GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Trade in IS and Highlander for GX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 09:16 PM
huntgar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in IS and Highlander for GX?

So, my parents have a White 2007 GX 470 that they are planning to sell, and they asked if I would be interested in buying it before they go sell it to someone else. They would be offering me a pretty good deal, $10k off of the $35k they would be asking and it only has 18k miles on it. I currently have a 2008 IS 350 and a 2010 Highlander. I use my Highlander more than the IS, but I like having the IS as something that is "fun" to drive. The Highlander is not "fun" to drive, it's just convenient.

So my question is, is the GX "fun" to drive? I've driven it a few times but only with one of my parents in the car, so I really couldn't test it out or anything. I understand that it's an SUV and that it's fun in the way of off-roading and stuff, but is it at all like "street fun" or sporty?

Also, does it make sense to buy it? It's not so much a money issue, I mean I could keep the IS and sell the Highlander if I really wanted to keep it, but I was kind of hoping if I sold both and just had one vehicle, I would save on insurance, maintenance, etc.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any advice or ideas! I really appreciate it!
Old 02-26-11, 09:07 AM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Well,

The GX is not going to even come close to the fun and handing of the IS. I had the IS250 AWD when I lived in Colorado and it's fun to toss in turns and race around. With the IS350, that fun is times ten at least. The Highlander, uh YAWN.

I don't know that the GX will be the car for you. Of course, I would say yes but I'm 35 with kids. the GX is smooth, I enjoy the crap out of driving mine. When I was younger I ended up with a reckless driving ticket so I stuck to slow vehicles for a long time.

I'd ask your parents if you can take the GX for a few days and do what you do and see if it fits. Yeah, insurance on one car would be far less than two and I can only assume the IS insurance is steep!

Good luck with your choice, normally I would say go for it, but in your case, depends. It's a GREAT deal you won't see again but is it right???? Hmmm...
Old 02-26-11, 12:07 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If your looking to save on maint and insurance sounds like a good deal. I would take the GX over a highlander in a hearbeat.

If the savings are not that important to you, don't do it, you have the best of both worlds (like me) a fun late model sports sedan and a nice new SUV for carrying stuff, bad weather etc. The GX is a great truck, but I would not say that it is necessarily "fun" to drive, well unless of course I am cruising the sandy beaches
Old 02-26-11, 05:06 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

Default Go with the GX

I have a 2004 Lexus GX 470 and it is by far the best car I have even owned and believe me I owned more than 20 car so far . It is powerfull, luxurious , and you would never feel you are driving an SUV. If you do not want it I would buy it for the same price you would from your parents. If they give me the same deal I am ready to buy it now. Like I said , I would advice you to take it with no questions or doubts.
Old 02-26-11, 08:01 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No, the GX isn't fun to drive. It's probably on par with the Highlander; more appliance than anything else.

You don't say how many miles are on your IS or Highlander. If the 18k mi on the GX is considerably less, I think the GX "trade" is more appealing.
Old 02-27-11, 04:58 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll give you my twin turbo Aristo swapped GS if you can hook me up with family discount pricing on the GX. I'm looking for one and live in MD too.
Old 02-27-11, 06:07 PM
huntgar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for all the thoughts.

The IS has 25k and the Highlander only has 15k.

I worked out with my parents to use the GX this week and test it out! I'll let you guys know on what I think!

Thanks!
Old 02-27-11, 07:25 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Can you sell your '10 Highlander for what you'll pay for the '07 GX? That would make for an interesting "free" swap, but you're probably losing out in the warranty department.

The '10 Highlander has plenty of warranty left whereas the '07 GX is just about out of warranty. If warranty is a big deal, you can get the GX an extended Lexus / Toyota warranty for $1-2K (way less than buying it from your local stealership) assuming it's still under the factory warranty. Search the forum for details.

Is the Highlander loaded or a stripper or somewhere in between? I think the Limited have nearly the same features as the GX (heated a/c, nav, rear camera, etc) plus keyless start / stop.

If you sell your IS, I think you'll miss it a bunch even if you don't drive it all that much.

I'm eager to read your verdict. Happy motoring!
Old 02-28-11, 05:13 PM
huntgar
Driver School Candidate

So,
Today was the first day of the test! I do like how it rides and the seats are more comfy than the Highlander. Seriously at least 10 people between home, work, and school asked about it or commented on it. Also should I be concerned about it being broken into? Is it going to be safe like when I go into the city and stuff?

Also the Highlander is fully loaded, and KBB values it at $40,920 private party value. Whether that is realistic or not, I don't know, but i know I can definitely sell it for more than what I would pay for the GX.
Old 03-01-11, 12:21 PM
motoguci
Driver

I sold my loaded is350 (fab everything) to a gx470 sport... By no means is it as fun to drive as the IS. However I do enjoy not having to snake my way over speed bumps. Overall I'm very happy with it. GL
Old 03-01-11, 06:41 PM
Bob GX
Driver

'Fun to drive' is hard to define - a GX wouldn't have the 'sporty' handling like an IS. However, a few weeks ago I suddenly had a deer appear right in front of my GX - had to do an emergency lane change & panic braking to try and miss it. I was amazed by how well the GX handled even tho' it's not 'sporty' - remarkable handling for a heavy SUV with a high center of gravity.

Oh - i did miss the deer - GX took the emergency handling in stride - may not be as boring a ride as it seems on the surface
Old 03-02-11, 08:50 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i think they are two completely different animals. the gx is an appliance in the same way my prius is an appliance. they're each good at different things. in the snow/muck or hauling kids around, i prefer the gx but if i'm commuting 50 miles each way to work, i'd rather park my butt in the prius. we're sneaking up on 100,000 miles with our '03 GX and it's been very reliable over the years.

the gx vs. the is? it's like apples and oranges.
Old 03-02-11, 09:37 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

And the Highlander Limited is arguably better optioned than a GX. I don't understand the OP's desire to trade the newer '10 Highlander Limited for an older '07 GX.
Old 03-02-11, 09:39 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

If it's about saving money, sell the infrequently used second car.
Old 03-02-11, 12:11 PM
huntgar
Driver School Candidate

Ok,
So after just two and a half days of driving I've decided I'm just going to stick with what I have. I like the GX, but it's a little big for my taste, and I kind of feel like it lumbers around a bit. I drove my IS to work today and I decided I really don't want to give it up, I really do enjoy it, and I couldn't justify selling a practically brand new vehicle for a used one, and if I was going to, I should find something that has better gas mileage considering the way gas is going up again. Anyways, thanks everyone for the advice! It helped a lot in my decision!

Quick Reply: Trade in IS and Highlander for GX?