GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID retro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 07:09 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default HID retro?

• HID Projectors: Lexus SC430; color modded; white painted cutoff shields
  • HID Projector Lenses: Honda S2000 (S2K / AP1) clear lenses
  • HID Ballasts: Potted (waterproof) Lexus slim Denso ballasts
  • HID Bulbs: Philips 85122 D2S
  • Fog Lights: Lexus yellow glass capsules
  • Power Supply: 30amp relay harness custom made by me

They look completely stock until you look at the back of the headlights and see a D2S bulb holder.

Color mod flicker
- White, Aqua, Purple, Blue

Even bunnies like the color

Last edited by RCsGX; 11-09-13 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Pics added....
Old 03-18-12, 11:06 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No ones done it as it is not worth the trouble o mess with stock lights 4the incremental gains for running Honda lenses. Having put on 60k on an s2000, the xenon depot with 4300k Philips Bulbs in the gx does it justice.

Don't junk up your nice gx by chopping it up.
Old 03-18-12, 11:45 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Maybe for you its not worth the trouble but for me its no trouble at all, I like tinkering with my cars making it my own. Ive seen output shots of kits in the GX and while it works, its nothing like having a true HID projector.

Heres a shot of my E39 w/ SC430s projectors and S2K lenses, I wouldnt call that incremental gains.

And how exactly would I be junking up my GX...you wouldnt be able to tell any difference if looking at it, the headlight will look completely stock. I think most people dont do it because its easier to stick a $50 kit in their GX and call it a day. Different strokes.....
Old 03-19-12, 10:22 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you can roast hot dogs in the heat and light for that modification. Keep us posted and take some pictures, you are breaking new ground. They don't make a lot of GX's. That's good for me, don't want what everybody else has. However, the factory is not going to spend a lot of time on re engineering, only selling a few trucks.

Lighting is key to safety at night. Lexus says that the location height of the lights, may cause problems for other drivers if they were HID. Bunk, if adjusted properly, no worse than any other on coming headlights. The next generation GX's should have had HID's, and lights that turned slightly with the steering wheel.

I believe the Cord, had headlights that turned in 1936. They just don't sell enough GX's to listen to any complaints or suggestions. If so, the GX's would have the Tundra calipers and breaks, or something similar.
Old 03-19-12, 11:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Ancient
Looks like you can roast hot dogs in the heat and light for that modification. Keep us posted and take some pictures, you are breaking new ground. They don't make a lot of GX's. That's good for me, don't want what everybody else has. However, the factory is not going to spend a lot of time on re engineering, only selling a few trucks.

Lighting is key to safety at night. Lexus says that the location height of the lights, may cause problems for other drivers if they were HID. Bunk, if adjusted properly, no worse than any other on coming headlights. The next generation GX's should have had HID's, and lights that turned slightly with the steering wheel.

I believe the Cord, had headlights that turned in 1936. They just don't sell enough GX's to listen to any complaints or suggestions. If so, the GX's would have the Tundra calipers and breaks, or something similar.
the 2010+ gx already has hid from factory.

yes, the height reason what was lexus said, but i kind of think it's bs because you see x5, q7, gl, etc... with hid and they are just fine.

not to mention if you look at the lx570, before 2013 models, US spec cars never had hid, but in other regions, hid are widely available from factory. and guess what, 2013 lx570, hid is now available (and it's the same car)
Old 03-19-12, 11:52 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info and correcting part of my post.
Old 03-19-12, 12:21 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Maybe for you its not worth the trouble but for me its no trouble at all, I like tinkering with my cars making it my own. Ive seen output shots of kits in the GX and while it works, its nothing like having a true HID projector.

Heres a shot of my E39 w/ SC430s projectors and S2K lenses, I wouldnt call that incremental gains.

And how exactly would I be junking up my GX...you wouldnt be able to tell any difference if looking at it, the headlight will look completely stock. I think most people dont do it because its easier to stick a $50 kit in their GX and call it a day. Different strokes.....
I respect the fact that you like to tinker, but it doesn't look any different than my GX setup, and again, I've owned cars with factory HIDs and my weekend driver has them as well. Seems like you have an automotive lighting fetish. That's cool I guess.

And the XenonDepot kit that several of us have is far from $50 Ebay quality. It comes with plug and play wiring along with the 4300K Philips bulbs. Bingo.

I'm curious to see how you bust out the headlights to retrofit the non-diffused lenses. That's a lot of work for little gain?
Old 03-21-12, 09:30 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ROK
I respect the fact that you like to tinker, but it doesn't look any different than my GX setup,
Oh sure it doesnt, im sure the kit in your GX doesnt look any different than my pic above. Just a FYI Im over 100ft away from the wall, not 10-20ft like most pictures Ive seen of ktis in a GX. Feel free to take a picture of your kit and post it up.

Like you, Ive had cars equipped form the factory with HIDs and Ive had cars that have had halogen projectors, and Ive used a kit before so I know the difference and theres a huge difference between the two.

Originally Posted by ROK
And the XenonDepot kit that several of us have is far from $50 Ebay quality. It comes with plug and play wiring along with the 4300K Philips bulbs. Bingo.
No matter what bulbs they use, the fact is, its still a kit and its going into a halogen projector which isnt meant for HID bulbs. If that was the case every car manufacture would use halogen projectors and just stick a kit in it.

Originally Posted by ROK
I'm curious to see how you bust out the headlights to retrofit the non-diffused lenses. That's a lot of work for little gain?
"Bust out the headlights for a non-diffused lenses", but out the headlights, what does that even mean? Non-diffused lenses...please explain. I think youre in over your head.

Im not hear to make you do a retro, you can do whatever you want. You like kits, cool, I dont. If I do something, Im going to do it right, not take the easiest and cheapest route.
Old 03-21-12, 09:52 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

I think you have a fetish and it shows. No offense.

Curious to see you post up pics and description about your project and what exactly this gets you.
Old 03-21-12, 10:08 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do it RCsGX ! ignore the nay-sayer, Ive been wanting & thinking to retro my GX too, i live around trees/jungle area, output @ night is really important to me. The output of HID kit is a joke IMO, yeah its bright from outside, yes its bright if u just drive down the street, try drive around trees/wavy road/jungle look area/

post some pics and steps how u mount them to the headlight.
Old 03-21-12, 10:24 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by masboy
Do it RCsGX ! ignore the nay-sayer, Ive been wanting & thinking to retro my GX too, i live around trees/jungle area, output @ night is really important to me. The output of HID kit is a joke IMO, yeah its bright from outside, yes its bright if u just drive down the street, try drive around trees/wavy road/jungle look area/

post some pics and steps how u mount them to the headlight.
+1 Go for it, RCsGX! Most people opt for the simplest route because it's an easy DIY.

Your truck, your way! Just like BK! LOL!
Old 03-21-12, 10:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

same here RCsGX, go for it. i know a bit or two about lighting and hid projectors. hid kits are cheap alternative, but it gets nothing against real hid projector retro setup. performance is far better with no potential glare and other side effect that hid kits have
Old 03-21-12, 11:19 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

YEA GO FOR IT DUDE cuz who knows how the heck the tens of thousands of stock GXers are dealing with driving at night - either they have superman vision or you guys are blind. lol
Old 03-21-12, 11:35 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I can say the same for you. I see plenty of GXs in my area with halogen bulbs, Im sure they can see just fine too at night. So tell us ROK, why did YOU get HIDs if its not to see better? I assume you got it to see better, but maybe you got it because it has pretty white lights.

My point is if you can see better with a HID kit in your halogen projector as opposed to halogen bulbs why not go one step further and see even better with HID projectors that are actually meant to take D2S bulbs.
Old 03-21-12, 12:36 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ROK r u saying im blind here? Try drive around high trees area where coyotes / deer sometimes just cross the street at night. Having a proper retro/projector headlight will obviously help me in that situation.

Search 2gs section, tons of people did ls430 retro in their headlight, the light output is night and day compare to HID headlight.

Quick Reply: HID retro?