GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 05:02 AM
roofer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set that I have used for a few weeks, after I realized that my compressor was leaking I decided to switch to springs and coils. I can sell the sensors to whoever is interested, still got the original receipt from the dealer.
Old 10-21-13, 04:17 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roofer
I have a set that I have used for a few weeks, after I realized that my compressor was leaking I decided to switch to springs and coils. I can sell the sensors to whoever is interested, still got the original receipt from the dealer.
So, how is the ride now with the coils?
Old 10-22-13, 04:42 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I highly recommend coil spring conversion. Out the door was $200 for coils installed. How do you beat that and the best part is no future problems with bags, sensors or compressor.
Old 10-23-13, 03:27 AM
roofer
Driver School Candidate

It's not bad at all, I also installed bilstein shocks, no complains on ride quality, however I do believe that our GXs might loose some resale value with such suspension modifications at the end.
Old 10-23-13, 08:45 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

It's not bad at all, I also installed bilstein shocks, no complains on ride quality, however I do believe that our GXs might loose some resale value with such suspension modifications at the end.
If anyone really did their homework, they would realize that the truck should actually be worth more, however, you are bang on. It will only deduct from resale value.
Old 10-23-13, 09:38 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe yes, maybe no. You might loose money w/ an aftermarket suspension but unless you have a perfect working OEM suspension you will DEFINITELY loose money having a crappy / non-working OEM suspension. With the cost of older GXs in the low-teens who wants to dump thousands of dollars into an OEM suspension to only have it fail again?

With all of the suspension threads here and on other forums a lot of new buyers might not want to deal w/ the factory suspension. Finding a GX where the PO installed a nice aftermarket suspension could be a huge selling point over another GX that's priced the same but needs new OEM suspension parts $$$$.

Old 10-24-13, 04:51 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Maybe yes, maybe no. You might loose money w/ an aftermarket suspension but unless you have a perfect working OEM suspension you will DEFINITELY loose money having a crappy / non-working OEM suspension. With the cost of older GXs in the low-teens who wants to dump thousands of dollars into an OEM suspension to only have it fail again?

With all of the suspension threads here and on other forums a lot of new buyers might not want to deal w/ the factory suspension. Finding a GX where the PO installed a nice aftermarket suspension could be a huge selling point over another GX that's priced the same but needs new OEM suspension parts $$$$.

+1 If you're planning on keeping your GX for a long time, then it's better than spending lots of $$$$ for new OEM parts.
Old 11-04-13, 07:12 AM
romkab
Driver School Candidate

I browsed through the posts and noticed a lot of you are experts now on this air suspension problem on GX 470. My truck is behaving strangely. Couple of years ago the height control indicator "OFF" light was blinking and rear end was way up. I fixed it by changing the driver side height control sensor. Problem went away for a while. The passenger side sensor was intact, I checked it by taking it apart and in fact it still looks fine. Now two years later, the rear end was up one day, down the other, then fine for a month. I checked the sensor, nothing... Now the rear end is all the way down sitting on the bump guards. It does not respond to H or L signal from the height control switch. I do hear the clicking noise when I move the "H" or "L", but it does not sound like the compressor is running at all. Usually when you start the truck the compressor kicks in and it pumps it to N height. This time can't hear compressor. I am thinking is there a leak or is the compressor busted? Or is the signal not getting to the compressor? Swapping out parts will cost a pretty penny. Should I replace the compressor? How do I check for leaks? And do I stop at just replacing the compressor or go all the way to replacing rear shocks, which are super expensive. .Our family has a shop so labor is not an issue. Please help fellow drivers. I really don't want to put the Bilsteins in as an alternative. Thank you all.
Old 12-29-13, 08:52 PM
litig8or
Driver School Candidate

Default Maybe a Cheap and Quick Fix for Air Suspension Control and Pump Issues

A buddy of mine has one of these and had the air suspension issues. His kids were getting bounced in to the roof from the lack of inflation in the rear suspension. The air suspension lights would just flash but no height controls. He was quoted $1.5k to fix the suspension. Dealer wanted to change the pump and the driver height sensor. We went ahead and ordered the height sensor and changed it. We thought we would start with that before spending on a full $1k on parts; but after we changed the driver height sensor, there was a change in the lights, I think he could select high, normal or low, but nothing would happen and it would just flash after he made a selection. We wanted to make sure the solenoids worked in the air reservoir - (before we ordered the pump which is behind the driver wheel well, beneath and slightly in front of the gas fill tube). We pulled the air reservoir which had all the air lines going into it. That let all the remaining air out of the bags. The solenoids were fine. So we were left thinking we had an air pump issue - now with the air bags that were fully depleted.

We pulled the relay for the air suspension pump we checked it with a battery and it was good. But the relay was not engaging when the engine was started or the air suspension switch was moved inside the vehicle. By chance we just jumped the relay contacts for the air suspension pump and the air pump motor started to run. That air suspension pump motor relay is located (in a two relay socket mount) immediately to the engine side and outside of the main electronic control fuse relay/module compartment located behind the driver's side headlight under the hood. Have jumped the contacts in the relay socket (with the relay out) as if the relay had been engaged the air pump began to run. We let it run for a short bit so that the rear of the vehicle rose a couple of inches. We put the relay back in and the system worked fine after that. Apparently, if the system loses too much air then the air controls will not energize the air pump (or perhaps it takes a certain height in the height control sensors to allow the pump to run after some other error in the air suspension system). It seems that dealers will be more than happy to sell you a new air pump; when you may just need to jump the air pump contacts to get air in system so the sensors can read some requisite height or voltage to the air pump after and error.

I am not saying that the height sensors do not go bad, but if you have issues where the pump does not run you might want to pull the relay then jump the voltage feed to the pump motor to see if you can get a couple inches of lift and see if that will allow the controls to work as they should.

Good luck.

( GX470 air suspension issues problems bad air pump Toyota 4 runner won't lift Lexus suspension switch flashes )

Last edited by litig8or; 12-29-13 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-08-14, 02:26 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bumping this thread and linking IanB2s thread to in since there's a lot of info in here.
-Thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...rsion-kit.html

Originally Posted by IanB2
Came across this today, bolt on, can use stock FJ Cruiser/4Runner springs or aftermarket lift springs, and the price is very fair.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...ml#post9001445
Old 01-10-14, 04:46 PM
mikeab1
Driver School Candidate

My 2004 GX470 (140k miles) has stiff shocks, but only when it is cold. During the Polar Vortex, it rode like buckboard almost to the poit of not being driveable.
Now that it is warmed up, it's more or less normal. The ride is very slightly lower and the pump seems to be working.

Any ideas?
Old 01-10-14, 06:49 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeab1
My 2004 GX470 (140k miles) has stiff shocks, but only when it is cold. During the Polar Vortex, it rode like buckboard almost to the poit of not being driveable.
Now that it is warmed up, it's more or less normal. The ride is very slightly lower and the pump seems to be working.

Any ideas?
Same issues, same milage, just replaced height control reservoir. dealer can scan for codes that lead to faulty component.
Old 01-13-14, 10:46 AM
kelz
Driver School Candidate

Default height control

i have a 2004 gx470 and recently had my rear height control sensors replaced on both sides. ok so yes it is fixed drives great UNTIL i put the family in the car and that is only husband, myself, 3 kids or just me driving and i happen to put something in the back like a simple shelve and as soon as the weight isnt in it any longer its bummpy as u know what bounceing all over the place until a couple days it fixes itself. PLEASE HELP

kelly
Old 01-13-14, 11:15 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by kelz
i have a 2004 gx470 and recently had my rear height control sensors replaced on both sides. ok so yes it is fixed drives great UNTIL i put the family in the car and that is only husband, myself, 3 kids or just me driving and i happen to put something in the back like a simple shelve and as soon as the weight isnt in it any longer its bummpy as u know what bounceing all over the place until a couple days it fixes itself. PLEASE HELP

kelly
did lexus do the sensors, did they list the fault codes on the work order? or did they just assume it was the sensors? I thought for sure it was the sensors on mine, but their computer pointed them to the height control reservoir and solenoid. Its been two weeks and suspension issues gone so I assume they got it right...oh and they got my wallet too!
Old 01-20-14, 07:24 AM
Rgf49er
Driver School Candidate

I've owned my '04 GX since October 2003 now with 165k. I'm not experiencing any issues with air shockes but I also do not tow anything more than once a year. I do however load hit up with people and supplies in the back multiple times a year. I'm not having any issues with the air shocks. I check with my mechanic who use to work for Lexus to make sure I don't have any issues down the road. So far it's great with only the normal wear tear issues of brakes windshield wipers and light bulbs.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions