GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suspension refresh kit (OEM parts only)

Old 03-19-12, 02:15 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Suspension refresh kit (OEM parts only)

So I'm looking thru the Sewell parts catalog to figure out what one would need to refresh the suspension components to maintain factory new ride quality for the next umpteen miles.

If we were to create an OEM suspension refresh kit, what parts do we need to cobble up together to replace aging factory parts?

I see that the rear shocks at Sewell's prices come in a little shy of $500 each. The fronts are cheaper at less than $200 IIRC. I'm curious to know what bushings, bolts, and sundry components one should replace while doing this job to maintain the excellent factory ride quality and reliability.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-12, 06:19 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles do you have? Why replace something that's not broken? Parts could last you another xx,xxx miles?
Old 03-19-12, 06:29 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Just asking the question man in a Lexus GX forum. Thanks.
Old 03-19-12, 06:59 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Then, why not replace the entire parts list for the suspension. You'll have a brand new suspension.
Old 03-19-12, 08:18 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redrocks
Then, why not replace the entire parts list for the suspension. You'll have a brand new suspension.
So if your hairline is receding, do you go ahead and tell the doc to replace your scalp as well?

In all seriousness, I think it'd be helpful to know what rubbery bits like bushings and the like should be swapped out while the shock absorbers get replaced with new.
Old 03-20-12, 03:44 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember looking at an exploded view of the rear suspension, on a ride height thread. There were upper and lower control arm bushings. When every one was getting the clunk fix tsb, those were being replaced at that time. When I had the clunk fix done, the factory is only authorizing the driveshaft only, last year. I have a Sewel account, but haven't learned out to get to those exploded view drawings yet. Here is one I found that redrocks posted. Hopefully someone that has had their GX for a long time, can answer you exact question and why you started the thread.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension refresh kit (OEM parts only)-rear-20shocks.jpg  

Last edited by Ancient; 03-20-12 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-20-12, 05:02 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ancient
I remember looking at an exploded view of the rear suspension, on a ride height thread. There were upper and lower control arm bushings. When every one was getting the clunk fix tsb, those were being replaced at that time. When I had the clunk fix done, the factory is only authorizing the driveshaft only, last year. I have a Sewel account, but haven't learned out to get to those exploded view drawings yet. Here is one I found that redrocks posted. Hopefully someone that has had their GX for a long time, can answer you exact question and why you started the thread.

Here's the parts list (attached).

As they say, "A fool and his money are soon parted."
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Shock Absorber Parts list.docx (772.7 KB, 415 views)
Old 03-20-12, 08:54 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ancient
Thanks, Ancient. You are a class act.

As the miles wear on closer to six figs, it's definitely a good idea to consider replacing the shocks at a minimum which look to be the costliest unit so while up in there, get at anything else that may degrade over time. The Lexus ride is so nice!
Old 03-20-12, 08:57 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redrocks
Here's the parts list (attached).

As they say, "A fool and his money are soon parted."
Yes, and I'm learning that driving a Toyota/Lexus isn't exactly that much cheaper than rolling in a Range Rover. I'm beginning to think y'all got hoodwinked, bamboozled by Lexus marketing. Maybe the Yukon/Tahoes are better values and more reliable rigs.

Nah!
Old 03-20-12, 10:15 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus is still pursuing perfection (maybe overrated), but better than some of the other alternatives.
Old 03-20-12, 02:53 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Yes, and I'm learning that driving a Toyota/Lexus isn't exactly that much cheaper than rolling in a Range Rover. I'm beginning to think y'all got hoodwinked, bamboozled by Lexus marketing. Maybe the Yukon/Tahoes are better values and more reliable rigs.

Nah!

hahaha sorry couldnt help myself. I guess youve never owned a Tahoe before, I have and I can tell you theyre not reliable at all, NO GM is reliable!!

No suspension components will last the life of the car, its normal maintenance. If you had 40K miles then Id be a little pissed about replacing parts but if youre close to 100K (you never did let us know how many miles you have) then its to be expected. How many miles do you have?

EDIT: I just saw you said youre getting closer to six digits...then thats to be expected youll need to start replacing parts on the suspension.
Old 03-20-12, 06:41 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

I watch for the front end bob or hover. That is when you go over a slight bump, the front end, bobs up and then down, and continues. Or when you step on the brake and let off.

When you push down on the front bumper hard and let go, the car should come up once and down slightly and stop. The bob is worn out struts. Also cupping of the tires, because the shocks don't keep the tires in contact with the ground. I only have 60,000 miles, no bob yet, tire wear great. Mileage isn't the only key, it is years as well. Even though the parts are well made, not sure if they will go 100k. It would be rare for both front and rear to wear out at the same time. I plan to replace parts as necessary. You may have gotten this truck at a great price, because it has years or miles, but it really is a luxury vehicle. These were 50k new or more. Parts are going to be pricey. Status, no one seems to mention that word on this forum. So I said it. i love driving the GX, because they didn't make that many. They are never going to put the effort forward, to make major changes, they sell a zillion RX's. Seems they even have a newer RX model now. I love this truck. I have had over 40 vehicles. The GX, really holds it's value.
Old 03-20-12, 08:22 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Mine's at 85K miles, 07.

No bob to speak of yet, but just wanted to have a list handy in hopes that an expert would chime and in show us a smart way of going about it. I don't want to have to replace any parts that aren't really necessary, but I'm almost certain there's more to it than just swapping out the shocks.

When I had my 4R, I simply lifted it with one of the myriad of adjustable coilover options available in the aftermarket (e.g. Toytec). It cost me $1300. Bargain. In the GX, it's more complex and I do enjoy the softer, more plush GX ride so want to maintain complete OEM functionality.

I love the GX just like you Ancient. It's a remarkable SUV. I truly believe Toyota makes the best trucks in the market. The only SUV I consider an upgrade for the GX is the Land Cruiser or LX.

Thanks, all!
Old 03-21-12, 03:43 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

That is my dream as well, landcruiser or LX. However, a low mileage GX with KDSS, is a close second. Found the control arm bushings, in another post.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Control...20106326623262

Last edited by Ancient; 03-21-12 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-24-12, 10:01 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Mine's at 85K miles, 07.

No bob to speak of yet, but just wanted to have a list handy in hopes that an expert would chime and in show us a smart way of going about it. I don't want to have to replace any parts that aren't really necessary, but I'm almost certain there's more to it than just swapping out the shocks.

When I had my 4R, I simply lifted it with one of the myriad of adjustable coilover options available in the aftermarket (e.g. Toytec). It cost me $1300. Bargain. In the GX, it's more complex and I do enjoy the softer, more plush GX ride so want to maintain complete OEM functionality.

I love the GX just like you Ancient. It's a remarkable SUV. I truly believe Toyota makes the best trucks in the market. The only SUV I consider an upgrade for the GX is the Land Cruiser or LX.

Thanks, all!
I'm at 65k w/mine. I'm sure I'm going to jinx myself, but the thing has been perfect thus far. I had a sticky ignition key, but on the advice of someone on this forum, I hit it with some graphite spray and fixed it.

I had one of my rear shocks replaced under warranty, so I replace the other side myself about 5k ago. Expensive, but easy DIY. The result of new rear shocks was a smoother rear ride because they now keep me off of the bump stops more effectively.

I'll pull the trigger on new front struts before too long. I can now tell that the fronts are a little soft (compared to the rear), and there's a harshness to the front-end that wasn't there when new. I'm hoping shocks will take care of it, but I'll ask the shop to take a look at all the rubber bushings while they're down there.

I'm lucky to have the KDSS, and overall still believe the ride/handling is pretty impressive for a truck-based SUV. I've so far been blown away by the reliability. I thought I had a front turn-signal bulb blow out, but it fixed itself. My back-light for the passenger seat heater switch stopped working for about a year, and fixed itself. I've never had a car that fixed itself before

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension refresh kit (OEM parts only)