GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Time for new OEM suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 06:39 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lexus replaced his ride height sensors too so why would they need to adjust them?
Old 04-16-12, 07:41 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Lexus replaced his ride height sensors too so why would they need to adjust them?
A healthy ride height sensor doesn't equal the correct ride height. It's a healthy sensor, coupled with the right "arm length adjustment" on the sensor arm, that'll get you the right ride height.

I had mine come back from the dealer saying it was "in spec", when it was adjusted for highest height possible, and rode like there was zero compliance in the rear suspension. it took me getting under the truck for a few rounds of fiddling with it before I hit a good compromise of comfort and yet not low enough to be contacting the bump stops in regular driving.

Oh, and after you're all done, it's probably wise to verify you're happy with the way your lights are aimed, height-wise. I had to raise my beams a bit because the rear of the truck was a bit higher.
Old 04-16-12, 08:13 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I know it doesnt but Id think if they replaced the sensors theyd be smart enough to measure and see that its within specs. Guess I gave the Lexus techs too much credit.
Old 04-16-12, 08:53 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess I gave the Lexus techs too much credit.
Way, way too much credit! And remember, techs aren't equal between dealerships.

Last edited by redrocks; 04-16-12 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-16-12, 09:18 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thats pretty sad then....

N305AS, print out the specs below and take it to them. Seeing as it came from their shop manual they should have checked the specs anyway when they replaced them.

Old 04-17-12, 09:21 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yo RC,

for your XD wheels, make sure you try to get these longer lugs on the right as you have more thread coverage and better seating. my shop recently swapped them out for me once they got them back in stock. both are made by "gorilla" as stamped on each lug.

Old 04-23-12, 10:17 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Hey ROK, you wouldnt happen to have the part number would you?

If not, are these it:
E-T black chrome
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/small-diameter-lug-nuts

Did you use any wheel locks? I can only find chrome on gorillas site, not black?
Old 04-24-12, 09:20 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Hey ROK, you wouldnt happen to have the part number would you?

If not, are these it:
E-T black chrome
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/small-diameter-lug-nuts

Did you use any wheel locks? I can only find chrome on gorillas site, not black?
call up these guys and ask for PJ or Rusty. tell them you want the same extended lug nuts as the blacked out gx with the toyo MTs and they'll know which ones. i saw a bunch in a bucket that they had ordered when they swapped my set out. gl!

Les Schwab Tire Center
www.lesschwab.com
4 Google reviews
12828 Bel Red Road
Bellevue
(425) 455-0407
Old 04-24-12, 05:23 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thanks ROK.

Well I ended up buying some different wheels and the manufacturer said I could use acorn style lugs, so that made them alot easier to find. I ordered a set of Gorilla black lugs and locks.

The wheels are 18" and only weight 22lb a piece, I bet the stock 17" are heavier than that. I know I'll be the first one with them so I'll definitely stand out from other local GXs now. For tires I decided to go with Nitto terras (285/60/18) since there are no 32" MT tires in a 18". I though about maybe going with some Duratracs, they were close to a 32" but alot of people complained about the sidewalls being soft even with a E load.

And to finish it off, I also bought the clear sport tail lights from Sewell today...the ambers clashed with the wheels so I had no choice. The wheels should be here by Friday so I'll post some pictures up this weekend.
Old 04-24-12, 09:00 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Thanks ROK.

Well I ended up buying some different wheels and the manufacturer said I could use acorn style lugs, so that made them alot easier to find. I ordered a set of Gorilla black lugs and locks.

The wheels are 18" and only weight 22lb a piece, I bet the stock 17" are heavier than that. I know I'll be the first one with them so I'll definitely stand out from other local GXs now. For tires I decided to go with Nitto terras (285/60/18) since there are no 32" MT tires in a 18". I though about maybe going with some Duratracs, they were close to a 32" but alot of people complained about the sidewalls being soft even with a E load.

And to finish it off, I also bought the clear sport tail lights from Sewell today...the ambers clashed with the wheels so I had no choice. The wheels should be here by Friday so I'll post some pictures up this weekend.
make sure you verify that your wheels are load rated for SUVs/Trucks. that sounds like very little metal to carry a fairly heavy rig especially if the wheels are not made of forged 6061-t6 aluminum. weight/strength are key measures. i trust the kmc brand since they've sold a ton of their XD series on rigs much bigger than the GX.
Old 04-24-12, 09:49 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks RC; next time I'm in for scheduled maintenance I'll have the guys at Scottsdale Lexus give this a look-see. As I said in another thread, while I love my GX470 I do know that eventually - probably 4-6 years from now - I'll need to replace her with a GX460. When that time comes, I'm positively THRILLED to know that the air suspension on the GX460 is not standard, but rather an extra option.

An option I'll pass on, thankyaverymuch!
Old 04-24-12, 09:55 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ROK
make sure you verify that your wheels are load rated for SUVs/Trucks. that sounds like very little metal to carry a fairly heavy rig especially if the wheels are not made of forged 6061-t6 aluminum. weight/strength are key measures. i trust the kmc brand since they've sold a ton of their XD series on rigs much bigger than the GX.
Theyre pressure cast wheels, same as XD wheels. Theres several 2nd gen Tundras running them as well as 1st gen Tundras, 4Runners, Tacos, FJs and Sequoias....and soon to be GX.

http://www.fnwheels.com/?page_id=97

Originally Posted by N305AS
Thanks RC; next time I'm in for scheduled maintenance I'll have the guys at Scottsdale Lexus give this a look-see. As I said in another thread, while I love my GX470 I do know that eventually - probably 4-6 years from now - I'll need to replace her with a GX460. When that time comes, I'm positively THRILLED to know that the air suspension on the GX460 is not standard, but rather an extra option.

An option I'll pass on, thankyaverymuch!
Hey it could be worse. Thank GOD its not as bad as a Range Rover. My friend had one and that thing was constantly having trouble with its air suspension. I use to live up north and we were driving back from Maryland to Virginia and the rear air suspension crapped out and we were riding on the bump stops for about 30mins on the beltway. I couldnt count how many times my head hit the roof.

Ive started putting my GX in the "high" position before turning it off and my ride has improved alot!!
Old 04-25-12, 10:32 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

I loved my 510hp Rover. If you guys ever drive one, you'll fall in love as well. It's that ideal combination of GT coupe luxury/power/presence with truck-like practicality. Just make sure it's a 2010+. The older ones are junky inside and out now.

Good luck with the new wheels/tires. It looks like a pretty conservative setup that should improve upon the stock aesthetic.
Old 04-27-12, 01:11 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

ROK I dont know how you're not rubbing with your toyos that are 32". I just had DT put on nitto terra 285/60/18 (31.5") and the guy just called me and said the fronts rub like crazy!!?? I'm heading down there now to see how bad they rub.

I haven't looked but hopefully I can take off the mud flaps......

I've read
Old 04-27-12, 01:20 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

ROK I dont know how you're not rubbing with your toyos that are 32". I just had DT put on nitto terra 285/60/18 (31.5") and the guy just called me and said the fronts rub like crazy!!?? I'm heading down there now to see how bad they rub.

I haven't looked but hopefully I can take off the mud flaps......

I've read
never said it didn't rub. i clearly stated i had to trim. when i ran the toyo open country ATs (same sizing specs as you with my previous aftermarket wheels 18x8 and 18x9s), i had ZERO rubbing.

youre going to have to likely cut into the running boards. there are no mud flaps up front - at least on my truck.

Last edited by ROK; 04-27-12 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Time for new OEM suspension parts