger. I can only imagine how the larger CC's ride. It is sort of like owning a Lexus, which makes it hard to go back to anything "lesser".

I'm going to keep the boat as is for now. It has room for 10 rods which is plenty for my use and a bimini for shade. The interesting thing is that it has a fresh water shower but no raw water washdown.

Back to the GX, I have found myself on the Tundrasolutions website daily. With 78K on my 2004 GX I'm still going back and forth over whether to keep it or replace it. Within the next year, it will need brakes, tires, timing belt and who knows what else. CV boots? If I put that much into it, I need to keep it another couple of years at least. The exterior is in good shape so I'm comfortable with how professional it looks. The miles are low but it is getting up there in years.

Those Tundras are pretty sweet, but I really don't need a truck.
This is my thread, so it's okay to talk boats!

Tundras are sweet, in fact I was kicking around the idea of getting one (Limited w/crew cab), but that was before the new of baby 3, now I can forget about it... I just replaced my front CV boots at 75k miles and I have a bad front shock that needs to be replaced which will require replaceing both, so I expect the rears only have so long.

Like you I find myself constantly thinking about that laundy list of other "stuff" that my truck will require within a year or could just up and fail on me. I love this truck, so the idea of selling is difficult, but perhaps the feelings of remorse will be overshadowed by the feelings of joy driving around in a new Sequoia.
Old 07-27-12, 11:16 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cssnms
This is my thread, so it's okay to talk boats!

Tundras are sweet, in fact I was kicking around the idea of getting one (Limited w/crew cab), but that was before the new of baby 3, now I can forget about it... I just replaced my front CV boots at 75k miles and I have a bad front shock that needs to be replaced which will require replaceing both, so I expect the rears only have so long.

Like you I find myself constantly thinking about that laundy list of other "stuff" that my truck will require within a year or could just up and fail on me. I love this truck, so the idea of selling is difficult, but perhaps the feelings of remorse will be overshadowed by the feelings of joy driving around in a new Sequoia.
It is a tough decision. The most mileage I have ever had on a vehicle was 88K. Keeping the GX 3 more years will put me around 110K. Looking at the 100K+ thread does give me some confidence in keeping it. At the same time, I'd rather have a 2007 with 100K than a 2004 with 80K. Some stuff will go based on time, not miles. I know what the smart decision is, but we don't always do what we know makes sense.
Old 07-27-12, 05:12 PM
cssnms
Racer

Last year I was talking to a guy up at the dealer who owned a GX and he said he's owned it since new. His truck had 195k miles on it! He said he hasn't had one problem with it (not even a shock), he just gets the oil changed every 3k miles, and replaces the filters etc. I was shocked when he told me the mileage.
Old 07-30-12, 09:49 AM
Rgf49er
Driver School Candidate

keep your GX as you have a great truck and your insurance is getting cheaper too. the gas mileage is decent. I changed to an AEM dry filter and it improved my mpg 2 on the freeway. I have a 2004 I have owned since 10/2003 and has 156k miles ....