GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

what's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 01:35 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what's it worth?

I love our GX we purchased in the summer but the size is a little small for us. We came from a Seqouia and my wife still misses all the room for kids & dogs (we have 2 kids and 2 very large dogs....often 3+ kids when carpooling). We haven't even tried to fit the dogs in there yet. Therefore, I am giving some thought to selling it and going with another Sequoia or Landcruiser/LX470. I know the Lexus is a much better vehicle but I am just going on what our actual needs are and those are the only 2 other vehicles we would even consider.

Anyway.....sorry for the long speech. Here is the basics on our GX and I was hoping to get some good ideas from everyone.

2004 GX 470 with NAV, Backup Camera and ML sound
Ash Blue Mica with Tan leather
95k miles (complete 90k service was completed at 89k)
New rotors & front brakes
BRAND NEW Michelin LTX MS/2's
NC car always (no rust/salt etc.)
Previous owner was CPO
NON-smoker
No tow package
Car is really in exceptional condition inside and out & not even a rattle anywhere

Any ideas on a fair value? I see numbers all over the place for this car in the South. Lexus dealers are outrageous on prices as a general rule.

We may not go through with it because it is such a great vehicle but the size is tough for our needs.

Thank you everyone for the help!
Old 02-01-11, 04:15 PM
new2005GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by easgx470
I love our GX we purchased in the summer but the size is a little small for us. We came from a Seqouia and my wife still misses all the room for kids & dogs (we have 2 kids and 2 very large dogs....often 3+ kids when carpooling). We haven't even tried to fit the dogs in there yet. Therefore, I am giving some thought to selling it and going with another Sequoia or Landcruiser/LX470. I know the Lexus is a much better vehicle but I am just going on what our actual needs are and those are the only 2 other vehicles we would even consider.

Anyway.....sorry for the long speech. Here is the basics on our GX and I was hoping to get some good ideas from everyone.

2004 GX 470 with NAV, Backup Camera and ML sound
Ash Blue Mica with Tan leather
95k miles (complete 90k service was completed at 89k)
New rotors & front brakes
BRAND NEW Michelin LTX MS/2's
NC car always (no rust/salt etc.)
Previous owner was CPO
NON-smoker
No tow package
Car is really in exceptional condition inside and out & not even a rattle anywhere

Any ideas on a fair value? I see numbers all over the place for this car in the South. Lexus dealers are outrageous on prices as a general rule.

We may not go through with it because it is such a great vehicle but the size is tough for our needs.

Thank you everyone for the help!
Sorry to break the news to you but it is only worth ~10K. Please let me know where we can meet as I have cash.

Hahahaha, j/k. I did a LOT of searching before I bought mine, granted I paid too much but I was in a bit of a bind and there was nothing else like it available in my area.

I'd say as a private party, you could sell it pretty quickly at ~17K. There are a bunch for sale at ~20K but people get spooked at 100K for some reason.

Forget about the dealer - they will rob you blind at ~13-14K.
Old 02-01-11, 04:37 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

And you already have a buyer here on the forum:

Josh wants a GX.
Old 02-01-11, 04:53 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

10k is to high for a forum member, so you can have it for 8k......

Thanks for the help on the pricing. Seems like 18-19k would work well in NC.

As for Josh, I think I am just a tad past the 40k mile range. I never planned on buying a high mileage GX but it was mine was nicer than any low mileage 06-07 models I found so I went ahead. Plus my wife really needed a car pretty quick. We just got out of a Lemon XC90 that Volvo corporate refunded our money on, so any high mileage Lexus was a better bet than another new or low mileage Volvo!
Old 02-02-11, 07:40 AM
NewMex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, we just bought our GX 470 from a used car lot. We paid $18k. It's a late year 2004 with the backup camera and KDSS as well as all other options but the Lexus Link. Just had it at the Toyota service center and it came back with a clear bill of health. I had been watching this one for some time, to replace our Landcruiser. I was in no rush to buy, so I had the upper hand. This GX 470 was priced at $23k when it first showed up. After a month the price started dropping. When it hit $19k I started getting serious about it. This is not a CPO and it has 104k. They can be had for less for sure...but this one was equipped the way I wanted it. As was motioned in a previous post, 100k and above seems to be where most people shy away. I think your price range is right in check with the market, year and milage.
Old 02-02-11, 09:31 AM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Thank you NewMex. Based on the NC market and the condition I really think 19k would be a good mark with the expensive & complete 90k service done as well as brand new Michelins. However, I am having serious second thoughts of letting the vehicle go. Other than size, it is perfect in every other way and the previous owner really took exceptional care of it. It was so nice that I originally wouldn't consider anything over 50k miles regardless of price but I test drove this one on a whim because of the condition.....glad I did.

I think I may need to think about this a little more. Especially after investing several thousand in the recent service & tires. Too be completely honest we were only considering a Landcruiser or LX470 originally. However, the sporty drive of the GX470 (maybe not sporty but fun/light on it's feet is a better description) changed our mine. Plus we couldn't find the perfect Landcruiser that was properly maintained & that was not WAY over priced.

Enjoy your new GX and thanks for the help!
Old 02-02-11, 12:52 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say between 20k and 21 leave some room for negotiating.
Honestly I had the same thoughts too, except I have 1 kid, but I have a lot of camping gear that would not fit. First of all LX is almost the same size as GX. If you compare cubic feet. But its normally 5K or 7k more. As far as Sequioa nothing against Toyota, I love Toyota I just bought fully loaded Camry SE. But Toyota is not the same as Lexus, its not as solid, quiet and soft as lexus. All the new Toyota's are built in Kentucky and Texas. WHat I did I bought Sears brand X cargo carrier that mounts on the roof. Its the biggest you can get for less $. Or you can build offroad trailer.
http://www.wildyoats.com/off_road_trailer_build.htm
Old 02-02-11, 04:54 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 03 a few month ago for $18K from a dealer, with full Lexus service records and only 77,000 mi. They also had it for a while even though it was the cheapest GX in Canada. So selling a car like this for 20-21K might be difficult. A few dealers here still have a few 04 cars for sale for 21K and they had it for a long, long time. Another problem is that people can still finance and lease a used GX from a dealer. So if you intend to sell it privately your price has to be competitive, as you are unlikely to provide financing or lease options. So, no offence, but $15-$16 should be a fast sale.