GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-17, 03:03 PM
Rendell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased my 2008 GX470 yesterday. I put it in neutral turn Height control to high, it seemed like it was really working to get there, then when in high. I put the truck in drive and started to take off and the height went to Normal. I read a bunch of these and didn't find much of info on this. The truck has 195K, I figured it's a Toyota.. I figure I'm in for a bundle cash to fix. So, my question is this: Would it be worth replacing? or would it be better to covert to a spring system? also, where is the best online place to buy parts? Mainly a Key/Fob. also, the screws for the engine bay covers?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-17, 03:16 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Rendell
I just purchased my 2008 GX470 yesterday. I put it in neutral turn Height control to high, it seemed like it was really working to get there, then when in high. I put the truck in drive and started to take off and the height went to Normal. I read a bunch of these and didn't find much of info on this. The truck has 195K, I figured it's a Toyota.. I figure I'm in for a bundle cash to fix. So, my question is this: Would it be worth replacing? or would it be better to covert to a spring system? also, where is the best online place to buy parts? Mainly a Key/Fob. also, the screws for the engine bay covers?
Thanks in advance.
Normal... only time you can keep in Low or High setting is around 20MPH and below. It then reverts to middle-Normal setting.
Old 09-23-17, 03:27 PM
Rendell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Normal... only time you can keep in Low or High setting is around 20MPH and below. It then reverts to middle-Normal setting.
What is the purpose of the Air Spring Suspension? My truck feels like it is bottoming out when it hits even what I would call a small bump. So I should tun it on and leave it in Normal, or just leave it of. and maybe an explanation of the purpose of the off button. Does it actually turn it off, and what does off on an air suspension look like,
Old 09-23-17, 03:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Remember... it is on the rear only and main purpose is load leveling for towing or when you are filled up with passengers and cargo.

It will always return to Normal and On over 20MPH. Off is for use when servicing vehicle. Do you still feel the bottoming out when suspension is set to SPORT mode?
Old 09-23-17, 09:04 PM
Rendell
Driver School Candidate

Remember... it is on the rear only and main purpose is load leveling for towing or when you are filled up with passengers and cargo.

It will always return to Normal and On over 20MPH. Off is for use when servicing vehicle. Do you still feel the bottoming out when suspension is set to SPORT mode?

Thank you.

I'll test sport mode tomorrow.
Old 09-24-17, 07:35 PM
Rendell
Driver School Candidate

Nope, it is not as bouncy, does not bottom out. I switched from the second comfort, to the first sport, and bam, drives great. I hope is is normal.
Old 09-24-17, 09:20 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I drive my 460 in Sport mode most of the time. I only put in the softer modes when off the pavement.
Old 09-24-17, 10:13 PM
Rendell
Driver School Candidate

I drive my 460 in Sport mode most of the time. I only put in the softer modes when off the pavement.
So, just to recap. If I'm hauling a trailer, I out it in comfort mode. leave the Height alone, and it will keep it level. Other wise sport and be happy. I do not intend to take this anymore off road then a base 2wd truck can go, and be very slow at that. If I need to go to the deer camp, I'll break out my trusty lifted, big tire 97 4runner.

Let me know if I misunderstood anything.. I appreciate your time,
Old 09-25-17, 06:30 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

So, just to recap. If I'm hauling a trailer, I out it in comfort mode. leave the Height alone, and it will keep it level. Other wise sport and be happy.
Correct :-)
Old 09-25-17, 06:36 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The other thing the rear air suspension is good for is putting it in "Low" to make it easier to hook up a trailer (you don't have to crank the trailer hitch so high). Get the hitch on the ball, hook up the chains and wiring, then put the height back into "Medium" and it'll raise up, making it easier to crank your hitch wheel back up.

Chip H.
Old 09-25-17, 07:41 AM
Rendell
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chiph9
The other thing the rear air suspension is good for is putting it in "Low" to make it easier to hook up a trailer (you don't have to crank the trailer hitch so high). Get the hitch on the ball, hook up the chains and wiring, then put the height back into "Medium" and it'll raise up, making it easier to crank your hitch wheel back up.

Chip H.

Roger that.
Old 09-25-17, 09:26 AM
helocat
Driver School Candidate

What is the purpose of the Air Spring Suspension? My truck feels like it is bottoming out when it hits even what I would call a small bump. So I should tun it on and leave it in Normal, or just leave it of. and maybe an explanation of the purpose of the off button. Does it actually turn it off, and what does off on an air suspension look like,
Metal-tech 4x4 has been makeing this kit for quite awhile now. They offer the bolt on conversion by itself (for doing lift kits) or you can get it as a full kit with stock replacement rear coil springs. Like in this link.

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/gx460-r...3-stock-height
Old 10-17-17, 06:29 AM
Rendell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by helocat
Metal-tech 4x4 has been makeing this kit for quite awhile now. They offer the bolt on conversion by itself (for doing lift kits) or you can get it as a full kit with stock replacement rear coil springs. Like in this link.

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/gx460-r...3-stock-height

Says page not found.. Maybe they quit because they thought they had them all covered.. lol...
Old 10-17-17, 03:25 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/metal-t...-stock-height/
Old 10-18-17, 07:05 AM
Rendell
Driver School Candidate

Roger that. Thanks Looks good. If the bags are bad or go bad.. I'll get a conversion. Anyone do the conversion, and can tall me how the ride, hauling, towing, handling or anything was effected buy the conversion?

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions