GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wife's GX09 with KDSS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 06:03 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wife's GX09 with KDSS

The KDSS really makes driving the GX more car like, it's one with all graphite roof rack which has the sports package.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
my wife's gx 470.pdf (192.4 KB, 681 views)

Last edited by LXGXSAM1; 11-12-11 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 12:52 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We have the similar rig in a 2005. It is sweet. I attribute the street handling to the beefiness of the KDSS front sway bar (almost 2" in diameter) - it looks more like a structural frame member than a sway bar at first glance! It's cool to have that rock-solid body roll resistence on the street, and know it will drop the sway bar for axle articulation off road. I have simulated that articulation with a floor jack ... the difference between sway bar connected and released is dramatic!
Old 11-13-11, 02:38 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i actually would rather have the 4runner setup than all this fancy suspension tricks for a utility truck. more expensive stuff to go wrong as the truck ages. i love the aftermarket lift kits at toytec. too bad i can't fit 'em on my gx.
Old 11-13-11, 05:39 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ROK
i actually would rather have the 4runner setup than all this fancy suspension tricks for a utility truck. more expensive stuff to go wrong as the truck ages. i love the aftermarket lift kits at toytec. too bad i can't fit 'em on my gx.
Get the lift kit built to T4R Limited and you should be good to go, unless you have a KDSS equipped truck... Then you are SOL...
Old 11-13-11, 06:16 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

i already checked - the air suspension makes it really complex. i think i'm fine with rollin stock for now. sorry to sidetrack the thread.
Old 11-13-11, 09:38 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven a GX without the KDSS and it was still a pleasant ride. I had to firm up the suspension a bit when I was driving through hills with lots of turns but the experence was still very good with a GX. I was just lucky to find this one for my wife after a few months of scouring the internet for a GX Sports Pack around California.
Old 11-14-11, 10:55 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
If most of us had "complexity anxiety disorder" we'd choose the simplest Toyota that could suit our needs - which in some cases would would be a base Tacoma or even a Corolla. The GX really isn't just a utility truck. It is a fancy, versatile vehicle that does a lot of things well. More power to you if you are willing to buy a GX and expend the money and effort to modify the suspension to your likes. But few people would do that just to avoid eventual suspension issues. Modders are more likely looking for lift, bigger tires, off-road clearance, etc. It's not a feasible option for many, many owners. I'm not sure if there is another production vehicle that can match a KDSS GX for the mix of city street manners and off-road ability. Sure, a well-modded GX, 4 Runner or whatever might spank it off-road in certain circumstances, but you're talking thousands in changes and significant sacrifices in on-road civility. Very few GX owners are going to head in that direction. Especially just to alleviate some vague future risk of maintenance or repair to a suspension item. I tip my hat to a really cool, lifted, tricked-out GX, but recognize it's not for me and most GX owners. There's a lot to be said for not messing with a good thing also. I won't be happy to face ride-height sensor, air bag or KDSS servo problems, but it's the most realistic option for a daily driver.
Old 11-14-11, 12:16 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zippinbye
If most of us had "complexity anxiety disorder" we'd choose the simplest Toyota that could suit our needs - which in some cases would would be a base Tacoma or even a Corolla. The GX really isn't just a utility truck. It is a fancy, versatile vehicle that does a lot of things well. More power to you if you are willing to buy a GX and expend the money and effort to modify the suspension to your likes. But few people would do that just to avoid eventual suspension issues. Modders are more likely looking for lift, bigger tires, off-road clearance, etc. It's not a feasible option for many, many owners. I'm not sure if there is another production vehicle that can match a KDSS GX for the mix of city street manners and off-road ability. Sure, a well-modded GX, 4 Runner or whatever might spank it off-road in certain circumstances, but you're talking thousands in changes and significant sacrifices in on-road civility. Very few GX owners are going to head in that direction. Especially just to alleviate some vague future risk of maintenance or repair to a suspension item. I tip my hat to a really cool, lifted, tricked-out GX, but recognize it's not for me and most GX owners. There's a lot to be said for not messing with a good thing also. I won't be happy to face ride-height sensor, air bag or KDSS servo problems, but it's the most realistic option for a daily driver.

Understood. I actually recently dumped my modified '11 Range Rover Sport Supercharged with its 510hp and fancy suspension doo-dads so I'm not foreign to the idea of having a great luxury vehicle that does a lot of things well like the GX. It's the best driving SUV I've ever owned, yet do not trust its long-run reliability like I do the GX KDSS or no KDSS. So I let it go.

I shouldn't have ever sold the 4Runner because it is so simple/durable and rides so nicely even with the aftermarket lift kit, but I just had to go through some superfluous sell/purchase cycles to come to my current combo which will stay the way it is for quite some time barring any unforeseen circumstances.

I am appreciating the sport/comfort modes, but like with any SUV, I find myself obeying the rules of the road as I'm rarely tempted to ask anything more of it along the road handling front simply because it is a big, heavy truck.

The GX is so overlooked. But we, here, know better.
Old 11-14-11, 02:14 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snhrph
Get the lift kit built to T4R Limited and you should be good to go, unless you have a KDSS equipped truck... Then you are SOL...
Says who? I have a lifted KDSS GX
Old 11-15-11, 05:38 AM
z0lt3c
Driver

Originally Posted by ROK
Standard shock absorbers only have an effective lifespan of 80k miles while a well maintained Lexus/Toyota air suspension system can easily last 150k+ miles. This is not the range rover system and it's reliability data is much better.

If you look through this GX forum there are not many posts about issues w/ reliability of the air suspension. The common issues with these trucks are more along the lines of driveshaft clunks and cracked dash boards.

If you do alot of towing you will come to appreciate the GX air system much more. The self leveling feature is invaluable and being able to lower the hitch, back under the trailer and then raise the hitch, has become quite a back saver.
Old 11-17-11, 10:16 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

OP...Beautiful Sport...enjoy...
Old 11-17-11, 10:45 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
Standard shock absorbers only have an effective lifespan of 80k miles while a well maintained Lexus/Toyota air suspension system can easily last 150k+ miles. This is not the range rover system and it's reliability data is much better.

If you look through this GX forum there are not many posts about issues w/ reliability of the air suspension. The common issues with these trucks are more along the lines of driveshaft clunks and cracked dash boards.

If you do alot of towing you will come to appreciate the GX air system much more. The self leveling feature is invaluable and being able to lower the hitch, back under the trailer and then raise the hitch, has become quite a back saver.
The toytec ultimate lift kit with high quality bilstein 5100 shocks is around $1200. the shocks themselves are cheap. i have no idea how much the gx air suspension costs let alone the KDSS pieces, but it's gotta be a hard thing to justify paying up for for the nominal "performance" gains.

i am glad to hear that toyota has the better data. i've been a toyota truck/suv fan for a long time now. what i notice though is that the range rover air suspension system is much faster in operation compared to the GX.

my '11 supercharged drove like no other truck out there. styling is unparalleled. the 510hp blown motor was smooth and let out a snarl when you wanted it. i could see why so many people pay extra to roll in it, but the depreciation on them is pretty sad along with its reliability record so the idea of long term ownership just doesn't sit well with most per the market price.

i could roll the GX for another 100K miles and i have great confidence it'll continue to deliver. love it. go toyota!

Last edited by ROK; 11-17-11 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-17-11, 08:22 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
The toytec ultimate lift kit with high quality bilstein 5100 shocks is around $1200. the shocks themselves are cheap. i have no idea how much the gx air suspension costs let alone the KDSS pieces, but it's gotta be a hard thing to justify paying up for for the nominal "performance" gains.

i am glad to hear that toyota has the better data. i've been a toyota truck/suv fan for a long time now. what i notice though is that the range rover air suspension system is much faster in operation compared to the GX.

my '11 supercharged drove like no other truck out there. styling is unparalleled. the 510hp blown motor was smooth and let out a snarl when you wanted it. i could see why so many people pay extra to roll in it, but the depreciation on them is pretty sad along with its reliability record so the idea of long term ownership just doesn't sit well with most per the market price.

i could roll the GX for another 100K miles and i have great confidence it'll continue to deliver. love it. go toyota!
Thats a nice looking Rover, But I think you made the right decision long term with the Lexus.