GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 11:44 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Could be sensor because the it uses one sensor to control both sides if one sensor is bad.
If you park for a while and it lowers then the bag may be leaking or some other leak.

So height problems would be sensors and if vehicle lowers after parking could be bags
Old 10-08-15, 11:51 AM
cgdrennan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
Could be sensor because the it uses one sensor to control both sides if one sensor is bad.
If you park for a while and it lowers then the bag may be leaking or some other leak.

So height problems would be sensors and if vehicle lowers after parking could be bags
Even with the car running, in park, at normal height the height seems like it should be an inch or so higher. Would this be sensors? Do bad sensors throw any codes? I don't have any check lights on my dash.
Old 10-08-15, 12:10 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You can adjust the sensors
The height is relative so it can be a pain. But you have to think why the sensors would need adjusting
Possibly the value of the sensor has changed due to age
I know if both sensor is bad you will get a check light for sure, not sure if One bad one will throw code

Now if height for N is not in correct range e.g. Too low, you can bottom out easier, but if N is too high the bags are overinflated and will have a harsh ride as well
Old 10-08-15, 03:55 PM
cgdrennan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jafch1

Go underneath your car with a 10mm wrench. To the side of both airbags, you will see this metal arm:

Using your 10MM wrench, go ahead and adjust both sides to the same setting, while adjusting the arms, raise and lower them with your hand and if possible, get some WD-40 and spray the living heck out of them. Then go into your GX and re-calibrate the air suspension (process shown below) and go for a drive.

Start vehicle, and confirm the height control says the vehicle is in normal height.
Lower vehicle to low, and wait for the light to turn solid.
Raise vehicle to Normal height, and wait for the system light to turn solid.
Raise vehicle to HIGH height, and wait for the system light to turn solid.
Lower the vehicle to NORNAL, and wait for the light to turn solid.
DONE.
Is the process above what I should do to adjust the sensor, which in turn will adjust the ride height?
Old 10-09-15, 06:21 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

It is. Follow the linkage up to where it connects to the arm, and the arm pivots on the height sensor (2 o'clock position from the "Hi" label)

Chip H.
Old 10-09-15, 06:30 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
It is. Follow the linkage up to where it connects to the arm, and the arm pivots on the height sensor (2 o'clock position from the "Hi" label)

Chip H.
Our adjustments are a bit different, my height sensors don't look like that nor do I have CV boots or swaybar links like that in the back of my GX like in that picture. That's clearly not a GX, but the adjustment principal is similar.
Old 10-14-15, 03:47 PM
icc0191
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same pro blem. car would bottom out and won't pump the air in. Dumb mechanic of mine thought it was the air compressor and change it. cost me about $800. but the problem was the sensor. I bought the sensor from lexus dealer online(much cheaper than local dealer) and changed it my self. It was very easy. When I took the sensor off, it was rusted and seize up. You could try to take the sensor off and clean the rust and greese it up and save a lot of money.
Old 10-14-15, 03:56 PM
icc0191
Driver School Candidate

Default Air suspension problems

years after I fixed my sensor, I have new problem. When the car is running, everthing works fine. But after the car is park for a while, it releases the air and the car bottoms out. Of course, once I start the engine, air pump up and back to normal. Any idea?
Old 10-14-15, 04:21 PM
PhilthyLex
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like you either have leaking air bags (one or both, depending if the rear sag is "level" or lopsided) or a leaking solenoid valve.

Arnott sells replacement air bags at 190$ per side, installation can be done with hand tools, an hour per side at most, this includes reading up on how to do the job properly and testing to make sure it was done correctly as well.

As for the solenoid valve, I haven't yet looked into the costs of part replacement and labor, but I'm sure another member can chime in with his/her experience.
Old 10-14-15, 07:56 PM
icc0191
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by PhilthyLex
Sounds like you either have leaking air bags (one or both, depending if the rear sag is "level" or lopsided) or a leaking solenoid valve.

Arnott sells replacement air bags at 190$ per side, installation can be done with hand tools, an hour per side at most, this includes reading up on how to do the job properly and testing to make sure it was done correctly as well.

As for the solenoid valve, I haven't yet looked into the costs of part replacement and labor, but I'm sure another member can chime in with his/her experience.
I don't think it's the air bag. I don't hear any air leaking sound. After the engine had been turned off for over 3 hours, then I find the car with no air at all. Any idea where the solenoid valves are?
Old 10-14-15, 08:03 PM
icc0191
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by icc0191
I had the same pro blem. car would bottom out and won't pump the air in. Dumb mechanic of mine thought it was the air compressor and change it. cost me about $800. but the problem was the sensor. I bought the sensor from lexus dealer online(much cheaper than local dealer) and changed it my self. It was very easy. When I took the sensor off, it was rusted and seize up. You could try to take the sensor off and clean the rust and greese it up and save a lot of money.
If sensor get stuck on low, car will stay bottom out. If sensor get stuck on high, car will stay high.
Like I mensioned before, don't spend any money until you take off the sensor and clean it with WD40 first. The sensor is not any electronic sensor. It's just mechanical moving part with switch. I believe 90 % of the time, this will solve the problem.
Old 10-14-15, 09:32 PM
PhilthyLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by icc0191
I don't think it's the air bag. I don't hear any air leaking sound. After the engine had been turned off for over 3 hours, then I find the car with no air at all. Any idea where the solenoid valves are?
Pardon me, it could be the Height Control Reservoir Assembly, not the solenoid valve. See pic Air Suspension Problems or Questions-image-3601080087.jpg

The solenoid valve is part of the assembly when you order it, I'll update my post when I find you the part #

Also looks to be a very simple install. Couple of bolts, harness clips and nipples. Not sure if any reprogramming is necessary.
Old 10-15-15, 08:15 AM
drdfblackm
4th Gear

Default Same Ol

I have a 2006 GX that I picked up. The driver side sensor was completely corroded to death. Replaced it. I am looking for how to properly adjust them. The rear goes up and down but does not go all the way down in the low setting. Still has that rake stance in low. I feel the system is working properly because in normal it will air up some and stop.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-15, 12:50 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

There's left & right side sensors (going by the parts diagram). You should be able to look at the adjustment on the passenger side and match it to get it adjusted "good enough".

Chip H.
Old 10-15-15, 04:05 PM
drdfblackm
4th Gear

Thank you for the input, but how can I be assured the right one that I did not replace was properly adjusted. I would like to find the shop manual write up on how to adjust them.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions