GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Dashboard is Cracking

Old 02-29-16, 08:50 AM
thx10
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting new dash installed today.

I was on the "list" since August and local dealer told me it had been ordered. But in late January I brought it in for some PM service and asked them about it

They took some photos ( had thin crack by center speaker and another by left vent on drivers side) and ordered it. So much for being on the list.

Just a little over 4 weeks and it came in.

I guess it depends on color. According to service rep, on length of delay.

Mine is the taupe, brown, etc.
Old 03-01-16, 01:21 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Still waiting on mine. I've been on "The list" since last June.
Old 03-08-16, 02:06 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been on the list March / April last year. I was told they'll be in June, then Sept. then early 2016. I bet they're going to say next 2017!? I don't plan on selling my GX but if I do NOBODY is going to give me top dollar with a cracked dash.

My wife works at Lexus and she was told today I was number 123 on our dealers list, I don't know if that's for every model or I'm number 123 as far as GXs are concerned. With all of the thousands of GXs with cracked dashes good luck to me every getting one. Toyota / Lexus needs to handle this better.

And now I see there's a side curtain airbag recall where they're going to replace the airbag module but that's not starting until later this year so that will probably be replaced probably in 2019.
Old 03-08-16, 02:26 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCsGX
I've been on the list March / April last year. I was told they'll be in June, then Sept. then early 2016. I bet they're going to say next 2017!? I don't plan on selling my GX but if I do NOBODY is going to give me top dollar with a cracked dash.

My wife works at Lexus and she was told today I was number 123 on our dealers list, I don't know if that's for every model or I'm number 123 as far as GXs are concerned. With all of the thousands of GXs with cracked dashes good luck to me every getting one. Toyota / Lexus needs to handle this better.

And now I see there's a side curtain airbag recall where they're going to replace the airbag module but that's not starting until later this year so that will probably be replaced probably in 2019.

Yup. We were curious about trading it in for a newer 4R. Toyota dealer won't give me anything of worth because of the DASH despite the recall.

Hopefully before my kids grow up and move out we can get a dash.
Old 03-09-16, 09:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I am still waiting for my dash to crack, maybe I got the one good dash from the factory lol.
Old 03-09-16, 10:46 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I've got some smaller cracks around the gauge cluster. But I've also got a soft section over the passenger airbag - it will take and hold fingerprints (and leave you with a gummy fingertip).

Chip H.
Old 03-09-16, 01:50 PM
KnooBee64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Called Akron-Canton Lexus again today just to see where I was on 'the list' and was advised that there is presently no ETA for the dashboard for the GX470. The parts guy advised that it's probably within 90 days, but could not commit to same. Like all of you others, I'll sit and wait patiently.

The GX is at my local shop (not Lexus dealership) for timing belt/serpentine belt/water pump replacement, radiator repalcement (dealer that sold it to me gave me a $200 credit and I purchased a KoyoRad from Go-Parts.com), trans fluid flush, steering fluid flush, Amsoil synthetic oil and fuel filters.

Also, the steering boot on the drivers side is torn and I may have the half-shaft replaced instead of waiting.

Hopefully, by the time it's completed, I'll be good to go for 100K on most.
Old 03-09-16, 04:43 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin727
Yup. We were curious about trading it in for a newer 4R. Toyota dealer won't give me anything of worth because of the DASH despite the recall.

Hopefully before my kids grow up and move out we can get a dash.
Yeah that sucks we have to take a hit on selling for a cracked dash.

I've been thinking of selling my GX because we really need something with more room in the 2nd row. My wifes Lexus dealer just got in a '04 LX but it has tan interior which I hate so that won't work. They also got in a clean '09 QX56 black on black fully loaded, 40K miles / 1 owner / all maintenance records done at the local Infinity dealer. I might make an offer this weekend on it but I don't know too much about them. I loved how spacious it is compared to the GX though.

Originally Posted by chiph9
But I've also got a soft section over the passenger airbag - it will take and hold fingerprints (and leave you with a gummy fingertip).

Chip H.
The top of my dash (above the passenger airbag) does the same thing but only when I'm parked outside. The heat will make parts of the dash really soft and gummy like you said. One time I was cleaning the dash and my fingernail caught part of the dash and took a chunk out of it?!! They really dropped the ball on our dashes!
Old 03-09-16, 05:57 PM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My dashboard has been showing a film on it. I clean it, but the film returns within a couple weeks. It's like a phase separation is happening with the plastic of the dash - not a good sign.
Old 03-10-16, 07:00 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Yeah that sucks we have to take a hit on selling for a cracked dash.

I've been thinking of selling my GX because we really need something with more room in the 2nd row. My wifes Lexus dealer just got in a '04 LX but it has tan interior which I hate so that won't work. They also got in a clean '09 QX56 black on black fully loaded, 40K miles / 1 owner / all maintenance records done at the local Infinity dealer. I might make an offer this weekend on it but I don't know too much about them. I loved how spacious it is compared to the GX though.

The top of my dash (above the passenger airbag) does the same thing but only when I'm parked outside. The heat will make parts of the dash really soft and gummy like you said. One time I was cleaning the dash and my fingernail caught part of the dash and took a chunk out of it?!! They really dropped the ball on our dashes!

We've been browsing at LX's too. But the dash is in a terrible state. The truck still has under 100k on the clock but when you get inside of it you'd swear it has like 500k and is 30 years old.

I personally couldn't bring myself to own a Nissan product after working with them for over 10 years. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Nissan.
Old 03-11-16, 11:10 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

The dashboard replacements have hit the news:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/n...drivers/nqjFw/

Chip H.
Old 03-31-16, 12:19 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

I got "the call" today. Taking it in next week for my new dash!

Chip H.
Old 03-31-16, 01:51 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Mine is being done RIGHT NOW.
Old 04-01-16, 01:11 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

lucky for you. I've been calling Lexus of Mobile since I received my recall letter almost 2 years ago.

I called end of 2014 with a reply from their service department that "We're aware of the dash issue but Lexus hasn't issued an ETA when they'll start releasing dash boards for the repair and could be early 2015."

Called again Feb. 2015 and got "There is still no new on an eta on when Lexus will be release dash stock to the dealers etc and to please check back at the start of summer."

Called beginning of summer before I deployed and got "Still no word from Lexus on when they'll actually be able to do the repair as they have not yet released any dash's yet."

So before I left I made sure my wife was to call a few more times while I was gone as it's her vehicle.

She called mid Summer and was told could be in the fall to call back again.

She calls back in the fall and is told hopefully winter they'll be releasing dashes.

She calls in December to find out there's a waiting list to be put on now. So she gets put on it.

I call yesterday to see what the update is on it and the lady looked up the info and saw that my wife was put on in December and it will take a while since there's a bit of a line in front of me..

So I kindly ask when the "waiting list" was created and she tells me April of 2015. Wait what? I've been calling along with my wife for over a year to finally get put on a list that started in April to finally be added in on December???

Way to go Lexus of Mobile for true professionalism. (Coming from a fixed ops director.)
Old 04-01-16, 03:43 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

I would just go to a different dealer. I got mine done today and I have had the truck less then a month. They look at it, take a couple pictures, send it to Lexus and the dash is shipped. It's really no big deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Dashboard is Cracking