GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Navigation Interface/Appearence Update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 04:20 PM
Jafch1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation Interface/Appearence Update?

Hey guys,

The navigation maps I know are updatable but what about the actual interface?

03-04 Navigation systems have that brown background and no SAT or BT
05-06/07 Navigation has black background and is offset with some blue. Car has BT

08-09 - Navigation is blue/greenish has BT and SAT buttos. Also has AUX in put. 6cd changer was no longer magazine load.

My 03 and 04 GX470's both have the same interface and I wanted to see if I could update the interface itself to the 08-09 version. Would that require me to replace the Computer/Brain located under the passenger sear (below the DVD drive for the map)

Thanks!

Last edited by Jafch1; 05-27-11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-28-11, 07:37 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jafch1
Would that require me to replace the Computer/Brain located under the passenger sear (below the DVD drive for the map)

Thanks!
I think it's fairly safe to assume yes in order to get all the things you want. Probably need to update display/command unit in the dash as well along w/ a few other things ??? Might be cheaper to just go aftermkt at that point...
Old 05-29-11, 09:50 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Think the best route would be to just upgrade the entire system to aftermarket which have come a long ways. Done right they will look OEM, blow away any OEM setup, and can be tapped into the RES. I plan on doing the same shortly with ours as we decided to hold onto it for a few more years (new cars being poor investments and all). Upgrading to the new setup will be very expensive.
Old 06-13-11, 07:56 PM
Jafch1
Rookie

Well, im not at the point where I want to upgrade to aftermarket.. Im looking for that stock look.

I've been researching this matter and have found the following out:

-- The Navigation screen... 03/04 had a much less refined screen. 05+ had the "hi-def" front screen. The 05+ have more pixels in them, and give a much clearer look when reversing. (I witnessed this first hand with an 07 GX.)

-- The Control unit (the unit below the screen), has been updated for 07. 2003-06 had AM/FM/TAPE/DISC and TRAF. The 2007 had a refresh where the AM button is also the SAT and the DISC button also includes AUX. In addition to that the SEEK and DISK +/- have been moved above the volume and secondary ****. TRAF is now SCAN.

-- The CD changer is also different in the 2007+ models. Pre 07 has a 6 cd changer using a "cartridge" type load. 2007+ models have a regular front load fully automatic input.

-- The ECU (under the passenger seat), is also upgraded. 2005+ models have a new interface. The user interface is much refined compared to the 03/04 models. Bluetooth was also added, and the AUDIO section now has surround-sound in addition to ASL.
Old 06-13-11, 08:00 PM
Jafch1
Rookie

What I am looking to do is the following...

-- Upgrade first the Control unit. Im hoping that this will give me an extra wire harness to allow the AUX feature, which would give me iPod/MP3 abilities.

-- Upgrade the ECU to give me surround-sound, Bluetooth, and the more refined UI.

-- If my budget allows, upgrade the screen to get the HD look and feel.

-- The CD Changer isn't a big deal to me. Once my AUX feature is working, CD's will hardly be used in my rig.

** If anyone knows of someone looking to get rid of some of these parts, let me know. I will try to find a "salvaged/junked" GX470 online to get the parts from.

Keep you guys updated!