GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Height control - what's the point?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 11:49 AM
prwdmd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Height control - what's the point?

Does anyone ever actually use the height control on their GX?

I've played with it a few times but besides that it doesn't seem to be that great of a feature. The self-leveling part of it is a great feature. But having the ability to raise or lower just the rear of the vehicle seems kind of pointless. Why didn't they make it front and rear? Rear-only height control doesn't help that much in off road situations. Perhaps its just for loading/unloading cargo...
Old 11-02-11, 12:58 PM
Drew903
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same thought. And when ever you change it, it goes back to normal after you reach a predetermined speed.
Old 11-02-11, 01:23 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Raise it to increase the clearance in order to drive over an obstacle (rocks, etc.)
Lower in order to clear an overhang, like branches, or getting into a garage.

Semi useful on the GX, since it's only the back (as the OP pointed out). Four corner height control is more complex and expensive (LX has it).
Old 11-02-11, 04:02 PM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

I found it to be quite useful when offroad, even though it's just the back. I had more clearance when driving through some rugged trails
Old 11-02-11, 05:27 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't it raise or lower vehicle about 1 inch? Does 1 inch make that must of a difference off-road?
Old 11-02-11, 05:49 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

This system is one of the best on the market. There is an approx 4" height difference between the low and high setting. You can lower the system to load and wash the vehicle. You can raise the system for off-roading, water crossings/flooding, and going over driveways.

Where this system really shines is when towing. When towing you can lower the vehicle and back up to the trailer and when lined up simply hit the high setting and the ball moves right up into the trailer hitch. You can also use the system to adjust the approach and departure angle of a trailer and the rear of the vehicle. If backing up a steep driveway you can raise the rear of the trailer by lowering the rear. Then after the rear of the trailer passes you can raise the rear so the hitch clears. It works very well!

No matter what weight (within recommendations) you carry and/or tow the system automatically levels the vehicle to maintain ride dynamics, on the fly. You can see and feel the ride difference even when there are just passengers in the vehicle. Even when empty, the ride is better (smoother with air springs instead of steel coils). In my opinion, it is worth its weight in gold (especially if you tow).

Koz
Old 11-02-11, 06:50 PM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Koz
Even when empty, the ride is better (smoother with air springs instead of steel coils). In my opinion, it is worth its weight in gold (especially if you tow). Koz
Only bummer is when it breaks it's very expensive to fix. That will be the day I go for the coils in the rear.
Old 11-03-11, 06:34 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by CruiserGX
Only bummer is when it breaks it's very expensive to fix. That will be the day I go for the coils in the rear.
If you were to install a comparable aftermarket system, it would cost more then $5K and it would still not be as integrated as the OEM. I've had this system for many years (since 05) and never had any problems.

Koz
Old 11-03-11, 07:15 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Approximately 4"? Thanks for the info.
Old 11-03-11, 07:38 AM
Trini470
Driver School Candidate

Good info,

I was wondering why it went back to "N" when i had the setting to "L" when i left the garage. Are there any aftermarket parts to make the front adjustable off the same system as well i.e. utilise the same type airbag system inside the existing front coil springs?

I`ve seen airbags used between semi eliptical and coil springs on pick-up trucks for the same load leveling functions. Considering these GXs share the front sustension with the Prado and the IMV hilux .. there must be someone out there..
Old 11-03-11, 07:54 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Trini470
Good info,

I was wondering why it went back to "N" when i had the setting to "L" when i left the garage. Are there any aftermarket parts to make the front adjustable off the same system as well i.e. utilise the same type airbag system inside the existing front coil springs?

I`ve seen airbags used between semi eliptical and coil springs on pick-up trucks for the same load leveling functions. Considering these GXs share the front sustension with the Prado and the IMV hilux .. there must be someone out there..
Read manual, prettty sure it goes back to N when you reach a certain speed, 14 MPH???
Old 11-03-11, 09:12 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Read manual, prettty sure it goes back to N when you reach a certain speed, 14 MPH???
Im think it's like 22 mph.

Koz
Old 11-03-11, 09:31 AM
prwdmd
Rookie

Originally Posted by Koz
This system is one of the best on the market. There is an approx 4" height difference between the low and high setting. You can lower the system to load and wash the vehicle. You can raise the system for off-roading, water crossings/flooding, and going over driveways.
Koz
Yeah... but raising just the rear several inches doesn't really do much for overall vehicle clearance. The entire vehicle has to go over whatever obstacle is in your way... not just the back. At the front is where vehicle clearance is more important... i.e. front tires going through a rut or even more important when doing a water crossing. The only reason to have more vehicle height for a water crossing is so you don't suck up water into your engine air intake... which is at the front.
Old 11-03-11, 09:54 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by prwdmd
Yeah... but raising just the rear several inches doesn't really do much for overall vehicle clearance. The entire vehicle has to go over whatever obstacle is in your way... not just the back. At the front is where vehicle clearance is more important... i.e. front tires going through a rut or even more important when doing a water crossing. The only reason to have more vehicle height for a water crossing is so you don't suck up water into your engine air intake... which is at the front.
Yes, having the front also rise would be better but you would be surprised how the rear being up helps compared to stock height. The lowest point is the rear pumpkin (this is where ground clearance is measured), which is not affected by lifting the body. The main purpose of the system is for carrying weight and towing. I can tell you first hand, it is worth its weight in gold. I would not want to tow without it.

Koz
Old 11-03-11, 08:00 PM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Koz
If you were to install a comparable aftermarket system, it would cost more then $5K and it would still not be as integrated as the OEM. I've had this system for many years (since 05) and never had any problems.
I think it would be cheaper to replace the air bags with coils, new shocks like say Iron Man or OME. I've been researching it and it's definitely cheaper, it's up to the individual if they want to keep it stock or go with the FJ Cruiser or 4Runner type suspension. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Height control - what's the point?