GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Old 02-24-13, 03:13 PM
Lumbergh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed new Chrome Exhaust tip.

The old tip was trashed and the clamp that holds it on was missing.

The PN (from Sewell) (Toyota PN - 4Runner/GX): PT18A-89090-EK

Also popped on OEM Lexus hitch plug, looks nice.

Washed and dried, vacuumed, checked fluids.

Last edited by Lumbergh; 02-24-13 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-25-13, 07:41 PM
lakewaylex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ericgx, any pics of the hellas lighting up the road compared to stock headlights?

how's the wind noise at highway speeds?

nice
Old 03-02-13, 12:57 PM
BFX
Driver School Candidate

Default Chrome bezels on 2007 GX taillight

Just installed chrome taillight bezels on wife's 2007 GX470...bought the truck 10 days ago.
Old 03-02-13, 01:13 PM
BFX
Driver School Candidate

Default Chrome taillight bezels on 2007 GX

Originally Posted by BFX
Just installed chrome taillight bezels on wife's 2007 GX470...bought the truck 10 days ago.
...adding image link.

http://postimage.org/bfx2460
Old 03-05-13, 05:02 PM
Lumbergh
Driver

Changed oil (first time for this truck since I bought it). Not too bad, certainly more complicated than just about any other car I have owned.

I really like the German way of the canister on the top of the engine with a filter element inside.

6.5Q Mobile 1 5W-30 and OEM Toyota filter.

The two fixed skidplates add time to a simple and routine job. Should have a hinged panel to access oil filter, after all the oil pan drain is accessible...seems like an engineering oversight IMHO.

Changed rear differential fluid (Mobile 1 75w-90). Easy enough.

Ran out of time to do the transfer case and front diff. Maybe tomorrow.

Reset maintenance indicator.

Sorry, no pics today, was working under a time crunch.

Last edited by Lumbergh; 03-05-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 07:47 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Got some work done on the GX last night, which is a big deal for me as I recently lost my garage and all my tools (and all my vehicles) in a fire at the end of January. Went over to a buddy's place and repaired the harness under the driver's seat so the SRS dash light doesn't come on anymore, and disabled the TPMS dash light. 2 things that were really bugging me off the list!

Also swapped the running board lights over to LED's that my buddy had kicking around, as I had a burnt out bulb on the passenger side, not sure if I like them or not. The light is bluish-white compared to the stock incandecent bulbs, looks good on their own, but doesn't match with the rest of the truck, and I don't want to convert everything on the truck over to LED, so this might be a temp change.

Also bought some Denso oil filters off him that he had no use for and fit this truck, at $4.25 each I couldn't go wrong.
Old 03-09-13, 08:37 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

so i finally couldn't take the clanking noise anymore - while doing the oil change i got under the main muffler as well with the intention of ripping the heatshield off, but i saw only one point was loose where the shield touched my muffler, so i got a big azz washer and tighten the point back to where it belonged and no more clanking... woohoo
Old 03-12-13, 12:10 AM
Plebeian
Driver School Candidate

Installed 6000k hids and 6000k day time running light strips. Makes my 06 a bit more modern while keeping it classy. What are your opinions on my upgrade?
What did you do to your GX TODAY?-81etysw.jpg
The following users liked this post:
MrJason (06-16-19)
Old 03-28-13, 08:54 AM
BFX
Driver School Candidate

Finally got the front, rear diff fluid and transfer case fluid replaced, bought 7 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-90 from Pep Boys and a local indy shop did it for $35. BTW they only used 6 quarts. Now the truck is caught up with all the pending maintenance.
Old 04-05-13, 11:52 AM
gwoneg
Driver School Candidate

Plebeian, those new lights do look nice. How difficult is the swap? Please pardon my ignorance, but to upgrade standard headlights to HID bulbs do you have to do anything besides swap out the bulbs?
Old 04-05-13, 12:28 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gwoneg
Plebeian, those new lights do look nice. How difficult is the swap? Please pardon my ignorance, but to upgrade standard headlights to HID bulbs do you have to do anything besides swap out the bulbs?
Because these vehicles already have projector headlights, all that is involved is changing the bulb and wiring in the ballasts for the HID bulbs, there are plug and play kits available and good install instructions in this forum.
Old 04-05-13, 01:26 PM
Vims
Rookie

Originally Posted by EricGX
4 Hella Luminator Compact HID
you need a train horn along with that :-) looks really cool :-)
Old 04-05-13, 03:30 PM
gwoneg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
Because these vehicles already have projector headlights, all that is involved is changing the bulb and wiring in the ballasts for the HID bulbs, there are plug and play kits available and good install instructions in this forum.
Got it, I'll look for those. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-13, 12:32 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Got the rear brakes changed today, Brembo blanks and Hawk LTS pads. The fronts looked nearly new, so I'll save those parts for later. Bled the system, feels much better! Threw on the Lexus centercaps I picked up for the FJC wheels as well. Lots more work to do in the next while to get this truck baselined now that it's finally warm out. I need to drill out the broken bolts for the front skidplate, change the diffs and TC fluids with synthetic, and instal the GROM bluetooth/iphone/USB audio input system I've had sitting around for the last month or so.

My new garage is finally started, hoping to have the pad poured by the end of next week!!!
Old 05-18-13, 06:32 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Got the rear brakes changed today, Brembo blanks and Hawk LTS pads. The fronts looked nearly new, so I'll save those parts for later. Bled the system, feels much better! Threw on the Lexus centercaps I picked up for the FJC wheels as well. Lots more work to do in the next while to get this truck baselined now that it's finally warm out. I need to drill out the broken bolts for the front skidplate, change the diffs and TC fluids with synthetic, and instal the GROM bluetooth/iphone/USB audio input system I've had sitting around for the last month or so.

My new garage is finally started, hoping to have the pad poured by the end of next week!!!
I think I'm going to bleed my brakes soon because the pedal feel is pretty spongy. Did you use the old pump the pedal technique? Pressure bleeder? Other?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?