GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 door lock actuator motor repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-15, 06:16 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Ferg, that motor # you listed is the round shaft. did the OEM motor have a flat side?
Old 11-09-15, 09:12 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota Lexus GX470 door lock actuator motor repair

Originally Posted by theferg
Just finished replacing the door lock motor for the actuator in the back cargo door on my 2005 GX470. Out of all the threads and write-ups I found on the nets, this one was the most helpful so I had to join up and say thanks.

-Ferg
You're very welcome Ferg! I'm glad my post was helpful to at least few people.
It's over 4 years since I done the actuators and they all still work with the original motors in them, never had to open one up since and they are used daily multiple times.
Car feels and performs great with over 303K miles on the clock!
Bernard
Old 01-02-16, 10:12 AM
GreatHim
Rookie

having this issue. my back door is stuck in the lock position... so i just have to pull out the motor and replace it? now to just get the door to open...
Old 11-27-16, 12:39 PM
sldrozd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 GX470 and need to fix the right rear door lock actuator. Cant seem to get the assembly out of the door with window tracks in place, do I have to remove the window to get the door latch/actuator assembly out?
Old 12-01-16, 08:29 AM
vr4/sc400
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sldrozd
I have a 2006 GX470 and need to fix the right rear door lock actuator. Cant seem to get the assembly out of the door with window tracks in place, do I have to remove the window to get the door latch/actuator assembly out?
No, just make sure your window is up. Remove the lower bolt holding the window track onto the door frame. Now the window track can move out of the way of the actuator.

Lenny
The following users liked this post:
sldrozd (01-17-17)
Old 01-23-17, 06:53 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry to bump a 6 year old thread. Really great info here. Only problem is, mine's messed up in the rear passenger door and not the tail gate. Been trying to pop out the lock assembly for a while now, but the window support beam is in the way and it won't fit however I try. Any idea how to get it out? TIA!
Old 01-30-17, 04:57 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

You should find the answer in two previous posts to your's. Loosen up the window track and move it away to get room for lock assembly removal/installation. Good luck, mbenz80
Old 01-30-17, 12:13 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mbenz80
You should find the answer in two previous posts to your's. Loosen up the window track and move it away to get room for lock assembly removal/installation. Good luck, mbenz80
Gave it a try again today, was able to do the whole job in 45mins. So weird, the assembly couldn't fit last time, but was able to get out today no sweat. LOL And taking it apart took time to figure out too, but just gave the motor a quick clean as it wasn't so bad, and voila its working again. Gotta love CL with all this info! Thanks again!
Old 02-06-17, 04:53 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

I'm knocking on the wood, all of my locks are still working and I didn't have to touch single one of them for over 5 years now since the repair.
Old 02-10-17, 02:42 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed my rear passenger door actuator motor today. It was really tough getting that thing out of the door! I did figure out though if you put your hand in from the bottom opening in the door verses the top opening you can get it out better and in. There is a certain position the actuator needs to be in and then all of a sudden it will pull right out, but it takes a bit to figure out what that position is, and I cant tell you because you cant see inside there when it happens, but keep spinning it in different directions and trying to get it out. Also pull it out down low, not right across the door at the height its installed at if that makes sense. Drop it lower down in door and you can get it out easier and back in.
Be careful opening up the actuator, it was (I Thought) kind of complicated and then all of the sprockets, and worm shaft all fell out while i was trying to open it up! That was not good because I did not see how they were in there. I had to pull everything apart and basically put the puzzle back together, but I did it and it works again! By the way my new motor did not have a half flat shaft on it, and I could not get the worm shaft onto the new motor because it was a round shaft, so I ended up spraying my old motor all inside with cleaner and it worked again. A lot of dirt came out when I sprayed the electronic cleaner in there.
Last make sure you have your cables connected back up correctly as I closed everything up, and then my door handle was not working, had to go in and do it all over again, gees!
Anyway it can be done, just take your time!
Old 02-11-17, 03:58 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been waiting over a year for this answer. So the motors needed are the ones with the flat side,"D" shaped? Thank you
Old 02-11-17, 09:27 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they have a flat side on the shaft that sticks out that the worm goes on, they are not completely round on that shaft. The worm sprocket could be modified to fit with a dremmel I think, but I bet if you clean the old motor it will work again. Today now I have a wind noise coming form that door that I never have had before, thinking could be the window track bolt I took out, maybe it moved track slightly causing air leak now, going to take off door panel (again) and move that track over a bit. The plastic that is connected inside the door with a tar was not wanting to stay up again, but I cant believe I could hear wind noise from that, has to be that rack, any body else have this happen?
Old 10-22-19, 05:36 AM
kphagen
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the duplicate post - I managed to get my first reply with the wrong thread. Reposting to see if it gets seen by more folks familiar with the context.

Lots of hope here that this small beer repair will save me some big beer money! Thanks from the future for posting this so long ago!

One Q before I get going on it: Is there any type of 'daisy chaining' on the actuator wiring? 2006 GX 470

It could be a ridiculous coincidence, but it appears that when I've been able to fiddle enough with my passenger rear door lock enough to get it working, the rear hatch suddenly starts working.

Additionally, after fiddling with the passenger rear door (only) - all locks were working great for what I thought was a fairly rigorous test before putting the door panel back on. The door locks continued to work until I discovered (a few days later) that I was unable to roll down the rear passenger window from the master control. I rolled down the rear door window from the rear door control, and then the master control was working for windows again...BUT the rear door lock and hatch lock were no longer functioning by the controls.

Any insight one can provide would be appreciated - or I'll just chalk it up to crazy circumstantial coincidence and start cleaning all of them.

Thanks,
K

Last edited by kphagen; 10-24-19 at 09:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (10-22-19)
Old 11-03-19, 08:54 AM
kphagen
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI - Small snag, it may help others.

My 2006 GX 470 had an alternate part and the suggested replacement part will not work for me.

Rear Passenger Door Actuator, original part (shown with black cap) has a shorter shaft.
The replacement part (shown with white cap) has a longer D shaft, but the D does not extend to the base of the shaft - if it did I could just snip the shaft to fit.

replacement (white cap) original (black cap)

replacement (white cap) original (black cap)

UPDATE: I spun the shaft by hand and blasted it with some compressed air before putting it all back together. Rear Passenger door appears to have some extended life...borrowed time probably but I'll take it.

I'll tackle the Driver Door next in hopes that maybe it conforms to the part that I have on hand and what has been successful in this thread.
I've also got to tackle the (locked) hatch - so based on what I find in the Drivers Door will set the priority in tracking down a proper replacement motor for my vehicle.
https://www.eminebea.com/en/product/...dc/pan14.shtml

K

Last edited by kphagen; 11-03-19 at 08:57 AM. Reason: update.
Old 11-03-19, 12:28 PM
koda4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI
I purchased similar motors for my toyota sienna sliding door actuator. Looks exactly the same with short D shaft.
This is just another source to get the motors.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...s=pan14ee12aa1.

I hope this helps anyone needing these motors.

Quick Reply: GX470 door lock actuator motor repair