GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 08:46 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you manually change the height, it will stay in "N". With the engine running you can change the height by toggling the control switch to "H" or "L". The dot next to the N will move to the new position and blink as the height of the truck changes, and stop blinking when it reaches the new height. You can toggle it to N again, or drive off and it will transition back to N on its own. The dot will blink again as the truck moves to the normal height.
Old 04-06-16, 08:59 PM
Tempock
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrowncods
Unless you manually change the height, it will stay in "N". With the engine running you can change the height by toggling the control switch to "H" or "L". The dot next to the N will move to the new position and blink as the height of the truck changes, and stop blinking when it reaches the new height. You can toggle it to N again, or drive off and it will transition back to N on its own. The dot will blink again as the truck moves to the normal height.
I see, so do i have to put it in neutral to change height to h or L? Once the height is changed, is there a speed limit at which it reverts to neutral? Meaning manual ride height can only be used in low speed?
Old 04-07-16, 02:45 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by cgdrennan
Great info bbrowncods. My 04 rides a little low in the normal setting and I regularly hit the bump stops. It rides a little better if I put in in high mode before driving and let it return to normal on its own around 20 mph. I need to try and adjust the sensors and see if that improves the ride. Sensors and bags seem to be working properly.

To adjust the sensors do I need to remove the rear wheels? I've seen a few close up pics and the brief time I've spent under the rear I haven't been able to locate the sensors.
12 years old? Height not working correctly? It's always the airbags, there is a leak somewhere. The rubber rots, pin holes show up
Old 04-07-16, 05:56 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Tempock
I see, so do i have to put it in neutral to change height to h or L? Once the height is changed, is there a speed limit at which it reverts to neutral? Meaning manual ride height can only be used in low speed?
There is a speed where the height goes back to "neutral" - it may be in the owner's manual, but I seem to recall 18 mph??

It's intended to give you more ground clearance when off road (the "high" setting) or to assist in hooking up a trailer or loading cargo (the "low" setting).

Chip H.
Old 04-09-16, 11:46 AM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2009 LX570 (100k miles) in my possession both yesterday and today. I was considering trading in the GX, but can't justify the cost right now. With that said, I've discovered that my shocks need replaced now at 135k miles (2006).

What would be the best way to start? I have cash on hand to do either the front pair or the back pair first, but not both. What would you guys recommend, fronts or rears first?
Old 04-09-16, 03:34 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roemer7
I had a 2009 LX570 (100k miles) in my possession both yesterday and today. I was considering trading in the GX, but can't justify the cost right now. With that said, I've discovered that my shocks need replaced now at 135k miles (2006).

What would be the best way to start? I have cash on hand to do either the front pair or the back pair first, but not both. What would you guys recommend, fronts or rears first?
Well, let me ask you this. Do you want the adjustability of the shocks? You certainly dont need them. If cash is tight I would look at some non-adjustable replacement from Arnott or Bilstein. Rockauto.com sells the arnott I believe.

Everyone sells the bilstein 4600 series. they will run you $300-$400 plus installation.

but if I have to choose, I would wait until I had enough coin to do both.
Old 04-09-16, 05:36 PM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response. After a little more research from other sites, it's probably a good idea to do all four corners at the same time.

I'd like to keep the Lexus ride. I'm not against Arnott or Bilstein as long as they give me a smooth ride.

I'll be doing the work myself.
Old 04-11-16, 01:44 PM
cgdrennan
Driver

Originally Posted by ALAN553
12 years old? Height not working correctly? It's always the airbags, there is a leak somewhere. The rubber rots, pin holes show up
I am really hoping a slight adjustment to the sensors will fix the issue. I remember reading about someone with the same symptoms being able to adjust the sensors to fix the problem. I feel like if there were a leak I would be hearing the compressor coming on a lot more. If it turns out to be the bags I'll be stuck in the replace vs. convert to coil dilemma.
Old 04-11-16, 01:48 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Good luck...been there, done it...finally found the pin hole in air springs after first adjusting the sensors and then replacing them when it was the leak all along. Besides rubber that is continually bending through inflation and deflation just has an end life.

Last edited by ALAN553; 04-12-16 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 09:29 AM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Originally Posted by cgdrennan
I am really hoping a slight adjustment to the sensors will fix the issue. I remember reading about someone with the same symptoms being able to adjust the sensors to fix the problem. I feel like if there were a leak I would be hearing the compressor coming on a lot more. If it turns out to be the bags I'll be stuck in the replace vs. convert to coil dilemma.
You need to ask yourself that if no one has been messing around with the sensors what caused them to be out of adjustment. Something changed. Most likely a part failed. Put the suspension on N and shine a flash light at the bottom of the rubber bags. There are tiny little cracks there. One of those goes completely through. Just sayin'.
Old 04-12-16, 09:06 PM
cgdrennan
Driver

Originally Posted by bbrowncods
You need to ask yourself that if no one has been messing around with the sensors what caused them to be out of adjustment. Something changed. Most likely a part failed. Put the suspension on N and shine a flash light at the bottom of the rubber bags. There are tiny little cracks there. One of those goes completely through. Just sayin'.
Did some more investigating today and raised vehicle to high position. Air bags look like they are in fairly decent shape. I sprayed soapy water on the bottom of the bags and didn't see any signs of leaks. This truck has been in WA state its entire life so it hasn't seen horrible weather other than lots of moisture. No real extreme temps or dry weather. I inspected the R and L heigh control sensors and they were both set at different positions. I raised both up very slightly and based on my measurements I was able to raise the rear about .5". I will update more when I get a chance to drive to see if there is a huge difference. My measurement from center of wheel to arch in fender is slightly under 21" which seems about stock with stock tire size. Before I adjusted the sensors I sprayed a little BP blaster based on other's recommendations, but they came loose with minimal effort so I probably didn't even need it. Hoping thats another good sign that I have some life left in the OEM suspension.
Old 04-13-16, 03:08 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Keep in mind that the cracks in the air bags can open and close depending on how much they are inflated. In the H position mine never showed a leak, it was while driving and the suspension was adjusting that it would happen. I ultimately got lucky one day and heard it leaking when I got out....put my hand up against it and felt the air coming out of a pin hole towards the top.
Old 04-13-16, 11:34 AM
cgdrennan
Driver

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Keep in mind that the cracks in the air bags can open and close depending on how much they are inflated. In the H position mine never showed a leak, it was while driving and the suspension was adjusting that it would happen. I ultimately got lucky one day and heard it leaking when I got out....put my hand up against it and felt the air coming out of a pin hole towards the top.
Appreciate the info. How did you detect the leak toward the top of the bag with the big black protector on? Were you just able to slide your hand up to feel for the leak?

I am a little hesitant to do the coil spring conversion because I would want to keep stock height and I have heard bad things about both OEM FJC coils and 4Runner coils. Sounds like the majority say 4runner coils are too soft and FJC coils don't handle additional weight well. I don't normally drive with the back fully loaded, but I will occasionally and would like to be able to pull a trailer as well.
Old 04-13-16, 05:33 PM
ALAN553
Racer

The cover just slides up,reach underneath, when it's leaking you will feel the breeze
Old 04-14-16, 07:14 AM
cgdrennan
Driver

Well after adjusting my AHC sensors to lift the vehicle about 1/2" it drives like it is on clouds. Before, it sat pretty level and now it has the slight rake that I notice on most of the GXs I see around town. I haven't ruled out leaking air bags completely, but based on all my measurements even after resting overnight, it stays constant. I can now use the comfort setting and actually feel comfortable! Whenever i used comfort mode before I would hit the bump stops all the time.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions