GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID retro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 12:50 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no i hear ya on the hid being better setup for sure but i was just curious of the oem headlamps are underpaowered compared to other cars cuz it seems like my jeep is brighter than the gx470 comparing halogen to halogen... much much brighter
Old 04-15-12, 02:51 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are youre headlight lenses faded from sun damage? If so thats your problem, if not I dont know what to tell you. My headlights are decent in the rain at night. Maybe youre use to your Jeeps scatter light in the reflector as opposed to a more concentrated beam from the projector.
Old 04-15-12, 03:06 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The halogens are certainly weaker than HIDs but should be closer to underwhelming not dangerous on the spectrum. You should check the alignment of your lights... Lexus' are notoriously aimed nanny state low... along the lines of the ridiculous "I Agree" for Nav. I've had a trifecta of low headlight alignment on my GX, GS and RX. I understand a "lower than normal" aim on HIDs but on halogens? Please...
Old 04-27-12, 12:51 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Soooo... Any updates?
Old 04-27-12, 07:10 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Not yet. The parts were delivered to him last Thursday. He'll probably finish them up this coming week.
Old 04-27-12, 02:40 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

No matter what mod you do on the OEM halogen projectors, they will not be good enough, becoz the lens are just Fresnel lens or call them Frosted lens. The lens plays a important role in the output of the light. The focal length output of the light is shorter than the aperture, a bit spherical. And the light output is dull. i guess it is like a camera.. based on what type of lens you are using will determine whether u get good upclose/far pics.Once you replace the lens to a clear lens, there is dramatic change to the output. These can be modded even more when you add Single or Double washer. Here are the image prior to the change and once the change is done a clear lens and the one I used was TSX clear lens, which is leader is Light Output.
1. The First Image is GX Pre-Mod with OEM Fresnel Lens at 5 ft away
2. The Second Image is GX Premod with OEM Fresnel Lens at 25 Feet away. Note the Spherical way the lite output deviates.
3. The Third Image the Projectors removed.
4. Both the Lens ( the left is Fresnel and the Rite one is TSX Clear lens up close.
5. The Outputs after Retro done.

Bulb Used was Philips 85122 D2S type, I replaced the Projector (LS430) for the Xenon Bulb housing reasons.
Attached Thumbnails HID retro?-fresnel-output-at-10-feet.jpg   HID retro?-gx-pre-mod-with-a-xenon-depot-at-25-feet.jpg   HID retro?-4002-2.jpg   HID retro?-lens.jpg   HID retro?-crisp.jpg  

Old 04-27-12, 02:49 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
No matter what mod you do on the OEM halogen projectors, they will not be good enough, becoz the lens are just Fresnel lens or call them Frosted lens. .
they're good enough for me and my gx and my OEM projectors aren't even modded.

Cool to see how the DIY auto lighting fanatics are doing it.
Old 04-27-12, 03:06 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Test Output on a Single Projector using washers.
1. With No Washers
1. Single Washer
2. Double Washer
3. Three Washers
Attached Thumbnails HID retro?-85122-with-no-washers.jpg   HID retro?-85122-with-one-washer.jpg   HID retro?-85122-with-two-washers.jpg   HID retro?-85122-with-three-washers.jpg  
Old 04-27-12, 05:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
they're good enough for me...
i see.....
Old 04-27-12, 07:52 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mann777
Test Output on a Single Projector using washers.
1. With No Washers
1. Single Washer
2. Double Washer
3. Three Washers

Ol' Larry Wu pictures aka Mr. Pantera.
Old 05-10-12, 03:59 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Got the headlights today but wont have time to install them until this weekend. Nothing to really see since it looks completely stock from the front.

Old 05-11-12, 09:56 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

subscribed +

pinterest + lol
Old 11-08-13, 09:29 PM
ckkone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good... I'm planning on doing a clear lens swap and removing squirrel finder tab and covering the squirrel finder hole then painting the beam cutoff black. I'd like to do a projector retro fit but the safety and emission folks would fail me, I need to be able to swap in the H11 halogen to pass safety. I will try to get some pics up after I'm done.
Old 11-09-13, 06:42 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Pics added to my original post.

Originally Posted by ckkone
Looks good... I'm planning on doing a clear lens swap and removing squirrel finder tab and covering the squirrel finder hole then painting the beam cutoff black.
You should just throw a HID kit in there and call it a day.

I wouldn't mess w/ the squirrel finders if I were you. I've done it before on my MDX's H11 projectors and honestly there's no significant benefit. By covering them up you won't be able to see street signs very well. Even HID projectors have light bleed above the cutoff a little so drivers can see street signs at night. Painting the shields will help in reducing glare but again, it's so minimal it's not even worth the trouble.

I personally wouldn't mess w/ them but if you do make sure you get some extra sealant (butyl) for when you seal the headlights back up. It's not necessary but it's added insurance. The last thing you want is to remove your bumper and headlights a month down the road due to some condensation inside of them. You can use the 3M window stuff or the Nissan butyl. I've always used the Nissan butyl.

Originally Posted by ckkone
I'd like to do a projector retro fit but the safety and emission folks would fail me, I need to be able to swap in the H11 halogen to pass safety. I will try to get some pics up after I'm done.
Why would they fail you? I've never had an inspection shop physically check the bulbs? Do they do that in UT? All they've ever made me do it turn the low / high beams on to make sure they're working.

I live in Florida now and we don't have any inspection or emission testing so nothing is off limits here.
Old 11-10-13, 04:13 PM
ckkone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they check in UT, I always have to remove my aftermarket HID kit before inspection.

Quick Reply: HID retro?