GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 06:03 PM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear shocks

There’s a leak in my rear bags somewhere and the car sinks a little overnight. It’s a minor inconvenience, the air compressor fills it whenever I start the car and occasionally when I’m driving. It doesn’t stay in “hi” for long because of the leak either.

I don’t plan on doing any off-roading, I may take the truck on some road trips here and there, my priority is comfort and having something that will last. I hear people recommend bilstein, but I have no clue where to start looking and what else I should replace while I’m swapping the shocks out.

Should I replace all 4 or just the tears? Any links and cost estimates would be nice.

Or or if it’s better just to replace the bags, I’m open to that too.
Old 06-13-19, 06:16 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Here’s were you’d get the shocks and struts you mentioned. You’d also need a rear coil spring conversion kit.

Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Kit for Toyota 4Runner 4WD 2003-09 - Includes Front Ride Height Adjustable Shocks # 24-239370 & Rear Shocks # 33-187174 ***Excludes adjustable (X-REAS) suspension***
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-13-19, 06:19 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

These will raise the car a bit if I’m not mistaken... but you’ll need the front lifted a bit to level out the vehicle after the coil spring conversion.

On that... Dorman offers an affordable setup.. but I believe Arnott is the brand people like.
Old 06-13-19, 07:13 PM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrJason
These will raise the car a bit if I’m not mistaken... but you’ll need the front lifted a bit to level out the vehicle after the coil spring conversion.

On that... Dorman offers an affordable setup.. but I believe Arnott is the brand people like.
Awesome. Thank you!

Do dorman and arnott compare to bilstein? Also, how do raise the front?
Old 06-13-19, 07:25 PM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrJason
You’d also need a rear coil spring conversion kit.
Where do I get the rear coil spring conversion kit?
Old 06-13-19, 07:26 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

The bags leaking is seperate from the shocks needing replacement, just to be clear. But if you're worried about reliability, my recommendation would be to convert the airbags to coils in the rear. If you normally ride light (no extra weight in the back, 3rd row seats removed) I'd say go with the 4th gen 4Runner rear springs. If you normally carry the 3rd row seats and/or extra weight/passengers, go with the FJ Cruiser rear springs. This will get you just a bit taller than stock empty, and a bit less than stock fully loaded.

If you're going to replace the shocks as well while you're in there, I've been very happy with my Dobinsons twin tube comfort valved rear shocks, highly recommend them, much, much better than stock.

I have a set of FJ Cruiser rear springs I'd sell if you decided to go that route.
Old 06-13-19, 07:36 PM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
The bags leaking is seperate from the shocks needing replacement, just to be clear. But if you're worried about reliability, my recommendation would be to convert the airbags to coils in the rear. If you normally ride light (no extra weight in the back, 3rd row seats removed) I'd say go with the 4th gen 4Runner rear springs. If you normally carry the 3rd row seats and/or extra weight/passengers, go with the FJ Cruiser rear springs. This will get you just a bit taller than stock empty, and a bit less than stock fully loaded.

If you're going to replace the shocks as well while you're in there, I've been very happy with my Dobinsons twin tube comfort valved rear shocks, highly recommend them, much, much better than stock.

I have a set of FJ Cruiser rear springs I'd sell if you decided to go that route.
To keep it stock, would I have to replace the bags and the shocks? I don’t think I have a full understanding on the suspension setup. The rear have bags and shocks that need to be replaced?

Where are you located?
Old 06-13-19, 07:58 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mogaliciou
To keep it stock, would I have to replace the bags and the shocks? I don’t think I have a full understanding on the suspension setup. The rear have bags and shocks that need to be replaced?

Where are you located?
I think you just need new bags unless the shocks are leaking oil.
Old 06-13-19, 08:09 PM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RockfordRX
I think you just need new bags unless the shocks are leaking oil.
there's a leak coming from both actually. so i'll have to replace the bags and the shocks. where can i get those?
Old 06-14-19, 05:25 AM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I ordered Bilstein 5100's and aftermarket airbags on Ebay. Paid $357 for Bilsteins and $65 airbags shipped The rear shocks and airbags are easy to replace. Read a some write-ups and make a air line release tool out of a caulking tip. It was no more than a hr job.
Old 06-14-19, 05:34 AM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bufferdan
I ordered Bilstein 5100's and aftermarket airbags on Ebay. Paid $357 for Bilsteins and $65 airbags shipped The rear shocks and airbags are easy to replace. Read a some write-ups and make a air line release tool out of a caulking tip. It was no more than a hr job.
Myra I was watching some videos, seems easy enough. Do you have a link for the airbags you got?

And how how did you adjust the difference in ride height between the front and rear?
Old 06-14-19, 06:31 AM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I ran the front shocks on the 3rd notch from top which is about 2" lift. I put spacers on the brackets on the rear sensors to trick the airbags to inflate a little higher to even out. The aftermarket bags seem solid and for $65 .. Easy enough to swap out and if they last a few years ill be happy. If you wanna spend $300 you can get OEM bags on ebay also and get another 15yrs out of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Suspens...0AAOSwZKBZJPHi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bilstein-B8...wAAOSwPeVb~eCU
Old 06-14-19, 08:45 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by mogaliciou

Where are you located?
Replacing the rear airbags isn't that bad to do anymore, parts prices have come WAY down over the last few years. OEM rear shocks are still wildly expensive though. On these trucks, the airbag takes the place of the spring in a traditional setup, the shocks are electronically adjustable units which makes them very expensive to replace.

I'm in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. Shipping will be a factor in whether it makes sense to get rear springs from me, or source closer to home.