GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Water intrusion through cargo floor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 11:38 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hold off on the fix - get your money back and tell them to poney up cash for water damage - call your credit card and send in photos with link to this site... either the dealer give back your cash or the credit card company do it for ya... do bbb if dealer is nasty to ya... then fix it yourself later

or fix it now and take some good photos with your vin name date sign to show it's you your car in the pic... gl

that's why i always tell the dealer that i am an automechanic and they always do a good job on my car... bar none!
Old 04-04-12, 07:39 AM
prwdmd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caha14
Not at all... The cable is guided along the weatherstrip starting at the top, but it does NOT break through the contact area between the weatherstrip and the metal. It only enters the vehicle at the lower entry point where the tail lamp is. Should be a huge difference. And yes, you are right, I noticed (particularly when I saw the slight indentations on your cable from the door closing on it) that this was not the only thing they missed (e.g., the cord rail and the position of the antenna, as you point out).
So then how is the cable supposed to stay attached to the outside of the weatherstrip? I'm still having a hard time figuring this out.. on page 12 the diagram says "Fit under the weatherstrip" pointing to the cable... I just want to be sure I know what I'm talking about when I bring the car to the dealer this weekend...
Old 04-04-12, 09:39 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by prwdmd
So then how is the cable supposed to stay attached to the outside of the weatherstrip? I'm still having a hard time figuring this out.. on page 12 the diagram says "Fit under the weatherstrip" pointing to the cable... I just want to be sure I know what I'm talking about when I bring the car to the dealer this weekend...
What they seem to be talking about is tucking the cable between the weatherstrip and the metal outside the GX, routing it all the way down to where the designated entry point is, an area that won't get poured on when it rains. Based on your pictures and your description, it appears that the wire was not merely tucked in at the top, but rather, routed directly into the vehicle at that spot, creating an opening that gives rain water a clear entry point and as direct a shot as there is. If this is how they did it, water will travel along the cable right into your GX, since it is a straight shot.

Does this make sense?