GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 07:19 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Invalid321
Hey guys, I was looking through the thread and wanted to toss my .02 in here. I work for Lexus and have noticed 1 major item missing from the things everyone has replaced. Height sensors, yes, those do seize and/or break often. Shocks, yes, they can leak, but its not a major deal. I believe alot of techs over-sell them. What i'm not seeing in this thread is that nobody has replaced the airbags. Those are possibly the cheapest part of the AHC system! We've done a few sets here at the shop. I wouldn't say its common, but with some of the strange happenings, strange ride heights after sitting, leaning, etc.. They can develop pinhole leaks. And when the pump is on constantly trying to maintain that ride height, it will shut off after a predetermined amount of time to save the pump from burning out. And that could cause the exhaust solenoid codes and other codes because the ecu is tricked into thinking those could be the issue. It can't monitor air pressure inside the airbag (although that would be nice)

Just trying to help share some knowledge.
this appears to be exactly what is happening to me...i even stated on drop off at lexus a few weeks ago that i occasionally here a hiss from the back right when i get out of the truck...they replaced the reservoir solenoid assembly becasue that is what the fault codes showed.....but it has been three weeks and the problem has not been solved, finally the other day while vacumming out the back of the truck, after climbing in the back...i started to hear the hiss...climbed under the truck and felt the air blowing in my face from that back right air bag...clearly only leaks then the rubber crinkles at a particular height. The truck is back at Lexus now. I am into the first repair for $1400...we will see how they handle me on the cost, i did ask that both bags be changed. The head mechanic did say they they more commonly see the height sensors go but oaccsionally the air bags will also. My sensors according to them are in good shape. Maybe becasue i have cleaned and lubed the linkage on them occasionally.

Last edited by ALAN553; 02-04-14 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 09:44 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Invalid321
Hey guys, I was looking through the thread and wanted to toss my .02 in here. I work for Lexus and have noticed 1 major item missing from the things everyone has replaced. Height sensors, yes, those do seize and/or break often. Shocks, yes, they can leak, but its not a major deal. I believe alot of techs over-sell them. What i'm not seeing in this thread is that nobody has replaced the airbags. Those are possibly the cheapest part of the AHC system! We've done a few sets here at the shop. I wouldn't say its common, but with some of the strange happenings, strange ride heights after sitting, leaning, etc.. They can develop pinhole leaks. And when the pump is on constantly trying to maintain that ride height, it will shut off after a predetermined amount of time to save the pump from burning out. And that could cause the exhaust solenoid codes and other codes because the ecu is tricked into thinking those could be the issue. It can't monitor air pressure inside the airbag (although that would be nice)

Just trying to help share some knowledge.
Thank you for chiming in! Great to hear from someone with hands-on experience. Most of us (me) are just guessing
Old 02-04-14, 05:58 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Both ride height sensors recently replaced, now this...ouch.
RCsGX,
Thank you so much, I owe you 6 pack of Golden Pheasants!
I'm very happy to report back that since 15 minutes ago, my suspension is working as it should.
I got sensors last year from e-bay (out of LS400 front) for $100. They are exactly same sensor just different bracket. Also left and right sensors are identical and the only difference is the mounting bracket.
Thursday I ordered used compressor assembly (bracket, connectors, intake filter) from a junk yard for $125 plus shipping out of 2005 GX. To my pleasant surprise, the whole assembly was like brand new compare to my old unit, I would guess 10K miles for that vehicle, too bad I didn't take pictures. Compressor showed up Monday (yesterday), tested with battery and runs fine.
After installation, compressor will not turn on with starting the car but worked while jumping relay terminals. I had to pull the codes again, showing 35 and 51. After reset with brake pedal, off light blinks as normal code. Started up and all works fine, up, down, as new. $250 into it is bargain, probbably less than diagnostics at stealership...
Will see how it performs, but I plan to check the voltage output of each sensor and set them to 2.31V (factory setting).
Thanks again, Bernard

Last edited by mbenz80; 02-04-14 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-04-14, 09:09 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mbenz80
RCsGX,
Thank you so much, I owe you 6 pack of Golden Pheasants!
I'm very happy to report back that since 15 minutes ago, my suspension is working as it should.
I got sensors last year from e-bay (out of LS400 front) for $100. They are exactly same sensor just different bracket. Also left and right sensors are identical and the only difference is the mounting bracket.
Thursday I ordered used compressor assembly (bracket, connectors, intake filter) from a junk yard for $125 plus shipping out of 2005 GX. To my pleasant surprise, the whole assembly was like brand new compare to my old unit, I would guess 10K miles for that vehicle, too bad I didn't take pictures. Compressor showed up Monday (yesterday), tested with battery and runs fine.
After installation, compressor will not turn on with starting the car but worked while jumping relay terminals. I had to pull the codes again, showing 35 and 51. After reset with brake pedal, off light blinks as normal code. Started up and all works fine, up, down, as new. $250 into it is bargain, probbably less than diagnostics at stealership...
Will see how it performs, but I plan to check the voltage output of each sensor and set them to 2.31V (factory setting).
Thanks again, Bernard
MMmm, Golden Pheasants! Good choice!

It's always good news to hear when recycling leads to repairs at less $$ with great results!
Old 02-10-14, 12:50 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you do the rear spring conversion and want to get rid of the AHC switch this is an OEM part that LXs / LCs use. You can choose from 2 types:
  • 58839-60020 blank (approx. $10)
  • 58839-60040 pocket (approx. $12).

Old 02-10-14, 08:19 PM
14GS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool storage
Old 02-13-14, 08:21 AM
Enforcer27
Driver School Candidate

I wish I would have checked the air bags a while a go... Found one ripped and I am sure the other is leaking... 175 a piece on eBay.... Same day I was looking guy out Florida listed both side for 90 in like new condition... Bought them up and they should be here today. I hope they are fairly simple to install. Doesn't look tough from what I can see with the tire on...

Any good advice on replacing them would be handy!!

Chris
Old 02-13-14, 08:25 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Enforcer27
I wish I would have checked the air bags a while a go... Found one ripped and I am sure the other is leaking... 175 a piece on eBay.... Same day I was looking guy out Florida listed both side for 90 in like new condition... Bought them up and they should be here today. I hope they are fairly simple to install. Doesn't look tough from what I can see with the tire on...

Any good advice on replacing them would be handy!!

Chris
"like new condition" is such a broad statement, did he say how many miles are on them?
Old 02-13-14, 10:15 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have to change the air springs also. After replacing compressor I find the rear suspension lower than normal in the morning. When I was under, I could see micro cracks and dry rot all over the bags. Protier and Suncore makes also same aftermarket air spring to fit but I have no idea how reliable they are and how long they will last for $130 each vs $208 each for oem.
Anyone has good/bad experience with aftermarket air springs to share?
Thanks, Bernard
Old 02-14-14, 06:39 AM
Enforcer27
Driver School Candidate

Anyone one how to pull out the old air bags... Looking at the ones I just got doesn't look like there are many bolts if any???

Any pics or videos I could reference.. I am doing this in my snow filled drive way in 10f weather so don't want to waste much time if I don't have to..
Old 02-14-14, 07:12 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mbenz80
I think I have to change the air springs also. After replacing compressor I find the rear suspension lower than normal in the morning. When I was under, I could see micro cracks and dry rot all over the bags. Protier and Suncore makes also same aftermarket air spring to fit but I have no idea how reliable they are and how long they will last for $130 each vs $208 each for oem.
Anyone has good/bad experience with aftermarket air springs to share?
Thanks, Bernard
I haven't seen anyone using aftermarket airbags but seeing as your current airbags have lasted 10yrs., I'd spend the extra $156.00 and stick with OEM.

Old 02-14-14, 09:48 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by Enforcer27
Anyone one how to pull out the old air bags... Looking at the ones I just got doesn't look like there are many bolts if any???

Any pics or videos I could reference.. I am doing this in my snow filled drive way in 10f weather so don't want to waste much time if I don't have to..
They just sit there, just lower axle away from body, turn 90 degrees, key like hook on the bottom...but you may need a special Toyota tool to deal with detaching and reinstalling air lines.
Old 02-17-14, 09:22 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Lexus admitted that my suspension problems were the air springs after replacing the solenoid reservoir assembly last month. So they ordered the springs on feb 3, called the 4th to say they were back ordered and would not be in until 2/18. Just got another call to say now they are not expecting them until feb 28. They dont seem too concerned seeings how they have loaned me an RX, but and air spring shortage? They said it is a japanese supplier and there are not available in the US...Sewell shows them instock but my dealer wont install outside parts, especially when they are in the middle of negoitating a price with me after not getting it right the first time.
Old 02-17-14, 12:52 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Lexus admitted that my suspension problems were the air springs after replacing the solenoid reservoir assembly last month. So they ordered the springs on feb 3, called the 4th to say they were back ordered and would not be in until 2/18. Just got another call to say now they are not expecting them until feb 28. They dont seem too concerned seeings how they have loaned me an RX, but and air spring shortage? They said it is a japanese supplier and there are not available in the US...Sewell shows them instock but my dealer wont install outside parts, especially when they are in the middle of negoitating a price with me after not getting it right the first time.
When I had my brake caliper replaced on my Tundra under warranty my local Toyota didn't have it in stock so they asked the other Toyota dealer if they had one and they did and had them overnight the part to them.

I could see if Sewell was just a parts dealer but they're an actual Lexus dealer so I don't see what the big deal is getting a part from them? One would think that your dealer would be bending over backwards to fix your GX seeing as you paid almost $1,300.00 on a part that might not have needed replacing in the first place. I guess they don't care since they're doing you a favor by giving you a loaner.
Old 02-17-14, 01:24 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by RCsGX
When I had my brake caliper replaced on my Tundra under warranty my local Toyota didn't have it in stock so they asked the other Toyota dealer if they had one and they did and had them overnight the part to them.

I could see if Sewell was just a parts dealer but they're an actual Lexus dealer so I don't see what the big deal is getting a part from them? One would think that your dealer would be bending over backwards to fix your GX seeing as you paid almost $1,300.00 on a part that might not have needed replacing in the first place. I guess they don't care since they're doing you a favor by giving you a loaner.
I agree, already angry about phase one, don't want to rock the boat too much until the truck is fixed. Put a call in to corporate Lexus in California, naturally they were closed for Presidents' Day.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions