GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Dashboard is Cracking

Old 01-07-14, 09:30 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Lexus just agreed to cover the parts 100%. Love my dealer.
Old 01-07-14, 02:30 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
Lexus just agreed to cover the parts 100%. Love my dealer.
Sweet. What'd you say to make them do that? Did you have to escalate the claim?

The million dollar question...how much are they charging you in labor?
Old 01-07-14, 05:25 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Sweet. What'd you say to make them do that? Did you have to escalate the claim?

The million dollar question...how much are they charging you in labor?
Nothing special other than plead my case.

I met with the GM of the dealership and explained what was going on and I advised him that it is a systemic problem noted on several forums to include CL. He asked that I send him an e-mail summarizing what I told him and I did, to include a link to the main CL cracked dashboard thread as well as to the 4-Runner owner's forum thread on the matter. He said he could certainly work on the labor problem for me, but that he would need to contact their Lexus corporate rep regarding the parts.

I suspect that because I have purchased both my Lexus vehicles from this dealer and I recently purchased a '13 Toyota Tundra, Lexus was more inclined to help.
Old 01-08-14, 06:40 PM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing special other than plead my case.

I met with the GM of the dealership and explained what was going on and I advised him that it is a systemic problem noted on several forums to include CL. He asked that I send him an e-mail summarizing what I told him and I did, to include a link to the main CL cracked dashboard thread as well as to the 4-Runner owner's forum thread on the matter. He said he could certainly work on the labor problem for me, but that he would need to contact their Lexus corporate rep regarding the parts.

I suspect that because I have purchased both my Lexus vehicles from this dealer and I recently purchased a '13 Toyota Tundra, Lexus was more inclined to help.
Congrats Chris. That's good news. I've been using our local Toyota dealer for service so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. I'm about to take it in for the 90K and I'll ask them to address it while it's there.
Old 01-09-14, 06:24 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by sprocket
Congrats Chris. That's good news. I've been using our local Toyota dealer for service so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. I'm about to take it in for the 90K and I'll ask them to address it while it's there.
It was refreshing to get the response esp after reading so many stories of Lexus not willing to help other customers. I guess brand/customer loyalty does come with some benefits. I am sure being that I am the original owner didn't hurt either, sine I think manufacturers have more of a tendancy to offer good-will coverage. It propbably didn't hurt that when I was in college I use to work as a lot attendant at a Nissan dealer where the now GM of my dealership was one of the new car sales managers, so we have some history - he's a good guy.
Old 01-09-14, 09:33 AM
lexus4x
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2003 GX470 cracked dash. Dealer said they would cover parts but I would have to do labor $797.98. I have put in a complaint with DOT NHTSA. They said if there is enough complaints they can push for a recall.
Old 01-13-14, 03:27 AM
lexus4x
Driver School Candidate

Default Needs to be a recall

Originally Posted by SolMiami
Count me in - 786 546 4500
I have a letter from the "customer satisfaction department" and an email from the Dealership in North Miami, denying to fix and giving me the most stupid way out!
They know this is a defect. It is also a danger. These cracks are on the passenger side airbag area. Push that point.

Everyone needs to go to the DOT NHTS put in a complaint . That's the only way to get a recall. If you already paid the $600- $800. labor you can get it back with a recall. Anyone know someone in the news business?
Old 01-19-14, 05:22 AM
cssnms
Racer

I dropped the truck off at my dealer yesterday. Lexus is covering 100% of the parts AND labor!

On top of it my dealer gave me 2014 RX loaner.

Needless to say I am very satisfied with how Lexus responded.
Old 01-19-14, 10:21 PM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I dropped the truck off at my dealer yesterday. Lexus is covering 100% of the parts AND labor!

On top of it my dealer gave me 2014 RX loaner.

Needless to say I am very satisfied with how Lexus responded.
Could this be Lexus' new policy on how to handle the matter? I really hope so.

Did you or your dealer have to contact lexus directly in order to get them to accept coverage?
Old 01-19-14, 11:49 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FlzRider

Did you or your dealer have to contact lexus directly in order to get them to accept coverage?
I doubt it. See his previous posts, #78 and #80.
Old 01-20-14, 05:44 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by FlzRider

I suspect Lexus evaluates each case individually rather than this being an example of a new policy.

Yes, the GM of my dealership contacted Lexus directly after I brought the issue to his attention.

I think this was nothing more than "good-will" based on a few factors 1) I am the original owner of my GX purchased at this dealer, 2) I have purchased 2 Lexus vehicles including my GX from this dealer, 3) I have had my vehicle serviced for some items at this dealer.
Old 02-02-14, 11:31 AM
carpot
Driver School Candidate

Default cover to hide the cracks

Originally Posted by brycejaq
Get one of those dash mats if all else fails. At least it'll look better than a bunch of cracks. I may get a dash mat to keep mine from cracking. http://www.autoanything.com/dash-mats/20A10025A1.aspx
Has anyone tried one of these for their RX 330 yet?
I just looked them up and found their only 4-star+ rated product for the model RX 330:
http://www.autoanything.com/dash-mat...ashboard-cover

Unfortunately, they don't have photos of it installed in the RX 330, and the photo they do have is of a very flat/plain (nearly perfectly rectangular) dash. Of course I'd need to see how it covers the smaller detailed areas and vertical surfaces, etc. of the 330.

I called them and they claim they're looking for photos (of product installed on an RX 330) now. They also offered to waive any potential return shipping (in the event not satisfied). I'll update this post if/after I install the product.

I also don't like covering up anything original of a Lexus, though the skin on the 2nd gen RX is quite plain, so might be better off afterall.
Old 02-02-14, 09:27 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

For those that have any marks etc. over the passenger side airbag maybe this is a point to bring up with Lexus and then site this thread too and hopefully they will replace the dash for free. It's one thing if it's just a cosmetic issue it's another issue all together if it's a safety issue dealing with an important part such as an airbag.

Obviously there's a defect with the material makeup of the dash itself or else there wouldn't be so many Toyota / Lexus owners with the same exact cracking issue. Toyota really needs to step up to the plate and issue a recall on this problem.

Originally Posted by lexus4x
Everyone needs to go to the DOT NHTS put in a complaint . That's the only way to get a recall. If you already paid the $600- $800. labor you can get it back with a recall.
YOU CAN FILE A COMPLAINT HERE ----> https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

EDIT: sprocket, why don't you add the link above to your original post? And even better yet the MODS here should make this thread a sticky.

Last edited by RCsGX; 02-02-14 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 09:45 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCsGX
For those that have any marks etc. over the passenger side airbag maybe this is a point to bring up with Lexus and then site this thread too and hopefully they will replace the dash for free. It's one thing if it's just a cosmetic issue it's another issue all together if it's a safety issue dealing with an important part such as an airbag.

Obviously there's a defect with the material makeup of the dash itself or else there wouldn't be so many Toyota / Lexus owners with the same exact cracking issue. Toyota really needs to step up to the plate and issue a recall on this problem.

YOU CAN FILE A COMPLAINT HERE ----> https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

EDIT: sprocket, why don't you add the link above to your original post? And even better yet the MODS here should make this thread a sticky.
Just added the link to my initial post.
Old 02-06-14, 02:40 AM
Katelater
Driver School Candidate

Filed my complaint! Cracks primarily on airbag for me too. Clearly a liability. Thanks for the link! Now, do I have enough gumption to tackle a mini "super glue, sand and paint" project to cope until the recall? No peeling or chunks missing. Just cracks. Cracks I want sealed. I painted a flawless spoiler in my youth, a textured dash can't be harder than a glossy black spoiler, right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Dashboard is Cracking