GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Dashboard is Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 12:54 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ROK
I'd much rather look at the cracks.
the only cracks i wanna see are the ones on kate upton's behind... hahaha
Old 02-28-12, 04:12 PM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FEDUPLEXUS
I have read this thread for 2 hrs because i am having cracking problems with my 2004 RX330 dash. I just came from LEXUS OF ORLANDO, Winter Park location and let me tell you they are well aware of the PROBLEM. They have a "TEST" / list of QUALIFYING questions to ask you to see if they are going to help with the repair.

1. Are you the original owner? ..and why does it matter when the car is 8 yrs old and has 59,000 miles on it. The dash should not crack. My Dad was the original owner. STRIKE 1 on me
2. Do I have ALL maintenance performed by a LEXUS dealer? ...why should this matter. NO, I do not want to pay $45.00 for oil changes.
3. D i OWN 2 or more Lexus vehicles?..why should this matter? Quick answer...I am GLAD i do not OWN 2 2004 RX330's...I would have to pay for 2 X $1500 dash replacements.

I have also owned a 2004 TOYOTA CAMRY til recently and did not have dash problems with it. If they do not help with the replacement LEXUS / TOYOTA will fall next to HP on my family DO NOT BUY list.

I will have update next week...Wish me luck!!
Keep us posted. I don't live far from Lexus of Orlando. Courtesy Toyota next door is where I take mine for service. Fresh cookies just don't do it for me.
Old 12-31-12, 03:00 PM
MtPeanut
Driver School Candidate

Default Dashboard Crack...normal?

Hello all!!

New to Lexus, considering '06 GX470 purchase. Very low mileage, all seems in good condition except a crack that runs the span of passenger side dashboard. From center nav screen area to passenger side air vent (just above the airbag imprint). If it's cosmetic, I really don't care. If it's something more.....

CarFax shows no accidents. Owner stated it's from heat in FL and not conditioning while vehicle was stored, that this is "typical of FL heat & GX's". I've never heard of this. She's hardly been driven, less than 20k on her. Input?

Thank you in advance!
MtP

Last edited by MtPeanut; 12-31-12 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 05:19 PM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

If you go back 3 pages there is a long thread about dashboard cracks. I have always thought that a well serviced low mileage vehicle is a gem.
Old 01-02-13, 08:29 AM
txlincoln
Driver School Candidate

I have an '07 GX470, very well kept, dashboard cracked 3 days after I got it, but I would buy it again b/c it is such a good vehicle.

There are 3rd parties that can "patch" it....new dashboard with labor will run you $1200-$1500 from research I have done here in TX.

Long term I have been told if the crack gets really wide it could cause some issues, I am probably just going to do the "patch" job at some point.
Old 01-06-13, 07:07 AM
XX123
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem, dash is melting by vents at top and cracking is about 5 or 6 different places. I have always had a shield on it to protect interior from heat - seems there are a lot of problems with the dashboards on the Lexus - I've lived in Florida all my life had a number of cars (before window shields were invented) and I've never had a cracked or melting dash....
Old 01-07-13, 11:21 PM
MtPeanut
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback!
Old 02-05-13, 09:43 AM
xbrian
Driver School Candidate

Default Dashboard Crack...normal?

Mine cracked also. I have 3 separate cracks. From the radio to the heater vent on the passenger side, right across the driver's side instrument panel and a 4" fracture by the radio. I was told it was not covered under the extended factory warranty! Bummer!
Old 02-16-13, 05:13 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xbrian
Mine cracked also. I have 3 separate cracks. From the radio to the heater vent on the passenger side, right across the driver's side instrument panel and a 4" fracture by the radio. I was told it was not covered under the extended factory warranty! Bummer!
Call the dealer and have them contact lexus, i had the same issue and the covered it via goodwill jesture, yes they only covered 50% but who cares this was ugly and should never have happened. have 200K on my 03 and will keep this until is falls apart......3 lexus vehicles so far!!

Also I live in PA so it can happen anywhere!! garage kept too!!
Old 02-17-13, 07:46 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I would think you could get it replaced under CPO warranty, if there is one. Just as a reference, dash cracks are not the norm. I have an 03 with 15K miles and mine has been sitting out in the sun everyday at work in one of the hottest cities on the planet and no cracks. I do however, use the dealer bought double-insulated sunshade everyday. Paint, seats, trim moldings and all plastic parts still look good.

Sounds to me the car sat outside without dash protection. It may still be a very nice car and last for years. A good upholstery shop can fix the cracks too, but will likely be pricey.
Old 02-19-13, 05:35 AM
fulflaps
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracked Dash

I too am starting to see cracks on my 2005 rx 330.
Anyone have any inside data on this one?
Old 02-19-13, 05:53 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Are you people putting armor-all on your dashboards or what?
Old 02-20-13, 10:11 AM
scb71
Rookie

Default Common issue

This is unfortunately a very common issue. From what I have learned it has nothing really to do with where the car is garaged or anything like that - it's a manufacturing defect but the does not typically occur until well after the warranty is out so you just live with it. You can replace it but it is expensive.

My 2004 has always been in a garage and ours started to crack maybe 3 years ago - cannot really recall. It started small on the right side from the air vent. It now has cracks in multiple places on both sides. I am just going to live with it I guess - the car is almost 10 years old so it's not worth 2k for a purely cosmetic dash replacement to me.

If someone else has something great to share I would like to hear as well but I have never found anything other than it happens all the time.
Old 02-25-13, 09:44 AM
FEDUPLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

I originally posted
Originally Posted by FEDUPLEXUS View Post
I have read this thread for 2 hrs because i am having cracking problems with my 2004 RX330 dash. I just came from LEXUS OF ORLANDO, Winter Park location and let me tell you they are well aware of the PROBLEM. They have a "TEST" / list of QUALIFYING questions to ask you to see if they are going to help with the repair.

1. Are you the original owner? ..and why does it matter when the car is 8 yrs old and has 59,000 miles on it. The dash should not crack. My Dad was the original owner. STRIKE 1 on me
2. Do I have ALL maintenance performed by a LEXUS dealer? ...why should this matter. NO, I do not want to pay $45.00 for oil changes.
3. D i OWN 2 or more Lexus vehicles?..why should this matter? Quick answer...I am GLAD i do not OWN 2 2004 RX330's...I would have to pay for 2 X $1500 dash replacements.

I have also owned a 2004 TOYOTA CAMRY til recently and did not have dash problems with it. If they do not help with the replacement LEXUS / TOYOTA will fall next to HP on my family DO NOT BUY list.

2/25/13 Update. Nothing new. Lexus and Lexus of Orlando refused help of any sort just as they have with Moon Roof issue. Just purchased a VERY BEAUTIFUL NEW LINCOLN MKX. NO MORE LEXUS CRAP FOR ME!! Best way to teach them is to NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT, INCLUDING TOYOTA!!
Old 03-04-13, 05:50 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FEDUPLEXUS
I originally posted
Originally Posted by FEDUPLEXUS View Post

2/25/13 Update. Nothing new. Lexus and Lexus of Orlando refused help of any sort just as they have with Moon Roof issue. Just purchased a VERY BEAUTIFUL NEW LINCOLN MKX. NO MORE LEXUS CRAP FOR ME!! Best way to teach them is to NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT, INCLUDING TOYOTA!!
You'll be back. This is a glaring issue on the part of Lexus, and I will not defend their position, but if you get this angry over a dashboard, wait until that Lincoln starts falling apart after a year or two.

Quick Reply: My Dashboard is Cracking