GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wheel Weights on Factory Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 06:50 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wheel Weights on Factory Wheels

Bought four new Michelin LTX sw tires today at Discount. No impressions of the tires really as I only put 7 miles on them in Seattle traffic coming home. Later on tonight walking by the car I glanced at the tires and was stopped in my stride when my eye caught the ugly wheel weights that have been put on my car. Yeeech!. I don’t think they could have come up with a worse looking combo if the tried. Not only are the weights ugly but two weights that look like something grandpa cobbled up in his garage in 53’. (Please designers in Italy, make wheel weights.)

Now I know this is minor. Has anyone have any better solutions. My Audi has glue on weights inside the rim. It creates a nice rim edge. Anybody have that system on thier rims. On your factory rims how have they placed the weights on the rim.? I am ok with taking the car somewhere else and having them balance and do something aesthetic. I just need to know what type of systems people have on their cars.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Weights on Factory Wheels-p3231191-medium-.jpg  
Old 03-23-12, 09:52 PM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The adhesive-backed wheel weights are the only other option I know of. They definitely look nicer than the clamp-on weights, but you will now see a mark from where the old ones were removed.
Old 03-23-12, 10:20 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Discount Tire place I go to has the stick on weights that go on the inside and will use them if asked - would be worth going back and asking them to take care of it., especially if you got lifetime rotation and balance with your new tires and want to keep going there.. If there are marks now where the present weights get removed, you could get some touch up paint to make it look better and hopefully prevent any bubbling or flaking from getting started.
Old 03-24-12, 10:38 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Problem Fixed

Back out to Discount Tire this morning at opening. They rebalanced and moved the weights to stick-on on the inside of the wheel. No questions, no fuss and I am happy now.
Thanks to all of you for the responses on what to do.
PS. I was quite impressed with the service I got at Discount. While I waited I read their corporate history as they had a copy of the book The Legend of Discount Tire. It was an interesting to see the history of the company and the influence of the Halle family. The service and learning more about the company makes me want to continue with Discount as my tire company of choice.