GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Recommendation on maintenance service interval

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 10:10 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Recommendation on maintenance service interval

I have a 2009 GX that has been serviced at every 5k miles. However, last time it got the 90k mile service done at 87.6k miles, and I was considering stretching the next service until it reaches 95k miles just to make it easier to remember in future.

Is this too far of a gap in between and would this do more harm than good? I don't want to take any chances, so based on popular consensus I'd rather get the service done now than wait for the ODO reading to even out.
Old 05-14-12, 11:38 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can wait to 95k as long as the time gap isn't several years
Old 05-14-12, 01:36 PM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call me old fashioned, but I don't like running too many miles on my oil, even with synthetic. I change it in the 4-5k mile interval. These trucks are actually pretty easy to do it yourself.
Old 05-14-12, 02:27 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stretch it in your situation. Your not going to do any damage provided you didn't rag your truck out for those 7,500 miles.
Old 05-14-12, 05:49 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

I do very easy driving on the truck and don't push it hard at all. It's going to be another 3-4 months before it hits 95k miles.
I think I'll check the dipstick this weekend to see the oil's condition and If it is not too dark, I may defer it.

I was looking at my car's service history on the Lexus website and it only listed every 5k mile interval services that were done on it all the way from the beginning. Would these service have covered everything that is needed as part of regular maintenance, or is there anything extra that I should get done at this point. For example, would the differential or transfer case fluid, or power steering fluid been changed already?
Old 05-14-12, 06:05 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

the diff usually done at 15k, and the other are done mostly likely too if they did 5k interval, that is a very well maintained truck... ur lucky
Old 05-14-12, 07:01 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Matsui
I do very easy driving on the truck and don't push it hard at all. It's going to be another 3-4 months before it hits 95k miles.
I think I'll check the dipstick this weekend to see the oil's condition and If it is not too dark, I may defer it.

I was looking at my car's service history on the Lexus website and it only listed every 5k mile interval services that were done on it all the way from the beginning. Would these service have covered everything that is needed as part of regular maintenance, or is there anything extra that I should get done at this point. For example, would the differential or transfer case fluid, or power steering fluid been changed already?
Your Lexus dealer should be able to provide a printout of what services were completed at each interval so you can know for sure.
Old 05-14-12, 09:03 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cdew002
Your Lexus dealer should be able to provide a printout of what services were completed at each interval so you can know for sure.
Provided that the truck was serviced by a Lexus dealer...
Old 05-15-12, 03:31 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Also check how the behavious of the stick shift is.
Old 05-15-12, 04:02 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by snhrph
Provided that the truck was serviced by a Lexus dealer...
Yes, always.
Old 05-15-12, 04:09 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mann777
Also check how the behavious of the stick shift is.
Do you mean the high/low gear which has H, N, & L setting? What should I look for?

I have noticed during driving that this stick vibrates a lot. It is not visible, but I can feel it when I touch it. Is that normal? However the rest of the car is very smooth at all times.
Old 05-15-12, 06:24 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Matsui
Do you mean the high/low gear which has H, N, & L setting? What should I look for?

I have noticed during driving that this stick vibrates a lot. It is not visible, but I can feel it when I touch it. Is that normal? However the rest of the car is very smooth at all times.
Vibration is ok when your holding it - you don't want it to have any play or looseness.
Old 05-15-12, 10:18 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry Guys, I mean't the Gear Shift, if in case you find the stick shift not smooth but hard while shifting from P to D, And have a Dip stick check done to see the discoloration. Then it wud be signal to having the oil change done.
Old 05-16-12, 08:49 AM
Makakio
Rookie

I go 5k on dino oil and 7500 on synthetic. Any tech will tell you that 5k is right on the money for dino under normal use and 7500 doesn't hurt it but is about as much as you (very safely) want to do, and that 7500 is considered a harsh-use number for synth, 10k is normal and 12.5k is likewise about as far as you want to go before changing.

I think changing out synth at 5k (Lexus recc and I'm under CPO warranty for next 3 years or 55k miles) is a freaking SCAM. And they know it. But if you want the warranty you gotta go by their rules...
Old 05-16-12, 08:52 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

oh yea, did op mentioned it was synth or dino? couldn't remember but yeah makakio has sound advice... i would def consider synth vs dino situation as well

Quick Reply: Recommendation on maintenance service interval