GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Timing Belt - Questions, Concerns, Comments

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 10:06 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My neighbor has a '03 LX470 (same engine) and he replaced his TB at 150K. It was beginning to show a little fatigue but no indication at all that it was nearing failure.

Also, I know the parts manager at a highly regarded Toyota dealer in the Chicago area and he says he's never seen an indication that they need to be replaced prior to 125K.
Old 05-25-12, 10:12 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the tb cannot be done in your own garage? no diy for tb?...
Old 05-25-12, 12:16 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Toyota 4.7L V8 is an INTERFERENCE engine. What that means is that if you timing belt breaks when engine is running, the valves and pistons will occupy the same space at the same time, leading to a VERY expensive repair.

So I can summarize my advice in a few words: you can pay a little now, or a lot later. The choice is yours...
Old 05-25-12, 12:20 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by clubsport
so the tb cannot be done in your own garage? no diy for tb?...
If your experience as an auto mechanic is limited to replacing oil and air filter, then leave this job to a professional.
Old 05-25-12, 12:22 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

good call... thanx
Old 05-25-12, 03:33 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

No one has mentioned this specifically, but if you are having your timing belt replaced, be sure to have the water pump replaced at the same time. You will have to pay for the part, but not the labor, as they have to remove the water pump in order to replace the timing belt.

It's likely a Toyota or Lexus dealer will recommend this, and the reason it's a good idea is that Toyota water pumps are NOT known for their longivity.
Old 05-25-12, 03:35 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

another good call... thanx
Old 01-14-13, 10:55 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
Yes.. I have today completed the whole stuff replacing the timing belt.. Phew...blimey..that was a long job...2 days... I was just going by the sequence of removal to the LS..except there were Cam Shaft sensors.
Ok here what had to be replaced...As I check with one ace mechanic...also. While replacing the timing belt..you have to replace the Timing belt Idler pulley(2) , Water Pump housing, Chain Tensioner Assy( had mild traces of oil contents).

to replace the above..as usual the radiator, front whatever stuff has to be off, this was a pain...As i had to write down in sequence of removal. So that is why it took such long time...and thanks to my friend Gibson who was an invaluable support. Now I am back on the road,
Can you give any more information on this task you took on? What the cost of parts were, did you have a manual on how to put back the timing belt? If im correct there is a mark that needs to be lined up.

thank you
Old 01-14-13, 10:16 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

mann777 - ur the most wonderful member in this forum...

now why didn't you post your notes, pics, etc so the rest of us can do the same you did... thanx
Old 01-15-13, 06:21 AM
Mparent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sewell Parts shows $322.12 for the 90k kit which includes:
Timing Belt
Water Pump w/Gasket
2 Idler Pulleys
2 O-Rings
Coolant
I paid $800 (was told that was dealer cost when I bought my GX). I do wonder just how much work goes into the change and based on the previous post, sounds like 2 long days. Ugggg. Mike
Old 01-15-13, 06:24 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered the kit from sewell. I also added thermostat and gasket as well. I bought spark plugs already a few months ago so i think im ready to tackle it. Will keep everyone posted on how it turns out.
Old 01-15-13, 03:30 PM
HMCGARY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please post pictures and steps!
Old 01-15-13, 03:42 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I am due as well as I just hit 100k. I bought the Aisin timing belt kit that includes the waterpump, idler. Hydraulic tensioner etc. for $190 from Rockauto. I'm also going to pick up the Toyota coolant and thermostat. I have read on other forums it is a pretty big job but straight forward. I will have my mechanic install. I read somewhere to cut off the old timing belt to keep everything aligned. Anyone have trouble with this job as far as installing the belt itself?
Old 01-19-13, 04:54 AM
new2005GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I am due as well as I just hit 100k. I bought the Aisin timing belt kit that includes the waterpump, idler. Hydraulic tensioner etc. for $190 from Rockauto. I'm also going to pick up the Toyota coolant and thermostat. I have read on other forums it is a pretty big job but straight forward. I will have my mechanic install. I read somewhere to cut off the old timing belt to keep everything aligned. Anyone have trouble with this job as far as installing the belt itself?
Doing this job myself in the spring. Will take some pics. Plan on following the diy for the tundra 4.7 that is floating around in conjunction with the fsm.. I have all the tools the space and a spare vehicle. Only thing I need is time! Nowhere have I read that you need to cut the old belt, it should come right off after you remove the tensioner.
Old 01-20-13, 09:56 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

This job is not a easy one, as once you drain the coolant, Fan shrouds, Fan and the V belt, and the Engine Under Cover Plates, the Air Cleaner hose and the Radiator Supports around. This was just the easy job. The PITA just begins Once you begin to seperate the Compressor and the Idler Pulley, you must have the Crankshaft pulley removal tool to remove the crankshaft dampers bolt, Mine was pretty hard, I had to soak WD to have them soaked for 2 hours or so. Once you remove then the Crank Sensor Plate is removed, the Timing Belt can be removed( make sure before you remove them check the installation marks on the timing belts by turning them around , if they are disappeared, put a new mark before removing each part.. Now the main part comes when you set the No 1 cylinder to the required compression ratio you need to turn to align it to the marks of the crankshaft timing pulley and oil pump body. Another important part while you remove and install, ensure you have the setting of the crankshaft pulley at the correct angle.
Thumb-rule-
By turning the camshaft timing pulley clockwise it will be easy if you follow two important things.
1. 1/2 teeth turn for the left bank camshaft timing pulley

2. 1 teeth turn for the right bank camshaft timing pulley.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt - Questions, Concerns, Comments