GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Dashboard is Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 07:52 AM
Apopka3271
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprocket
Keep us posted. I don't live far from Lexus of Orlando. Courtesy Toyota next door is where I take mine for service. Fresh cookies just don't do it for me.

Have a 2006 RX330 with all kinds of crazy cracking. Lexus of Orlando wants to charge
$ 2200.00 for the repair. No one in the central FL area can fix because of the type of dash
"Cold Process" for repair. Want to keep this vehicle for a while (90K mi). It's been a great car!
Have no idea where to go?

Apopka32712
Old 08-13-13, 07:57 AM
Apopka3271
Driver School Candidate

I live in Apopka and have an 06 RX330 with a cracked dash.
I have gotten nowhere with Lexus (or Lexus of Orlando).

We should not have this kind of problem with a premium vehicle.
Unfortunately, the dash is recycled Chinese made crap.

Perhaps we should organize this into a class action lawsuit?
Old 08-13-13, 08:03 AM
Apopka3271
Driver School Candidate

I am on board with a class action lawsuit against the smug Lexus people.
Apopka32712
Old 08-13-13, 02:59 PM
OHeddyB
Driver School Candidate

Class Action Suit, ALL THE WAY!!! Same story as most everyone. 2005 RX330, cracking and big chunks missing. Looks soooooooo bad! Embarrassed for people to ride with me and to pull up at a traffic light! HATE IT!!! LEXUS will not help in Alabama.
Old 08-20-13, 12:07 PM
lea0824
Driver School Candidate

I, too, have a 2006 RX330 and the dash looks like a cracked egg!! Large cracks around the a/c vents & along the edge. Small hairline cracks all over the main dash & it seems to be getting worse. The vehicle is kept in a garage and treated with leather conditioner but it is doing nothing to stop the progression of the cracking. Love the car but this would make be reconsider Lexus next time.
Old 09-07-13, 11:37 AM
TXGX470
Driver School Candidate

Default Crack Dash 2004 GX470

Add me to the list of Crack Dash. MIne is a on the main console. First I thought someone drew a line with a black pin. After reading this , looks like I'm gonna have to live with it. Love this car and plan to keep it forever til the wheels fall off.. in this case Til the Dash falls off
Old 09-10-13, 11:27 AM
wilfred
Driver School Candidate

What actually is the response of the manufacturers to this factory fault that is rampart?. It is disgusting. As responsible manufacturers of such hybrid car it is high time they came up with a solution.
Old 09-10-13, 12:47 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
What actually is the response of the manufacturers to this factory fault that is rampart?.
Pay to have it replaced unless under warranty. If you have a good relationship w/ your dealer maybe they'll make a deal with you but the best I've heard was 20%.

My wifes BMW was out of warranty for several years but they offered to fix it through a goodwill warranty. Too bad Toyota / Lexus won't step up to the plate and offer the same goodwill warranty because it's obvious certain dashes are defective.
Old 09-17-13, 10:27 AM
SolMiami
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brycejaq
Get one of those dash mats if all else fails. At least it'll look better than a bunch of cracks. I may get a dash mat to keep mine from cracking. http://www.autoanything.com/dash-mats/20A10025A1.aspx
Hi there, the problem is that in my case, the covers they sell is not long enough to cover the place of my dash board that already fell off.
Old 09-17-13, 10:29 AM
SolMiami
Driver School Candidate

Lets get together and bring Lexus to the news waive and see if they will do something about it.
This is my first and LAST Lexus for sure!
Old 09-17-13, 10:32 AM
SolMiami
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lea0824
I, too, have a 2006 RX330 and the dash looks like a cracked egg!! Large cracks around the a/c vents & along the edge. Small hairline cracks all over the main dash & it seems to be getting worse. The vehicle is kept in a garage and treated with leather conditioner but it is doing nothing to stop the progression of the cracking. Love the car but this would make be reconsider Lexus next time.
There are so many Lexus Owner with the same kind of problem that Lexus Manufactures should be ashamed and take responsibility for using such a crap material on a LUXURY car!
The following users liked this post:
tg9266 (07-20-21)
Old 09-17-13, 10:38 AM
SolMiami
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wilfred
What actually is the response of the manufacturers to this factory fault that is rampart?. It is disgusting. As responsible manufacturers of such hybrid car it is high time they came up with a solution.
You would not believe. I have a letter from the "customer service satisfaction department" saying that they will not fix it because "I NEVER TOOK THE CAR TO BE SERVICE BY A LEXUS DEALER and IT IS ALSO OUT OF WARRANTY"
I am the second owner of the car, and just a couple of month after buying the car form a private owner, the cracks started to show up. And now its falling off.
- To me, its not a matter of warranty, second ownership, or not servicing at a dealer... the point is that Lexus used a CRAP material to cover the dash board on that period of time, and THEY should take responsibility for it. This is not a $5,000.00 car, but rather a $50,000.00 PLUS car!
Old 09-17-13, 10:54 AM
SolMiami
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sprocket
Yesterday I noticed a very small crack on my dash. After a closer inspection, I found several more. I've read a good bit about the issue online.

At this point it's not bad, but I know what's coming. The GX is still covered under the CPO warranty until June of 2012, but a quick read shows it is not covered.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. It only has 72K on it and it is in great shape otherwise. Things like this really stress me out, and my first thought is trade it in as used GX prices are pretty high right now. Because I take clients in my GX, I can't let the cracks get out of hand without fixing it.

I've read where servicing history may come into play, and I use my local Toyota dealer instead of Lexus. I bought the vehicle out of town, so I may check with the selling dealer too.
I don't know where you are located, but if you come across of a place here in Miami, pls let me know. I tried to find a place to re-cover the part, but didn't!
The West Kendall Dealership charged me $3000.00 to replace it, parts and labor!
Old 09-17-13, 11:03 AM
SolMiami
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Apopka3271
Have a 2006 RX330 with all kinds of crazy cracking. Lexus of Orlando wants to charge
$ 2200.00 for the repair. No one in the central FL area can fix because of the type of dash
"Cold Process" for repair. Want to keep this vehicle for a while (90K mi). It's been a great car!
Have no idea where to go?

Apopka32712
That's also my problem here in Miami. I can not find a place to fix it. And Lexus at West Kendall charged me $3,000.00 for parts and labor to have it replaced.
I want to sell my 80K mile Lexus, but been unable because of this problem
Old 09-17-13, 11:06 AM
SolMiami
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Pay to have it replaced unless under warranty. If you have a good relationship w/ your dealer maybe they'll make a deal with you but the best I've heard was 20%.

My wifes BMW was out of warranty for several years but they offered to fix it through a goodwill warranty. Too bad Toyota / Lexus won't step up to the plate and offer the same goodwill warranty because it's obvious certain dashes are defective.
To pay to have it replaced will be $3000.00 parts and labor. I can not afford that, and to sell the car. But with this problem I am not been able to.

My Lexus had only 65K miles when it started to crack and fall apart!

Quick Reply: My Dashboard is Cracking