GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Need your advice: get 90k mile service or save $1000?

Old 12-28-11, 08:45 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the timing belt 6 months ago on my own, with heads since the belt broked and bent few valves.
Water pump was factory original with 256,000 miles on it working fine with tight bearing and no signs of leaks. I bought one together with belt (oem Aisin pump with Mitsuboshi oem belt for $20 + shipping from e-bay, I got lucky 1 bid).
First belt on my GX was replaced at 89K miles but the second one lasted only 160K before breaking.
What I had found out when I was replacing all of it, that more important then the pump are idler and tensioner bearings (I bought both oem Koyo for $70 from Amazon).
Used set of heads out of Tundra cost me $275 including shipping, another $250 for complete engine gasket set (from local Lexus dealer). I left the oringinal thermostat in it.
No special tools needed, most just 10, 12 and 14mm sockets and one good torque wrench.
The whole vehicle fully loaded with every option offered in 2003 year model was $2,500 (with bad engine that was dealer's offer to owner) and that is what I've paid for it plus $900 in parts and my own time, now running like a swiss watch.
About the fluids, last change was at 120K and after 130K on them, gear oil in both differentials was like new.
The most important would be transfer case oil, do that and check it for famous shift motor o-ring leak before any other fluids.
Good luck and a happy new year to all.
Bernard
Attached Thumbnails Need your advice: get 90k mile service or save 00?-dsc01623.jpg   Need your advice: get 90k mile service or save 00?-dsc01653.jpg  
Old 12-29-11, 02:16 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info.
I admire how your car has so many miles and still is in such good condition. I could learn a lot from you since I plan on keeping mine for a very long time and drive a lot.

Reminds me of my 94 LS400 which racked up 274k miles and still ran strong when I sold it.
Old 12-29-11, 03:05 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sweet anecdotal data.... i'll make sure to replace the idler and tensioner bearings. something was def not right for your belt to go at 160K miles or less than 70k miles.

thx!
Old 12-29-11, 08:02 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Originally Posted by ROK
sweet anecdotal data.... i'll make sure to replace the idler and tensioner bearings. something was def not right for your belt to go at 160K miles or less than 70k miles.

thx!
Timing belt was replased at 89K miles (90K service) then it broked at 256K miles, so it lasted for 167K miles. Previous owner towed it to dealer and he was quoted $6,000 for repair or $2,500 for the car towards purchase of another new or used Lexus. I bought it and towed it home from Lexus dealer. On the shredded pieces of belt you could see dry rot and cracks all over it, swivel bushing on tensioner bearing had a little play to it so belt was riding close to outside edge of bearing.

Last edited by mbenz80; 12-29-11 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-26-22, 11:45 AM
GX4OLand
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Mbenz. Do you still have your GX? How many miles? I just purchased an 03 GX470 with 170,000 miles. I know that I need to replace the T belt, but there is SO much conflicting info out there regarding where / how to do the actual belt replacement. I do feel competent to do the job on one hand, as I have always done basic maintenance on every vehicle, motorcycle, etc. for 50 years....BUT, the install of the new T belt has me quite nervous. Do you use the factory hash mark on the cams or the "T" mark, is it 50 degrees before or 50 degrees after. Do you recall exactly where you positioned the belt and markers in order to keep them in alignment for the new belt install? Thanks
Old 01-26-22, 05:41 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Why risk it. Its the one part that can ruin your day, your week and your bank account. I went with the Toyota dealer and paid $850 for the service including WP. I called them and they misquoted me. Real price was $1000. They honored their original quote. Think about it. Most of us own our truck (no payments). $1000 is $83 a month for 12 months. Well worth it imo for the peace of mind.
Old 01-27-22, 04:50 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I paid to have the belt replaced at the dealer, so that I get the 1 year parts warranty, and someone to complain to if it went badly.

When I did my second timing belt change, I did both belts, the water pump, the thermostat, both tensioners, the front main seal, and the idler pulleys. Probably should also have done the upper & lower radiator hoses, but they're still soft & pliable after 17 years.

Chip H.
Old 01-27-22, 10:30 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Originally Posted by GX4OLand
Hello Mbenz. Do you still have your GX? How many miles? I just purchased an 03 GX470 with 170,000 miles. I know that I need to replace the T belt, but there is SO much conflicting info out there regarding where / how to do the actual belt replacement. I do feel competent to do the job on one hand, as I have always done basic maintenance on every vehicle, motorcycle, etc. for 50 years....BUT, the install of the new T belt has me quite nervous. Do you use the factory hash mark on the cams or the "T" mark, is it 50 degrees before or 50 degrees after. Do you recall exactly where you positioned the belt and markers in order to keep them in alignment for the new belt install? Thanks
If it has 170K miles, the belt was already replaced ones. If you are able to find out when or at what mileage, it would be plus. You may easily have 20K to go on your second belt without worries, which is 2 years worth of average driving. I sold mine with 375K miles in perfect running condition few years ago but I kind of miss it especially for its towing power. instead I rebuild BMW E60 M5 V10 5.0L last year with bad crankshaft & its a missile launcher compare to any other previous cars I have owned with the 507 HP to your disposal. I don't remember exactly what timing marks I was lining up but the job was very easy. I got all components by part number including water pump and it cost less than $200 back then. I kept all detailed documentation binder for my GX470, in the case I would find one for good deal in the future or I had to work on one of them, since I have friends who owns GX470 & Tundra with same engine. I'm sure there is few videos on youtube for timing lineup on Toyota 2UZ-FE engine line used in many models.
Old 01-27-22, 11:32 AM
GX4OLand
Rookie

Originally Posted by mbenz80
If it has 170K miles, the belt was already replaced ones. If you are able to find out when or at what mileage, it would be plus. You may easily have 20K to go on your second belt without worries, which is 2 years worth of average driving. I sold mine with 375K miles in perfect running condition few years ago but I kind of miss it especially for its towing power. instead I rebuild BMW E60 M5 V10 5.0L last year with bad crankshaft & its a missile launcher compare to any other previous cars I have owned with the 507 HP to your disposal. I don't remember exactly what timing marks I was lining up but the job was very easy. I got all components by part number including water pump and it cost less than $200 back then. I kept all detailed documentation binder for my GX470, in the case I would find one for good deal in the future or I had to work on one of them, since I have friends who owns GX470 & Tundra with same engine. I'm sure there is few videos on youtube for timing lineup on Toyota 2UZ-FE engine line used in many models.

Many thanks MBenz. Yeah, I'll just have to dig in and get the project started once I receive the remainder of my parts orders....That E60 must be a hoot!!!
Old 02-07-22, 12:55 PM
GX4OLand
Rookie

Hi fellow GX'ers. I understand from various videos that it is fairly common, especially for the left cam (driver's), and possibly the right cam as well, to jump in one direction or another during or after removing the old timing belt. Can anyone confirm whether or not it might be a problem to turn either of the two cams clockwise or counterclockwise, in order to get the cam marks on the new belt lined up again with the cams?....and is it preferable to turn the cams by force ONLY in one direction, clw or ctrclw in order to achieve the desired alignment? Thanks
Old 02-07-22, 02:22 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I did a search for a camshaft lock tool for the 2UZ-FE and didn't find one.
There is no problem moving the camshaft back to the correct position on the non-VVTi motors. *Probably* no problem on the VVTi ones.

Chip H.
Old 02-07-22, 03:09 PM
GX4OLand
Rookie

Smile

[QUOTE=chiph9;11223554]I did a search for a camshaft lock tool for the 2UZ-FE and didn't find one.
There is no problem moving the camshaft back to the correct position on the non-VVTi motors. *Probably* no problem on the VVTi ones.

Chip H.

OK, thanks Chip. Yeah, I looked at any option of temporarily holding the cams in place and just can't get creative enough I guess, to figure that out. Besides, whilst I'm in there, at 170,000 miles, I'm thinking about replacing the cam seals and the crank seal as well......I've now turned a basic "timing belt / water pump R & R" into that plus......serp belt, timing belt & serp belt idlers, tensioners, thermostat, all heater, oil cooler and radiator hoses, fan bracket assembly, cam & crank seals, Spark plugs, Radiator cap and drain plug, and of course all new Toyota red coolant......I'm guessing that for my first time, I'm looking at 20+ hours.....I'm a bit slow and methodical, torque things to spec, and clean everything back to near new condition as I go....thanks again
Old 02-11-22, 06:21 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Default Timing belt marks

Originally Posted by GX4OLand

Here is the drawing of timing marks that I've used.
Bernard
Old 02-11-22, 02:27 PM
GX4OLand
Rookie

Thank you VERY much Bernard. I plan on starting this weekend with a multiple times coolant cleaner & flush, then starting to tear things apart. As I am quite detailed minded and methodical on matters of such import, I plan on taking several days this first time, and I will be replacing MANY more items this first time around than just the timing belt / water pump related items......CHEERS