GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 10:45 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
Where did you get them replaced and how much did it cost you?
Lexus dealership replaced them under warranty. Sewell online sells them (I think about $350/each with CL discount).
Old 04-16-12, 04:46 PM
roofero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you to a topic started, and to those who shared a useful information. However, sensors and shocks replacement didnt solve my issue, I have ordered and replaced both high sensors and it didnt resolve the stiff ride, after that, I have ordered rear bilstein shocks and just finished the work, It didnt do anything ! The ride its just not the same, not even close to what I use to have before my sensors went bad ! Any thoughts on this ? I would greatly appreciate any help from the pros, over 2k expenses so far, new parts - yes, but the ride just wont improve for me !!! What else could go wrong ?!
Old 04-16-12, 06:23 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bilsteins usually will ride more harsh than stock shocks. Maybe try adjusting the sensors.....

Old 04-23-12, 04:35 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roofero
thank you to a topic started, and to those who shared a useful information. However, sensors and shocks replacement didnt solve my issue, I have ordered and replaced both high sensors and it didnt resolve the stiff ride, after that, I have ordered rear bilstein shocks and just finished the work, It didnt do anything ! The ride its just not the same, not even close to what I use to have before my sensors went bad ! Any thoughts on this ? I would greatly appreciate any help from the pros, over 2k expenses so far, new parts - yes, but the ride just wont improve for me !!! What else could go wrong ?!
Springs and call it a day.
Old 04-24-12, 09:47 PM
N305AS
Rookie

I'll say this - while I love my GX470, I know that in the next 4-6 years I'll probably have to replace her in the family fleet with a GX460, and I am THRILLED to know that the GX460 air suspension is merely an option and not standard.

You can bet your sweet bippy that I'll be going with the standard coil suspension next go 'round and not the air suspension!
Old 04-26-12, 10:49 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bippitydoo - i love you gx470
Old 04-26-12, 04:29 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N305AS
I'll say this - while I love my GX470, I know that in the next 4-6 years I'll probably have to replace her in the family fleet with a GX460, and I am THRILLED to know that the GX460 air suspension is merely an option and not standard.

You can bet your sweet bippy that I'll be going with the standard coil suspension next go 'round and not the air suspension!
Not to be overly simplistic, but I think it boils down to whether or not you frequently tow or haul heavy loads. If you do, the air suspension is a god send, and worth the maintenance nuisance. It's an advantage we have over the Land Cruiser, IMO. I happen to tow quite a bit, and the self-leveling rear is great.

if you don't (tow or haul), then I agree that plain old springs would be simpler and better.
Old 05-08-12, 04:09 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

so, which springs should i pair my 5100's with for no lift? stock height.
Old 06-05-12, 07:19 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roofero
Roofero,
you may have a problem tight dry rubber control arm bushings and/or stuck dry driveshaft problem. Can you hear any squeaking, creaking noise when you change the height?
Something is not easy to move in the suspension assembly and you may get stiff ride.
I used to have a noise while going over speed bumps or uneven surface when I bought my GX, found out rear lower control arm was rubbing against the mount clevis bracket in pivoting point.
Clevis bracket was bent inward (I believe from towing truck chain) and control arm could not swivel without drag.

I am in need of replacement height sensor on left side do to broken sensor bracket, sensor is very hard to move and I believe it flexed the bracket back and fort so many times that it cracket off.
I found it hanging down from the upper control arm and I need new or used one asap.
Would any one of you members have a used or new set of sensors for sale after conversion or suspension repair that you no longer need?
Thanks in advance, Bernard
Old 07-30-12, 12:06 PM
roofer
Driver School Candidate

I switched to springs and coil now, the ride quality is good but not as good as it was before, of course. Posted my almost brand new sensors on ebay in case someone is interested ) Good luck to you all !
Old 07-30-12, 12:16 PM
Rgf49er
Driver School Candidate

I have 152k and have not had this issue but thanks for sharing
Old 07-31-12, 05:58 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roofer
I switched to springs and coil now, the ride quality is good but not as good as it was before, of course. Posted my almost brand new sensors on ebay in case someone is interested ) Good luck to you all !
So which shocks and coils did you use?
Old 11-24-12, 09:29 PM
rwmagnus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redrocks
2OnyxLexus,

Sorry to hear the ride is still stiff. I had my rear height sensors replaced last week and I can tell the differences. The problem was definitely the sensors and the ride is like when I bought the vehicle two years ago.
I know this thread is somewhat old but I think I need new sensors for my wifes 06 GX470. Can you recall what the cost was to have them replaced and did the Lexus dealer do the work?

A mechanic said the front struts need to be changed to fix the ride quality and that the front right strutt is leaking oil. Problem is I can not get the ride height to change its just stuck in N. I'm hoping this may be the fix. If not I think I'm going to consider a coil over suspension conversion vs an OEM repair, just too expensive.

I remember the ride height use to change when the car was new. Now it doesn't and the front end is very bouncy ride quality stinks. Thanks for any inut that will help me out.
Old 11-26-12, 07:16 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

rwmagnus, before u get ripped by the mechanic, this is the criteria followed for strut replacement by Lexus, Hope this helps.

Last edited by mann777; 02-27-13 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 05:16 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having this issue with my wifes truck. It will be lowest setting in the morning and not adjust itself until you hit the switch. I checked for leaks and also checked if the compressor goes on which it does it just seems that it falls asleep and doesn't wake up until you start messing with the switch. Any ideas what my issue can be? I am guessing the sensor but which one there is two in the rear from what i have read on line.
thanks

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions