GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 07:35 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

I don't have the service manual - perhaps someone else can post the instructions.

Chip H.
Old 10-17-15, 06:25 PM
icc0191
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension problems

My driver side is allways about 1/2 - 1" higher than passenger side. I turned off the hight control when I parked the car and passenger side drop and driver side is same as when I parked it. Does it mean that I have leaky passenger side air boot?
Old 10-17-15, 06:34 PM
icc0191
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drdfblackm
Thank you for the input, but how can I be assured the right one that I did not replace was properly adjusted. I would like to find the shop manual write up on how to adjust them.
I could set it in the middle for both sides and see what happens. Some other thread said that you can caliberate it by set the height control(in the middle of console) to high and wait until it stops blinking and go back to the neutrol and wait until it stops blinking and go low and do the same and go back to the middle. This will reset the control height sensor.
Old 10-23-15, 12:14 PM
drdfblackm
4th Gear

Well I was having a problem with the low not being "low". So I was able to dump all the air and set the truck on the bump stops. Now the system is stuck in "N" and the off flashes. Not sure where to go. Before I dumped all the air the system would air up and down but not at the proper height. Now I can't get the system to air up. Both sensors are functioning, well at least they were yesterday. No leaks. And the 50A fuse is good and tested. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

I have read a few things about leaving the doors open and unplugging the battery which sounds nonsensical but there is not much about this vehicle that makes sense. I am wondering if the system needs to be reset? Is there a reset method?

Thank you for the input.
Old 10-23-15, 02:02 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

To reset the electronics, disconnect the negative terminal from the battery while the door is open (to give it a little bit of a current draw). Wait 2-3 minutes, close the doors, then reconnect it with a minimum amount of sparking (be quick and accurate).

Cars are more computer than anything these days, and they like having clean power. Any glitch means they can get wonky. Can't hurt to clean the terminals and inspect the cables for bulges (internal corrosion) while you're waiting the 2-3 minutes.

Afterwards you will have to reset your radio station presets and the auto-up windows. Do this by going to each door and holding the window button down until it drops all the way, then lift up until it closes and hold in the up position for 4-5 seconds more.

Chip H.
Old 10-26-15, 07:15 PM
icc0191
Driver School Candidate

I bought a set of the Air Bags and tried to change them. Does anyone know the trick to remove the air line from the Air Bag ? I pulled the round plastic clip back and tried to pull the air line out but it won't come out. HELP!
Old 11-09-15, 05:11 PM
icc0191
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by icc0191
I bought a set of the Air Bags and tried to change them. Does anyone know the trick to remove the air line from the Air Bag ? I pulled the round plastic clip back and tried to pull the air line out but it won't come out. HELP!
My problem was the air bag. Thanks everyone who shared their experience.
Old 11-30-15, 12:12 AM
Elliot470
Driver School Candidate

Default suspension sag

Hi guys,

I just joined CL...

From what I have read so far it seems like I am going to go with the rear coil conversion kit. Before I spend the money, I just wanted lay out what I am experiencing and hope one of you may know what the problem is exactly.

Here is what I know:
2003 GX470 with 160k miles.
When truck is off and sitting for a while it sags a bit, when turned on it doesn't automatically increase height.
The ride is really bumpy and rough over bumps/pot holes.
The truck raises and lowers when prompted(push button)

Any help with this would be helpful.
Thx
Old 01-03-16, 09:54 AM
wotcmac
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info on this thread.

I bought a 2006 GX470 (110K miles) from the rust belt and the rear was riding on the bump stops. I disconnected and exercised each of the height sensors and found one so stiff it was bending the mounting bracket. I replaced that one (New OEM $229 eBay) . Now it seems to be operating but I'm unable to set the ride height - it seems the rear air springs are binding or not operating smoothly - when I change the height position it thumps as it moves up/down, but it eventually gets there (kind of) and it won't retain that height during driving. I think the problem is that the height settles to a different position depending on if I go to normal from low or go to normal from high. I don't think this is normal, so I've ordered 2 new air springs from Arnott. I used discount code lexussave10 and got 10% off. Total was $350 with shipping.

Will post an update later. Wanted to get the Arnott discount code out there ASAP and wanted to know if anyone knows if the thumping during height change was normal?

Thanks
Old 03-29-16, 08:19 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding to the thread. 05 GX with suspension running a little high, but not the "jacked up" look one usually sees with some system failures. Also the truck rode good and level (regularly tow a 3500# travel trailer). Adjusted the sensors after removing and checking them visually (smooth rotation, seals in place, etc.). They both were good. Also, no codes.
Now leaks audibly from the right bag. Like previously experienced by others it will hold air when on H, but leaks on other settings.
Ordered bags from Amazon: Lexus OEM - L (48090-35011) $144.88, and R (48080-35011) $170.00.
I have experienced that Amazon has parts cheaper than EBay most of the time. I searched using the part numbers above.
After I replace the bags this weekend I'll set the height by the tech manual, measuring the voltage output of the sensors. I'll let you know how it goes.
Repaired: So I started with the L side by jacking up the backend by the axle and put a jack stand on the body frame on that side and then let the axle down. I dropped the Accumulator Assembly down so I could physically reach the clip on top of the airbag to remove it. Removed the airline and pulled the bag out. New one went in just as easily. I had to feel around for the right spot for the clip, but it went in easily.
Repeated on the Right side. It went quicker as I knew what to expect, and the clip was easier to reach. Total time was about 1.5 hours outside in my driveway. The time consuming part was figuring out how high to jack the frame up, placing the jack stand, removing the wheels, making sure it didn't fall off the jack, etc.
Definitely would do this again. No tools other than a 12mm wrench to remove the accumulator, a jack, a jack stand, and a lug wrench. Truck is level, all height modes hold, and no codes. No need to readjust the sensors.

What was wrong? Tiny dry rot cracks at the bottom where the bag inverts on itself. When fully inflated (H) they are compressed so little to no air leaks out. When on N or L the bag is rolled so that the cracks were being stretched open, and one or more cracks were leaking.

Last edited by bbrowncods; 04-01-16 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 10:02 PM
cgdrennan
Driver

Great info bbrowncods. My 04 rides a little low in the normal setting and I regularly hit the bump stops. It rides a little better if I put in in high mode before driving and let it return to normal on its own around 20 mph. I need to try and adjust the sensors and see if that improves the ride. Sensors and bags seem to be working properly.

To adjust the sensors do I need to remove the rear wheels? I've seen a few close up pics and the brief time I've spent under the rear I haven't been able to locate the sensors.
Old 04-05-16, 07:30 AM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Originally Posted by cgdrennan
Great info bbrowncods. My 04 rides a little low in the normal setting and I regularly hit the bump stops. It rides a little better if I put in in high mode before driving and let it return to normal on its own around 20 mph. I need to try and adjust the sensors and see if that improves the ride. Sensors and bags seem to be working properly.

To adjust the sensors do I need to remove the rear wheels? I've seen a few close up pics and the brief time I've spent under the rear I haven't been able to locate the sensors.
It is just easier to see and reach them. You could probably get to them from underneath if you had good light. They are real easy - one nut to loosen, and the sensor lever slides in the slot.
Old 04-06-16, 02:08 PM
Tempock
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

updated...

Last edited by Tempock; 01-23-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-06-16, 08:06 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tempock
I was quoted 2k to overhaul the air suspension to hydraulic, since the Lexus dealer suggested that air suspension would have too many problems. How does that sound?
Do you have problems with it now?
Old 04-06-16, 08:21 PM
Tempock
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

updated...

Last edited by Tempock; 01-23-22 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions