GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 12:25 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

what brand of spring are used in this kit? I am thinking the moog?
Old 10-19-17, 02:29 PM
Tact
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I found this thread as my wife's GX470 is experiencing some riding issues. GX has over 200K miles and has been a great car. I'm fixing to buy her something new, but it will be a while.

I've replaced the OEM shocks with the Toyota shocks some time ago and now, even when backing out of the garage going over the 1 1/2" curb, the rear end feels like it is bottoming out. There is also a sound of air hissing in the rear passenger side fender well behind the tire.

Thoughts???
Old 10-19-17, 02:45 PM
Tact
Driver

Let me clarify, sometime there is a hissing sound from the passenger rear, and sometimes there is no sound. My wife just got home and there was no sound. However, I pushed down on the rear and if feels like the shocks were bad as the rear bounced pretty badly.

I raised the height to "H" and there was hardly any bounce to the rear, as it should be. I even pulled in the garage and there was no bad bouncing in the rear as I pulled in. So I drove it around the block and the suspension adjusted itself back to the "N" position. When I got home the rear was back to the bad bouncing in the rear.

Now I'm really confused if it's the shocks that are bad or the air bags.
Old 10-20-17, 06:13 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

tact: It sounds like the right bag has a hold in it. Replacing both rear bags is less than $200 if you do the work yourself. Might need to pick up a few fittings from Lexus dealer.. not sure

Old 10-24-17, 01:46 PM
01Snake
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay...didn't want to start a new thread so I'm going to add my question here...

Noticed my 2008 with 110K miles suddenly taking bumps, speed bumps, etc very abruptly. Did some research here and also contacted my Lexus Service Rep via email and was told it was most likely the air bag suspension deals. I did the measure test on them and after 5 hours, the vehicle did drop so the bags were leaking. I went ahead and replaced the bags at a friends shop and while the ride did improve slightly, I am still thinking the vehicle is taking bumps too hard. Going over big speed bumps is almost painfully harsh.

Does it sound like I should replace the shocks as well?? I'd take it into Lexus but with 110K miles, I'm sure they are going to need replaced soon anyway.

What would you guys/gals recommend?
Old 10-25-17, 09:06 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

You can crawl under and see if the shocks are leaking, as a first step.
To see if they're worn out, put the comfort adjustment on the middle position (straight up) and then sit in the rear cargo area then jump off and see how many times it bounces - if it's more than about 1.5 or 2 ... time for new shocks.

Chip H.
Old 10-29-17, 01:03 PM
Tact
Driver

I replaced the factory shocks some time ago with Toyota 4runner shocks. Recently the ride has diminished again and the bouncing in the rear is unbearable. It feels like it is bottoming out and there is literally no suspension in the rear. Wife took it to a local mechanic and he thought it was the shocks, which I replaced a couple of years ago. So yesterday, I replaced the shocks again, and there was NO improvement.

Since I can raise the rear and lower the rear to High-Neutral-Lo, wouldn't that indicate that the bags are working properly? If one bag was bad then I could only adjust one side....correct? I just parked the car and raised it to High position. I'll check it in a couple of hours and see if it has leaked down. I can't imagine both bags are bad at the same time, but I guess it could happen.

If it is the sensor, how would you diagnose it? Are there two sensors, one for each bag, or is there one sensor for both?
Old 10-29-17, 01:44 PM
01Snake
Rookie

Taking mine into Lexus tomorrow to see what they say the problem is. Air bags were replaced and I'm still getting very jarring ride when going over bumps.
Old 10-30-17, 09:06 AM
Tact
Driver

Took mine to another mechanic today and he also suggested the conversion kit. I too am concerned about how it will ride compared to original suspension. I have concerns myself regarding resale or trade in complaints if this conversion is done. We are contemplating selling or trading it in soon.

Also, this link above suggests removing the fuse/relay in the engine compartment, and also removing the TEMS fuse under the dash. Where specifically are those fuses and relay?
Old 10-30-17, 01:21 PM
Tact
Driver

Well....after much thought, I've decided to order new air bags. Both bags are leaking and I want to keep it original.
Old 10-30-17, 05:06 PM
vxphan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That what I did, replaced both rear air bags and the ride is super. For three weeks now, no more sagging, no more bouncing

I bought $120/each left and right from ebay

GENUINE TOYOTA LEXUS REAR LEFT CYLINDER SUSPENSION PNEUMATIC OEM 48090-35011
GENUINE TOYOTA LEXUS 4RUNNER GX470 RIGHT REAR SUSPENSION AIR BAG OEM 48080-35011

and this tool from ebay $7.5 7 in 1 Air Conditioning A/C Fuel Line Disconnect Oil Pipe Removal Slit Tool. This tool make the job way easier. An hour for both sides
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-02-17)
Old 10-30-17, 05:12 PM
01Snake
Rookie

Took mine in this morning due to the harsh feeling when hitting bumps/speed bumps/driveways, potholes, etc. Wasn't so much the front but the rear felt very jarring like it was bottoming out and not absorbing the impact like it used to. The service rep said they inspected it and see zero signs of leaking. They also test drove it and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. I know I'm not crazy. The vehicle was driving great up until a month or 2 ago when I loaded some very heavy items in the back a few times. Since then, it just hasn't been taking bumps well. I replaced the air bags and it really didn't help much.

Am I nuts or could the original shocks with 111K miles on them just be wearing out with no leaks? Thinking about getting a set of the 4Runner shocks and throwing them on to see what happens.
Old 10-30-17, 07:05 PM
Toyo72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01Snake
Am I nuts or could the original shocks with 111K miles on them just be wearing out with no leaks? Thinking about getting a set of the 4Runner shocks and throwing them on to see what happens.
I've had plenty of dead shocks over the years with no visible leaks. Age + mileage, they don't last forever. Always amazed when replacing them, too, at how the ride is restored.
Old 10-30-17, 07:28 PM
01Snake
Rookie

Originally Posted by Toyo72
I've had plenty of dead shocks over the years with no visible leaks. Age + mileage, they don't last forever. Always amazed when replacing them, too, at how the ride is restored.
Thanks. I think I'll do the rears and see what happens.
Old 11-02-17, 04:24 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Great info there on that tool.... I'll be there too someday replacing mine on my 460.

Originally Posted by vxphan
That what I did, replaced both rear air bags and the ride is super. For three weeks now, no more sagging, no more bouncing

I bought $120/each left and right from ebay

GENUINE TOYOTA LEXUS REAR LEFT CYLINDER SUSPENSION PNEUMATIC OEM 48090-35011
GENUINE TOYOTA LEXUS 4RUNNER GX470 RIGHT REAR SUSPENSION AIR BAG OEM 48080-35011

and this tool from ebay $7.5 7 in 1 Air Conditioning A/C Fuel Line Disconnect Oil Pipe Removal Slit Tool. This tool make the job way easier. An hour for both sides

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions