GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Sat Radio Activation Question

Old 09-25-11, 08:54 PM
mbmcdermot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat Radio Activation Question

Quick Question Reguarding Satellite Radio Activation.

My grandmother has a 2008 GX470 that she bought used. She has tried several times time to activate the radio with no luck. This weekend I told her to bring it over and I would take a look. I have installed and activated several satellite radios so I am familiar with the process. I turned the truck on and pressed the AM-SAT button in an attempt to bring up the activation channel. Well the radio would only go to AM, it acts like there is not satellite radio installed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what the problem could be or maybe some activation instructions for this truck. Thanks, Mike
Old 09-26-11, 08:16 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

something tells me that it doesn't have the XM unit installed if it doesn't show.

click this, read the .pdf attached and see if it say "NCON" for XM....i can pretty much guarantee you that it does

Last edited by LZMF1; 09-28-11 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 07:26 PM
mbmcdermot
Driver School Candidate

LZM thanks for the response. I am assuming the navigation screen would need to be showing the satelite radio page when entering the diagnostic mode. Is this correct?

The unit will not display a satelite radio source, when I press the AM-SAT button it will only display the AM band page

Is there a function where I can enter the VIN over the internet and seee if this truck was equipped with satellite radio? I just assumed it was since it had the SAT button on the head unit
Old 09-27-11, 09:45 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mbmcdermot
LZM thanks for the response. I am assuming the navigation screen would need to be showing the satelite radio page when entering the diagnostic mode. Is this correct?

The unit will not display a satelite radio source, when I press the AM-SAT button it will only display the AM band page

Is there a function where I can enter the VIN over the internet and seee if this truck was equipped with satellite radio? I just assumed it was since it had the SAT button on the head unit
I have a '08 as well which does nothing other than stay on AM when hitting the AM/SAT button. I had the VIN checked at the dealer and my GX did not have the Satellite module per the VIN lookup. It would be pretty expensive to add so I decided to just get XM Online and connect my iPhone to the accessory plug. Works great and is much cheaper than having another radio on my account (my other car has XM built in).
Old 09-28-11, 12:54 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

as you can see, from my picture i have XM installed...when i got my GX it had sirius .....i had and was very used to XM. i went through the trouble of removing the sirius unit and installing a VAIS XM unit and now they're one big happy company! oddly enough though my cd changer in the glove box has never worked! it gets power but in the picture it says there is no cd player....hence the "NCON" in the red block. i had read somewhere that aftermarket sirius installs would do that....unfortunately i cannot find a way to reverse it. i'd love to use the cd changer but i still have yet to find a fix.
Attached Thumbnails Sat Radio Activation Question-diagnostics-screen.jpg  
Old 09-28-11, 08:22 PM
mbmcdermot
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys looks like I will have to do some research on this xm module mentioned above.
Old 09-29-11, 05:56 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mbmcdermot
Thanks guys looks like I will have to do some research on this xm module mentioned above.
look into the VAIStech.com products. They're pricey but worth every penny and their costomer service is exemplary!