GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

KDSS worth it?

Old 10-01-11, 09:21 AM
diver110
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KDSS worth it?

Sorry for all the posts. In the market for a used GDX 470 and am trying to figure out all the angles.
Old 10-01-11, 07:05 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diver110
Sorry for all the posts. In the market for a used GDX 470 and am trying to figure out all the angles.
What's a GDX???

My truck does not have the KDSS, and therefore I don't miss it...

I drove the KDSS equipped GX, and it does drive differently compared to mine... That being said - in my opinion the benefit of having KDSS does NOT justify the premium that you pay for it...

So, my point is - if its there, then take it, but I would not go crazy looking for one...

Good luck!
Old 10-01-11, 08:12 PM
diver110
Driver School Candidate

Sorry about the extra letter. I too am wondering if it is worth it, though there may not be much of a premium in the used market. Not sure yet.
Old 10-01-11, 11:12 PM
Bob GX
Driver

KDSS makes sense if you're going to do real off road driving - provides much greater suspension travel when crawling over boulders and such. For use on paved roads or even dirt and gravel Forest Service roads the normal suspension is just fine. Seems like KDSS has the potential for expensive repairs if you don't really need it. But if I found a used GX in great condition with a fair price I'd go for it whether it had the KDSS or not. Check some sites for real off roaders and you will find some photos of KDSS in action
Old 10-02-11, 06:55 AM
diver110
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Bob. I have been hunting around for GX offroad info, but have not found anything yet.
Old 10-02-11, 07:53 AM
Bob GX
Driver

Here's a photo of a similar Toyota SUV with KDSS - note the extreme wheel travel as it's going over the rocks. That's what KDSS is a 'must have' for - but if you're not doing this kind of off road work, there's no special advantage over a GX with a regular suspension. It doesn't hurt anything to have the KDSS for regular driving - just added complexity, etc. I haven't seen people posting that the ride with KDSS is much different than without.

If you are planning to tow it might make a difference - I seem to recall that the KDSS suspension is not rated the same for towing. So if you're going to use your GX for towing and you want KDSS do some more research to make sure. My GX is 'without', so it's rated for 6,500 with the right hitch setup, etc

Good luck in your search!
Bob
Attached Thumbnails KDSS worth it?-photo.jpg  
Old 10-02-11, 09:08 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, awesome pic!
Old 10-03-11, 05:49 AM
diver110
Driver School Candidate

Amazing picture. No, I am not planning anything quite that extreme. Lexus claims it improves handling on pavement. Is that BS? Is it just the general complexity that makes it a possible expense item? Definitely easier to find one without KDSS.
Old 10-03-11, 09:50 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No BS. It improves both on-road and off-road performance. This feature is now standard on the GX460. KDSS is rare find on the GX470. Maybe look for a used GX460?
Old 10-03-11, 10:48 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by diver110
Amazing picture. No, I am not planning anything quite that extreme. Lexus claims it improves handling on pavement. Is that BS? Is it just the general complexity that makes it a possible expense item? Definitely easier to find one without KDSS.
I test drove a GX with and without the KDSS when I bought mine new in '07. Big enough difference in on-road handling that I wouldn't have bought one without it. Just take a look at the thickness of the swaybars; they're massive.

I honestly will never use the additional articulation you can get when KDSS "disconnects" the swaybar. It's the on-road benefits that mattered most to me.

I find it fascinating that other manufacturers are doing something similar these days (with active swaybars), from Toyota with the Land Cruiser (GX had it first), to BMW and Porsche with the Cayenne. Heck, Porsche's new 911 even offers active roll-bars. I haven't looked into it, but I'm guessing it's fairly similar in concept to the GX. Probably much faster to "react" (go from "locked" to "damped").
Old 10-03-11, 02:20 PM
diver110
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. It ain't easy to find on a first generation with KDSS, but there are some out there. There is one about 100 miles from me. I may make the trek. I am an old sports car nut, though I have not owned a high performance car in a while. To show how far I have fallen, I am driving a Ford Escape. (Maybe 6 years ago I had a BMW 5 series sport model. There was a Porsche along the way, some Datsun Z's to date myself) But I got into driving into nature, and wanted something on a sturdier chassis, though Saturday the Escape did pretty well going up a rocky, rutted, dirt road in So. Cal. Now, if I could have my cake (going off road) and eat it too (good on pavement preformance), that would be better still.
Old 10-03-11, 09:38 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default on road handling is the reason to buy

I have it on my 2006. It certainly makes a difference on the road. It is all about thicknes of the swaybars. I have been in one situation where it disconnected in off roading. I just don't do any hardcore off road stuff. . If there was an option I would never buy a vehicle without it. It makes the GX a little bit sporting.

The GX needs KDSS but it doesn't make it a sports car. Just got back last night from 400 miles of two lane roads on the Oregon and Washington coast in our Audi A6 with its upgraded suspension. fo shocks, swaybars and tires. Then jumped in the Lexus this morning. Then you realize the GX is not a handling machine. If you value handling try to find the KDSS equipped car. I know it is not easy but it does change the vehicle somewhat.
Old 10-04-11, 09:25 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aljodoro
I have it on my 2006. It certainly makes a difference on the road. It is all about thicknes of the swaybars. I have been in one situation where it disconnected in off roading. I just don't do any hardcore off road stuff. . If there was an option I would never buy a vehicle without it. It makes the GX a little bit sporting.

The GX needs KDSS but it doesn't make it a sports car. Just got back last night from 400 miles of two lane roads on the Oregon and Washington coast in our Audi A6 with its upgraded suspension. fo shocks, swaybars and tires. Then jumped in the Lexus this morning. Then you realize the GX is not a handling machine. If you value handling try to find the KDSS equipped car. I know it is not easy but it does change the vehicle somewhat.
+1

I wasn't suggesting KDSS turns the GX into anything remotely sporting. Compare it to a decent unibody ute and it loses when it comes to handling, much less a decent sedan/wagon.
But, KDSS *does* give the GX some much needed composure in the corners. Makes it feel a lot less top-heavy.
Old 10-04-11, 09:54 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wasn't trying to dispute the statement "sporty"

The KDSS certainly adds a sporty flair to the KDSS. A GX with KDSS is significantly more sporty than a non-KDSS. The huge swaybar of the KDSS flattens out the cornering of the vehicle. On the scale of non to kDSS equippws the vehicle is much more sporty. Relative to a well sorted out car it is less sporty. Compared to some cars it would be considered to be well - akin to a camel. That said, I really enjoy mine in all conditions. It is competent in all areas..,
Old 10-05-11, 10:22 AM
diver110
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again. I know that a GX will never be a Porsche. But I prefer a better handling car to a poorer handling one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KDSS worth it?