GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 GX 470 Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-11, 05:10 PM
Sparkr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GX 470 Mileage?

I am looking to purchase a 2005 GX 470 but am getting very confusing information re: gas mileage and/or use of premium gas. I've seen as low as 12 miles per gallon and as much as 20. The rating is 15 City and 19 Highway. Can I get some real consumer information from members of the forum. This car will be used primarily on the east cost not in mountainous areas per se. Thank you for your assistance.

Steve Sparks
Old 12-09-11, 06:53 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not good.

"Search" is your friend.

Enjoy!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-economy.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...s-mileage.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...roll-call.html
Old 12-09-11, 09:10 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a post or two in the "Poor gas mileage thread" recently posted. Read what I said about running slightly higher tire pressure, not oversized heavier tires, windows rolled up or sun roof closed. It makes a difference in mpg. Sometimes I feel the air coming on, when it really isn't that hot outside, so I turn the air off and use the recirculating fan.

I don't have a lead foot, so 20 mpg on strickly freeway is attainable for me. Normal people driving, should be in the 19 range that the epa sticker lists. Low end, don't know why some people got 12. I have never got below the epa's 15. This is a truck, with a truck frame, very heavy, and the aerodynamics of a brick, a tall brick.

With regards to premium, my lid for the gas cap states use premium in 2008. I always use premium, except when gas was over $4.00 a gallon. Never ran a controlled comparison test between the two. I know it will be a little less horsepower. It seems to be slightly less in gas mileage with regular. Very slight.

I drove a Buick high end SUV, before purchasing the GX. V6 motor, always at a higher rpm trying to pull that SUV. Lots of nice features, but could never be happy with a V6 straining all of the time. Unless my foot is really in it, I rarely hear my engine. Don't notice the transmission shifting. It is not hunting to find the best gear, because it is underpowered.

Test drove the BMW, Acura MDX, really, really like the Range Rover HSE. Would have bought that one in a minute, but the realibilty, especially with the electrical componets is poor.

Figure out how many miles you drive a year. Then take the percentage difference in miles per gallon you may loose with the GX. Will a couple of miles per gallon over a years time period add up to a significant amount of money for YOU.

Because of my business and age, I have bought over 50 cars and trucks in my life time. Some Cadillac's and Lincoln's, dollar for dollar, the GX470 is a great truck overall. I think in some ways, better than the new GX460
Barn door, take some getting use to. For me it is easier loading heavy equipment right on the rear floor, rather than loading it on a drop down tailgate and trying to push it in.
Old 12-10-11, 06:34 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have owned my 2005 for 70k mi now. Real world depending on driver, terrain etc I get 14 city avg and 18 hwy avg. Of course these are averages so some days I do better and some days I do worse. Premium fuel is not required.
Old 12-10-11, 10:15 AM
Sparkr
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank You Ancient!

First, thank you for your reply. I did see the other posts today. The problem for me is that I'm hearing as low as 12.2 and then as high as 21. I have a 2007 V8 4-Runner 4WD I have in Colorado is getting 19.3 although I travel typically long trips, although much of this is mountain driving. In the City this drops to probably around 18 but still very good. I've created a mileage matrix to show what I would save with other vehicles with higher mpg versus the GX 470, but not sure what to use for it. This vehicle will be in Washington where there is incredible traffic, so I know it's going to be low, but I have a reverse commute and a short one. Highway driving will account for the major mileage. A few trips to Florida, annually at 1,000 miles a pop. If I could get 18 or better on the long distance driving then I really would like to purchase the vehicle. I've owned a land cruiser years and years ago when gas was so cheap it really wasn't an issue whether I got 12 or 18....

Sparkr
Old 12-10-11, 12:12 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Does living in Colorado, being about a mile high, make a difference in mileage? I think you can do a lot better than 18 on the open highway to Florida. Older landcruiser wasn't probably 1000 lbs heavier than the GX's today. The new ones are 6000 lbs. This engine is a little more efficient today. Can't knock the 4 runner, but that is a V6 now. It is a rock solid truck today, but for me, I wanted a better enterior and less plastic. You may have to consider a Toyota Highlander, to get the guarnteed mileage. I test drove one of those two. Quiet, smooth, good looking car. 4 wheel drive street Queen.
Old 12-10-11, 12:16 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might be able to squeeze 18 on the interstate, but if you are a speeder, you wont. You're more likely to see 15-17 depending on cargo, wind, tires, A/C, and whether you use cruise control. Most of these wont kill your mileage individually, but if you are speeding with a heavy load driving into the wind with AT tires with cruise control on going up and down big hills, you're likely to end up on the lower side of that range.
Old 12-10-11, 12:19 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

The 15-17 MPG I referenced is done manually. Your dash will read 1 or 2 MPG higher.
Old 12-10-11, 12:54 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Sorry, reading over your original post, you are talking a 2005 model. I have a 2008 with the variable valve timing. I think that is what it is called. I believe the GX 460, may eek out 1 mpg, more than the GX470. So all of my comments relate to what I own. Not sure if the 2005 has VVTi
Old 12-11-11, 05:50 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow, a fuel matrix eah? If economy and 1 to 2 mpg's in either direction are material to you then the GX is probably not for you. In fact buying a heavy V8 powered SUV sounds like it doesn't fit your mold. It's a great truck, but economical it's not.
Old 12-12-11, 06:31 AM
Sparkr
Driver School Candidate

Default Response to Use of a Fuel Matrix

The "fuel matrix" runs from 15 to 26 MPG so that you can compare the monthly, annual costs for significantly different situations. I've owned Range Rover, Land Rover, 4-Runner, Mercedes, Acura, etc. I can't say any of these were fuel efficient. As someone who spends most of my leisure time fly-fishing, I need both a 4WD and something I can get by with in City traffic. Unfortunately, I live in an urban area where there is City driving, but thankfully on a reverse commute. I've never made a decision based solely upon the fuel costs, but with the costs much higher then every before, I like to know what I'm getting myself into financially. The best I can find (without it being a hybrid which I don't want) is only at 19, so the difference based upon regular gas is about $600 a year for 12,000. That $50 a month to have, what I hear from nearly everyone, is a great vehicle. That's worth it to me! But, for what it's worth, the difference between that and a hybrid getting 24 is nearly $100 a month. For some, watching a budget, that would make a difference.

Originally Posted by cssnms
Wow, a fuel matrix eah? If economy and 1 to 2 mpg's in either direction are material to you then the GX is probably not for you. In fact buying a heavy V8 powered SUV sounds like it doesn't fit your mold. It's a great truck, but economical it's not.
Old 12-12-11, 06:36 AM
Sparkr
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks.

This is good information and I appreciate it. What do you mean by AT tires (oversize?). Also, what is speeding (the speed limit at 70 or something above that?). I've read somewhere running at about 2200 rpms is a pretty good cruising speed. I do plan some trips to Florida at about 1,000 miles, but we're talking primarily rather flat surfaces on 95 and there would be virtually no cargo. However, I very much use cruise control in these situations, and would have thought this would have improved mileage versus reduced it. Again, thanks for your reply.
Old 12-12-11, 06:38 AM
Sparkr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Good knowing I don't need premium fuel.

Originally Posted by cssnms
I have owned my 2005 for 70k mi now. Real world depending on driver, terrain etc I get 14 city avg and 18 hwy avg. Of course these are averages so some days I do better and some days I do worse. Premium fuel is not required.
Old 12-12-11, 06:46 AM
Drew903
Driver School Candidate

I've had my 2005 GX for 3 months and have got as low as 13.3 and as high as 16.3. 13.3 was normal city and highway driving, the 16.3 was all highway. However most every other tank has been in the 15's running 89 octane. I have noticed if I get 92 octane I can bump my normal driving number from the 15's to low 16's but the extra $4.00 per tank it doesn't make sense. I would say my GX will never get 19 MPG. Of course a lot of variables come into play when your talking about gas mileage, Maybe if your buying from a private party you can ask them what they average. My numbers are done manually, not on the read out of the SUV, that shows in the 17s. That could be were your getting false numbers....
Old 12-12-11, 06:52 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

AT is All-terrain

The sweet spot for me has been between 60 and 65 mph for mpg. I drive 75, and I do good to hit 17.5mpg (hand calculated). I am in Alabama, but there are some hills in Birmingham where I live.

Cruise control is ok from an MPG perspective on relatively flat roads, but to get the best mileage on hills/mountains, you are *supposed* to use the downhill side to speed up and ease off the gas going uphill. This is not practical in most situations, but the truck will burn more gas trying to hold your speed going up a big hill. If the speed limit is 70, I usually keep it at 75, but I will operate between 70 and 80 depending on the hills. And whether there are cops.

Quick Reply: 2005 GX 470 Mileage?