GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air suspension? Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 12:15 AM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air suspension? Shocks?

Not sure what is the cause of this, but my wife and I find that unless the car is set to drive in sports mode and the nub has to be turned all the way to the right (shock setting), we get almost dizzy driving the car. Not sure if the car sways more or bounces or there is something wrong with the shocks? But the only drivable comfort seems we can get only while driving during when the last sports shock setting is engaged. But at that time the car is very stiff and takes hard hits on uneven payment. Is it just us? Or the shocks are shot, or it’s a part of air suspension? BTW , the car is 2003
Old 01-18-11, 06:03 AM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles are you sitting on? It might be that your shocks are weak and need replacing. The Sport setting is the most stiff so that may be compensating.

Either that, or you both are holding your breath too long and feeling dizzy.
Old 01-22-11, 10:57 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Globalinx
Not sure what is the cause of this, but my wife and I find that unless the car is set to drive in sports mode and the nub has to be turned all the way to the right (shock setting), we get almost dizzy driving the car. Not sure if the car sways more or bounces or there is something wrong with the shocks? But the only drivable comfort seems we can get only while driving during when the last sports shock setting is engaged. But at that time the car is very stiff and takes hard hits on uneven payment. Is it just us? Or the shocks are shot, or it’s a part of air suspension? BTW , the car is 2003
My guess is your rear ride height is too low, either due to mis-adjustment or failed height sensors. This means you are too close to "bottoming" on your bump-stops in the rear -- and it sounds like that's what is happening. The Sport mode provides just enough damping to keep you off of the bump-stops on the compression stroke.

yes, a stiffer/newer shock would help, but I'd recommend checking your rear ride height as well.
Old 01-23-11, 10:51 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
My guess is your rear ride height is too low, either due to mis-adjustment or failed height sensors. This means you are too close to "bottoming" on your bump-stops in the rear -- and it sounds like that's what is happening. The Sport mode provides just enough damping to keep you off of the bump-stops on the compression stroke.

yes, a stiffer/newer shock would help, but I'd recommend checking your rear ride height as well.
Won't a faulty height sensor cause something to light up on a dash? The car seems to go up and down with no problems and looks levelled. I’ll be at Lexus Dealership soon, and try to check things out.
Old 01-24-11, 08:14 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Globalinx
Won't a faulty height sensor cause something to light up on a dash? The car seems to go up and down with no problems and looks levelled. I’ll be at Lexus Dealership soon, and try to check things out.
Ive always had a harsh ride and had it checked out. Was told everything was within normal limits. I expected a more comfortable ride over slight bumps on the highway. Seems to bottom out too easily. I was also told to use the middle setting as this is where the suspension automatically adapts to the road. Is this true? I have an aftermarket warranty and believe it probably wouldn't be covered. I'll have to take a different GX for a test drive and see how it feels in comparison.
Old 02-05-11, 08:22 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Ive always had a harsh ride and had it checked out. Was told everything was within normal limits. I expected a more comfortable ride over slight bumps on the highway. Seems to bottom out too easily. I was also told to use the middle setting as this is where the suspension automatically adapts to the road. Is this true? I have an aftermarket warranty and believe it probably wouldn't be covered. I'll have to take a different GX for a test drive and see how it feels in comparison.
Please let us know if anything is resolved. Mine has the same intermittent bottoming out.
Old 02-07-11, 08:08 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Currently the best replacements for the GX suspension shocks are the Bilsteins 5100 with FJ springs which would attain a height of 1-2" and the Height Controls Sensors can be tie wrapped and Dummy plugged and deactivated. With all these replacements then the Height Control would not work. This is best alternative for replacements.
Old 02-08-11, 07:05 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mann777
Currently the best replacements for the GX suspension shocks are the Bilsteins 5100 with FJ springs which would attain a height of 1-2" and the Height Controls Sensors can be tie wrapped and Dummy plugged and deactivated. With all these replacements then the Height Control would not work. This is best alternative for replacements.
Hey man777, do you think it would be ok to just change the shocks to bilsteins?
Old 02-08-11, 08:58 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bilstein replacements

Has anyone done this swiltch on a GX470. I am wondering what the parts list is, cost and ride compared to stock. I can well imagine this could cost close to the OEM replacments - but what you get is a lifetime upgrade with adjustability. Anyone have more info on this swap? THanks Mann.
Old 02-08-11, 09:03 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aljodoro
Has anyone done this swiltch on a GX470. I am wondering what the parts list is, cost and ride compared to stock. I can well imagine this could cost close to the OEM replacments - but what you get is a lifetime upgrade with adjustability. Anyone have more info on this swap? THanks Mann.
just looked up bilstein 5100's and they are $80 each and still need to look up fj springs. Wondering about how the ride will be too. It would be consistent though.
Old 02-08-11, 12:48 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Um...why not just try some new shocks? Remember the golden rule... KISS.

Keep it simple stupid.

I'm not calling you stupid by any stretch, but why not try the least expensive, most simple solution and move from there? (simple and stupid)

Replacing shocks, springs, disabling systems seems, well, asinine. Somehow I'm not buying that throwing in a spring from an FJ Cruiser adding some Bilstiens, disabling systems is the best solution for a Lexus ride.

Of course the FJ IS in fact a plush ride.

Just sayin.
Old 02-08-11, 02:06 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BLUEGXLVCR
Um...why not just try some new shocks? Remember the golden rule... KISS.

Keep it simple stupid.

I'm not calling you stupid by any stretch, but why not try the least expensive, most simple solution and move from there? (simple and stupid)

Replacing shocks, springs, disabling systems seems, well, asinine. Somehow I'm not buying that throwing in a spring from an FJ Cruiser adding some Bilstiens, disabling systems is the best solution for a Lexus ride.

Of course the FJ IS in fact a plush ride.

Just sayin.
simplest thing would be the shocks. Prados, fj's and 4runner's dont have air ride (most of them)
Old 02-08-11, 02:58 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
simplest thing would be the shocks. Prados, fj's and 4runner's dont have air ride (most of them)
not a chance. you are suggesting a custom solution to fix a problem that is a wear item and does have an end of service.

IMHO, the original poster would be better served on multiple vectors by replacing the factory shocks - this would be a better ride, retain factory damping adjustment, retain factory air suspension and thus levelling, and finally this would require far less research, shop time and would not result in the devaluation of the vehicle due to such a drastic loss of features/functionality.
Old 02-08-11, 04:08 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BlairC
not a chance. you are suggesting a custom solution to fix a problem that is a wear item and does have an end of service.

IMHO, the original poster would be better served on multiple vectors by replacing the factory shocks - this would be a better ride, retain factory damping adjustment, retain factory air suspension and thus levelling, and finally this would require far less research, shop time and would not result in the devaluation of the vehicle due to such a drastic loss of features/functionality.
You're right, if money is no option. Why not just revert to the non air setup which is the same as in the 4runner,prado or fj? It would definitely not be as smooth but much better than our ride is now.
Old 02-08-11, 04:13 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I had a link for the air replacement kit but lost it. It was basically springs and shocks but cheap quality unlike bilstein/fj setup.

Quick Reply: Air suspension? Shocks?