GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Considering a 2008 GX with 52K miles???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 05:52 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Considering a 2008 GX with 52K miles???

Before I go any further with this deal, can anyone offer any advice?

Like:
What to specifically look for on the stealer's lot?
Or, what to try during the test drive?
Or, are 52K miles too many & why?
Or, what gas mileage I can expect?

This one's pretty loaded: NAV; DVD; Mark Levinson sound; dynamic suspension.

Asking price = about $35K.

TIA for any help.
Old 05-24-12, 07:17 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my 2008 with 67k miles for only 30k with the same options.

Check for the driveshaft clunk, it should be covered under powertrain warranty for that truck, if I'm not mistaken.
Obviously you want to check cv boots and diff cases as you would a normal 4wd truck. Sometimes these engines will crack a manifold, so if you here very loud ticking that goes away as the engine warms up, it may be the issue. Some ticking from the engine is normal though, just use common sense.

ensure that the ride adjustability does in fact adjust, if you cant feel the difference in the settings it could mean your height adjuster or other air ride parts are failing or have already failed. Those parts can get expensive.

Good luck, and get that price down some.
Old 05-24-12, 09:47 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that thing still under warranty? if not then that's alot of money regardless the year model...

anyway drive fast like up to 75mph on highway to check for vibration... gl
Old 05-24-12, 10:43 AM
Hedd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 07 around Christmas time with 62k on it. Since then I have had the clunk fixed under warranty (powertrain) and the passenger’s side exhaust manifold fixed under the emissions warranty. As said previously, if you hear it ticking when the motor is cold and it goes away then it's probably the manifold. Since the manifold and catalytic converter are one piece the emissions warranty should cover it.

The gas mileage isn't good but the truck sure is nice to drive!

Good luck
Old 05-24-12, 01:03 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

i notice ur in colorado... if you are anywhere near phil long ford you might wanna stop and test drive a gx470 over there... last time i checked they had several... gl
Old 05-24-12, 01:13 PM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Biggest "bonus" option would be the KDSS suspension package. It's pretty rare and supposedly makes a big difference in handling. Wish my rig had it.
Old 05-24-12, 04:08 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
I got my 2008 with 67k miles for only 30k with the same options.

Check for the driveshaft clunk, it should be covered under powertrain warranty for that truck, if I'm not mistaken.
Obviously you want to check cv boots and diff cases as you would a normal 4wd truck. Sometimes these engines will crack a manifold, so if you here very loud ticking that goes away as the engine warms up, it may be the issue. Some ticking from the engine is normal though, just use common sense.

ensure that the ride adjustability does in fact adjust, if you cant feel the difference in the settings it could mean your height adjuster or other air ride parts are failing or have already failed. Those parts can get expensive.

Good luck, and get that price down some.
I had my catalytic converter replaced under the emission warranty as well 2 years ago and now I have the ticking again, slight but all the time even when warm. I'll have to bring it back again
Old 05-25-12, 04:09 AM
dandg
Driver

You didn't mention if it was a CPO which would be some help if there are any issues as your just past the original manufactures warranty. I would also check tire tread depth.You can run the VIN on the Lexus owners site and see what has been done it a a Lexus dealer.

As to price,@ $35K with that many miles I would say its high. I just bought a 08 with 25k miles (CPO,Nav and Mark Levinson) for a little more)about 2k more) then that delivered. Surprisingly to some,me included,I found the best deals and GX's where at the Lexus dealers ( the other ones had higher miles and little warranty),also was able to take advantage of current CPO finance rate (.9 %). They also seem to be able to prep them a bit better (mine had new brakes/rotors,battery,filters alignment done) to get the CPO certification.

Last edited by dandg; 05-25-12 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-25-12, 05:42 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dandg
You didn't mention if it was a CPO which would be some help if there are any issues as your just past the original manufactures warranty. I would also check tire tread depth.You can run the VIN on the Lexus owners site and see what has been done it a a Lexus dealer.

As to price,@ $35K with that many miles I would say its high. I just bought a 08 with 25k miles (CPO,Nav and Mark Levinson) for a little more)about 2k more) then that delivered. Surprisingly to some,me included,I found the best deals and GX's where at the Lexus dealers ( the other ones had higher miles and little warranty),also was able to take advantage of current CPO finance rate (.9 %). They also seem to be able to prep them a bit better (mine had new brakes/rotors,battery,filters alignment done) to get the CPO certification.
The truck isn't a CPO or at a Lexus dealer. We don't even have a Lexus dealer here in Grand Junction. Closest one is in Denver, 250 miles away on the other side of the mountains. GX prices at the Denver Lexus dealers are in the same ballpark as this truck. 4WD vehicles always seem to retain their value a bit better here in Colorado--pretty strong demand for them.

I checked the VIN on the Lexus Owners site and found the truck had originally been sold in Reno, NV and service there for a year or so. Then nothing.

Although I like the truck, we taking a long road trip in our ES and any dealings on it will have to wait until we get back in June. If it's gone, se la vie!
Old 05-25-12, 07:35 AM
dandg
Driver

RickC5,

The dealer I bought mine from was 2 hrs away and worth the trip IMO,I did 250 mile search on the Lexus CPO site (very slow)and other (yahoo,carguru's) to get a good idea of what was avail and prices.Like you I live far away from most Lexus dealers(we have 1 here in NH).I would consider making another trip if I was buying one again,it may take a bit longer that one teim but well worth the piece of mind and you have a much better selection.
My "feeling" with the first gen (08-09's) GX is the real good low mileage trades stay at the Lexus dealer and get CPO'd,. The high mileage ones go to the auctions and are bid up buy several dealers,hence they don't offer as good a value as the trade (the dealer can get the GX for much less when its getting traded on a new one).

Keep us posted on your search.
Old 05-25-12, 08:55 PM
atokad
Driver School Candidate

If there is no Lexus dealer there, then you will have to bring it to Denver to get the drive shaft clunk fixed. I guess you already have a Lexus, so that probably won't be an issue for you.

I bought mine (here in the Denver market too) from a private owner. You will get a better price that way. ALL vehicles in Colorado seem high to me compared to the rest of the country. Captive Market. Where you going to go? Outside of the Front Range, Pueblo to Fort Collins, everything else is about 8 hours away. SLC, Omaha, Kansas City. They've "got us" by the short ....

I almost went to Dallas to get a GX with KDSS. WARNING about that, most dealers advertise KDSS because they don't really know what it is and think that "air suspension" and the "ride height control" means KDSS. It doesn't. When you turn the ignition on if the Yellow letters KDSS don't light up at the bottom of the instrument cluster, it doesn't have it.

On the other side of the coin, I am not very comfortable in mine. I don't care for the seating position as I am 6'4". The seat does not go low enough, or back far enough for me to be comfortable for long periods. So if you are tall, spend a lot of time in it first to see how it fits you. I didn't and I regret it.

If you still like it and the one out there is gone when you get back, send me a PM as I may want to sell mine. I'll give you the skinny on it, and I DO have KDSS!
Old 05-26-12, 03:49 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

UPDATE: Saturday, 5-26-12:

Well, we bought the GX this morning. Got the price down to $31,445.00, which seemed acceptable given the extremely nice condition of the vehicle. Of course, we got slammed on our trade-in, thanks to my "buddies" at the Honda dealer, who ALWAYS low-ball any trade-in vehicle, no matter how nice it is (the selling dealer asked the Honda sealer how much our Ridgeline was worth. Grrrrr.).

As some of you mentioned, this particular GX really doesn't have KDSS, but it does have XM sat radio, which we like for trips, and a near-new set of Michelin tires, two sets of floor mats, and a new windshield.

atokad: Thanks for the offer. At six feet, I'm quite comfortable in the GX. We took about a 30 mile test ride and it felt great!

Now we're a two-Lexus family!
Old 05-26-12, 06:56 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

good score... i am sure gx470 are hard to come by out there... please post some pics...
Old 05-26-12, 07:03 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by clubsport
good score... i am sure gx470 are hard to come by out there... please post some pics...
Very few Lexus available out here--regardless of the model. We feel very lucky to have found TWO late model used ones that were well taken care of by previous, local owners. Plus, we don't have any more Hondas, which may be even more of a blessing.
Old 05-27-12, 10:20 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

still wanna see some pics...

Quick Reply: Considering a 2008 GX with 52K miles???