GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Dealer Says My Front CV Boots Need To Be Replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 05:13 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
how many miles on your 05 before they failed?
Truck has 75k miles now and from the looks of things they recently cracked.
Old 06-29-12, 12:28 PM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The boots on my 08' look very similar, you are going to get a little grease coming out of the boot ends on any four wheel drive vehicle, its not a big deal, the boots are just there to keep most of the dirt and water out, a small crack won't hurt unless you are in extreme off road situations often. I only replace CV boots when they are severely deteriorated, if your worried the joints are dry get a needle and pump some grease in through the crack.
Old 07-03-12, 08:46 AM
TopGear300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a quote of $298 OTD with parts and labor. Got an 04 with 128k

Im jumping on this because they are going to put in a new axle and redo both inner and outer boots. The driver side inner on my truck definitley broke open and there is grease sprayed all over the wheel well. Not Pretty. The passenger side is fine from what i can see.

At this price point, you can guess its at an indy, of which i have never worked with but comes highly recommended from some friends. I will do a post with before and after pics after they fix it!

Last edited by TopGear300; 07-05-12 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-03-12, 03:41 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by MSGX470
The boots on my 08' look very similar, you are going to get a little grease coming out of the boot ends on any four wheel drive vehicle, its not a big deal, the boots are just there to keep most of the dirt and water out, a small crack won't hurt unless you are in extreme off road situations often. I only replace CV boots when they are severely deteriorated, if your worried the joints are dry get a needle and pump some grease in through the crack.
The boots were split, not going to trip over dollars to save a few pennies. I take my truck on the beach in the obx each year not risking getting sand/salt in there.
Old 07-03-12, 03:43 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by TopGear300
Just got a quote of $298 OTD with parts and labor. Got an 04 with 128k

Im jumping on this because they are going to put in a new axel and redo both inner and outer boots. The driver side inner on my truck definitley broke open and there is grease sprayed all over the wheel well. Not Pretty. The passenger side is fine from what i can see.

At this price point, you can guess its at an indy, of which i have never worked with but comes highly recommended from some friends. I will do a post with before and after pics after they fix it!
You're right to jump on that, that's a very good price. My indy is usually VERY competative and usually cheaper than any other local shop.
Old 01-23-13, 02:33 PM
amcb
Driver School Candidate

Default CV joint replacement 2004 GX470

If i go aftermarket CV joint (half shafts), which is better??

Cardone
EMPI

others??
Old 01-23-13, 02:55 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brand new CV joint is only about $70. I wonder if it's worth even changing the boot right now or buying the whole part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130726218636...84.m1423.l2649
Old 01-29-13, 04:56 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

I'm in the same position with the driver's side boot leaking. Around here in Central FL, I have not found anyone who will pull the axle and just replace the boots. They all want to replace the axle with an aftermarket like Cardone. I haven't done the repair yet. I'd really like to keep the OEM axle and have the boots replaced, but it looks like it may cost more than getting the axle replaced.
Old 01-29-13, 04:45 PM
ZoeZhe04
Rookie

Originally Posted by cssnms
Replaced all 4 front boots with oem boots, $540 out the door.
Same quote by Lexus of Clearwater.
Old 01-30-13, 08:26 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Brand new CV joint is only about $70. I wonder if it's worth even changing the boot right now or buying the whole part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130726218636...84.m1423.l2649

Aftermarket CV axles are usually lower quality that any OEM CV axles. Some are very poorly made.
Search on Google for aftermarket CV joint/axle reviews and you'll find MANY horror stories.

If the OEM axle/joint is still alive and does not do any clicking, just replace the boots, using OEM boots from the dealer. You'll be set for another 100k miles!
Old 01-30-13, 08:33 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amcb
If i go aftermarket CV joint (half shafts), which is better??

Cardone
EMPI

others??

When I did my research, it sounded like ALL brands had issues with premature CV axle failures. Cardone and Napa had some positive reviews, more than the others.... but they also had a number of scary reviews on various car forums.
It was pretty clear (to me) that aftermarket CV axles are a big risk, regardless on what car you install it. This is why i went with the new OEM CV boots vs new/refurb non-OEM axle.

The CV axles do take a lot of stress, especially on 4WD heavy SUV. If they are not properly designed/rebuilt, one can really have a nasty failure in the middle of the road. Not fun!
Old 01-30-13, 11:15 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All great info on the aftermarket CV axles.
Old 04-06-14, 10:51 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Could lyou check these numbers with Sewell

I am having trouble matching up the numbers with Sewell. I am thinking of replacing all four boots.
Can you identify the parts based on the Sewell site? Thanks, al

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2006.html
Old 04-06-14, 07:15 PM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had BOTH FRONT INNER AND OUTER BOOTS replaced by the dealership. Piece of mind that they were installed correctly without loosing sleep over it. Plus the dealership will give you 1 year warranty on parts and labor.
Old 05-14-14, 04:15 PM
shinbo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys.. sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am hoping this is on topic.

Same thing happened today... took the GX in for an oil change at Toyota and after the oil change the service advisor said that the "Right Front Axle Boot Torn" Is that the same thing as the "CV boots"?

If so, can I just have one replace since it didn't mention the left axle?

Quick Reply: Dealer Says My Front CV Boots Need To Be Replaced...