GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

ticking engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 07:46 PM
new2005GX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ticking engine

I'm not sure if I've just gotten used to the sound of the car or what but lately, it seems like the engine is ticking pretty loudly. It runs perfectly and I didn't think much of it until my friend commented on it. Sounds like it is coming from the drivers side (mainly).

Anyone else notice their engine ticking and if so (or not), any insight as to what the problem might be?
Old 04-12-11, 03:31 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine ticks, injectors. At least, that's what I think. All my Toyotas always have.
Old 04-13-11, 03:29 PM
jazilla
Driver School Candidate

Mine ticks. Started couple of months ago. Still don't know what it is.
Old 04-13-11, 07:50 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always had a tick. Sounds like a lifter sticking. Never hurt the way it runs, from what I can tell.
Old 04-13-11, 11:16 PM
SIERRAGX
Driver School Candidate

Does it ticks all the time ?,or only at cold start ?, or after warm up ?,does the tick increase w/ engine speed?
my 04 does that only at idle after warm up, had Lexus tech checked out, he said that is valve train noise, no harm to engine, and suggest that i can do the WT adjustment at 90K service, (currently 67K).
I change oil use to Penz oil syn Platium 5w30, the ticking went away !,all quiet now.
I previously used QS 10w-30 syn blend,Napa full syn 5-30,and other regular, and all ticked after warm up, not on cold start though.
Not sure we are talking about the same thing (ticking).
Old 04-14-11, 07:18 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by new2005GX
I'm not sure if I've just gotten used to the sound of the car or what but lately, it seems like the engine is ticking pretty loudly. It runs perfectly and I didn't think much of it until my friend commented on it. Sounds like it is coming from the drivers side (mainly).

Anyone else notice their engine ticking and if so (or not), any insight as to what the problem might be?
Exhaust manifold gasket. I had the same noise and the Dealership replaced the catalytic converter which is located up near the engine. I guess the engine pipe from the engine to the catalytic is all one piece. When you accelerate in ticks especially when on an on ramp with jersey barriers to deflect the sound. Without looking at it you would think lifters. Good luck, Oh by the way it was covered under a Lexus warranty even though I had an aftermarket warranty and 68k miles.
Old 04-16-11, 05:26 AM
new2005GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by SIERRAGX
Does it ticks all the time ?,or only at cold start ?, or after warm up ?,does the tick increase w/ engine speed?
my 04 does that only at idle after warm up, had Lexus tech checked out, he said that is valve train noise, no harm to engine, and suggest that i can do the WT adjustment at 90K service, (currently 67K).
I change oil use to Penz oil syn Platium 5w30, the ticking went away !,all quiet now.
I previously used QS 10w-30 syn blend,Napa full syn 5-30,and other regular, and all ticked after warm up, not on cold start though.
Not sure we are talking about the same thing (ticking).
It ticks all the time. I'm starting to think it is an exhaust leak. I don't know if there is any correlation or not but a month or so ago (before I noticed the ticking but again, I have no idea if it has always been there and I just didn't notice it) I took out my weather tech floor liner to clean it. When I put it back in, I inadvertently put it over the gas pedal so when I started the car, the engine revved to redline for about 2 seconds before I shut it off.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...milies/pat.gif

Do you think that would have been enough to cause a leak in the exhaust manifold/gasket?

How loud was your ticking? was it just noticeable or really loud (mine is kind of in the middle). as far as I can tell, it is only at idle and the engine runs like a top so I don't know what to think/do.
Old 04-16-11, 07:06 AM
SIERRAGX
Driver School Candidate

2 seconds at red line should not cause problem,especially your car is running fine, don't know much about the exhaust manifold leak.
But the owner manual does mentions the valve train noise ,and call for inspection of it (VT noise) on 60k or 90k service.
my gx's ticking is not noticeable when siting inside the car w/ car running, but standing outside I can hear it clearly, not very loud, like "tag tag tag tag .....".Again, it only does that on idle after warm up, give it some gas,the noise disappears.
The VT noise must be common on GX (at least on the early 03 and 04),that is why it's mentioned in the owner manual.the Lexus tech assured me my gx's engine is still very strong,nothing to worry about. and it runs great.
Old 04-17-11, 12:12 AM
kokohead
Driver School Candidate

You might want to check for radiator leak ...pink!
Old 04-17-11, 04:06 AM
new2005GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by kokohead
You might want to check for radiator leak ...pink!
Already replaced the radiator. Never had one that ticked though...
Old 04-17-11, 04:09 AM
new2005GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by SIERRAGX
2 seconds at red line should not cause problem,especially your car is running fine, don't know much about the exhaust manifold leak.
But the owner manual does mentions the valve train noise ,and call for inspection of it (VT noise) on 60k or 90k service.
my gx's ticking is not noticeable when siting inside the car w/ car running, but standing outside I can hear it clearly, not very loud, like "tag tag tag tag .....".Again, it only does that on idle after warm up, give it some gas,the noise disappears.
The VT noise must be common on GX (at least on the early 03 and 04),that is why it's mentioned in the owner manual.the Lexus tech assured me my gx's engine is still very strong,nothing to worry about. and it runs great.
Thanks!

Just found this in the manual "Inspect for excessive lifter noise and engine vibration
and adjust if necessary. A qualified technician should perform this operation.".

This seems like a pretty big job...or is it? You just need to remove the valve covers right? I guess your gaskets get changed which is good too.

Anyone ever attempt this or have any info on how to do it? I noticed the clearances are listed in the manual as well. Suppose I could be 100% sure it is not the exhaust before attempting this.
Old 04-17-11, 10:57 AM
zmw
Rookie

virtually every toyota i've owned had valve noise - 2J, 1U and 2U based anyway... The key is to listen for CHANGE not the noise itself - if you notice it's LOUDER or NEW then worry about it.
Old 04-19-11, 09:18 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad I am not the only one, mine ticks too. Its coming from right side under the glove compartment. First I thought it was AC compressor (because it started when my AC was one). It only ticks when the car is in motion. It would be interesting to find out what Mann777 thinks about this.
Old 02-15-12, 08:17 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

so anyone else has this same "tag tag tag" noise or ticking noise? - man i think i got a bad gx470 or something... it only happens when warming up and goes away afterwards
Old 02-15-12, 09:20 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Wow, you guys want to make me start mine up and listen. If you have a friend, with the hood open, and the engine running at start up, have them put a rag, or other, over the exhaust pipe for a couple of seconds. If it is an exhaust gasket leak, it will be louder (more back pressure).

If the noise goes away after about two or three minutes, sounds like valve trane. It is colder now and you may have some higher mileage? Not sure I would worry about it, if it goes away after warm up.

I run synethic, 5 w 30 Toyota/ Mobil 1. I usually on cold days, let it run for a full minute or more, before putting it in gear. Summer, about 30 seconds.

Last edited by Ancient; 02-15-12 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: ticking engine