GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Timing Belt Replacement Cost?

Old 01-17-11, 09:34 PM
grda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Replacement Cost?

I have a 2004 GX 470 with 98K miles. Looking to do a timing belt change and wanted to get an idea what you guys paid to have it done. I also heard you can get it done at a Toyota dealership for less cost. Is this also true?
Old 01-17-11, 09:49 PM
tim003
Driver School Candidate

I was getting an oil change for my GX at the Toyota dealer a couple of weeks ago, and they was quoted me for $750 for the labor if I providing the parts.

To the people that already have the timing belt job done, what else did you replace beside the TB, WP, and accessory belts? Or Anybody has any recommendations what need to be replace?
Old 01-18-11, 08:30 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Hope this helps, This is pretty same for most GX model until the 2 Gen arrived.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus Service Schedule.pdf (9.6 KB, 7393 views)
Old 01-18-11, 09:13 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

i price the belt and water pump at a toyota dealer, got his best price of 950, asked my lexus dealer if he wanted to match it...he did and he also threw in squirting in some lube in the drive line shaft (big deal)...not a bad price for belt pump, parts labor etc.
Old 01-18-11, 09:21 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

local dealer wanted ~ $1350 for timing belt / 90k which only included inspection of WP (would be an add'l $400 if WP replaced). I'm old school and wanted WP done at same time (don't want to pay for TB again if/when WP goes...). Luckily, I have a good indy who did all of the 90k/timing belt, tensioners, xfer cases, brake fluid, etc. and replaced the WP for $1250. Labor was $570, balance being parts...

Definitely worthwhile to price this job around
Old 01-18-11, 10:27 AM
SIERRAGX
Driver School Candidate

My 04 GX's water pump started to leak a bit a few months ago at 67k, kind of disappointed,but it's over 7 years, so i ordered TB,WP,thermostat,PCV, TB tentioner from Sewell, and picked up 3 gallons of super long life coolant (super expensive at $28 per gl) from local Toyota dealer.parts cost about $400, and paid an experient mechanic $260 to work at my home garage,about 5 hrs job .He did a good job. not bad for all that.
i forgot to order the fan belt, oh well,will do that soon with new spark plugs,then the car will be good for the another 100k miles.
Old 01-19-11, 11:27 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny this post should come up today. The local Lexus dealer (Danvers, MA) quoted me the 90k servicing for $1150 plus another $950 for the timing belt and water pump. Ouch. I'm taking it in to the local Toyota dealer, who quoted me $760 for the 90k service inclusive of the timing belt plus another ~$445 to do the water pump while they're in there. Yeah, it was pretty much a no-brainer. I'll post up the final numbers when I get the GX back tomorrow night. They're usually spot-on with their estimates. (It's an 03 GX btw with 94,000 miles).
Old 01-19-11, 04:42 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ebradford
Funny this post should come up today. The local Lexus dealer (Danvers, MA) quoted me the 90k servicing for $1150 plus another $950 for the timing belt and water pump. Ouch. I'm taking it in to the local Toyota dealer, who quoted me $760 for the 90k service inclusive of the timing belt plus another ~$445 to do the water pump while they're in there. Yeah, it was pretty much a no-brainer. I'll post up the final numbers when I get the GX back tomorrow night. They're usually spot-on with their estimates. (It's an 03 GX btw with 94,000 miles).
I'm glad you skipped the IRA Lexus guys, been there and they are way too high for all of their work(wanted $400 per caliper to replace both fronts). What Toyota place did you go to Atlantic Toyota in Lynn? I have only 74k miles but was looking into the job. I might buy the parts through sewell and have a mechanic friend do the job at his house($40 per hour CASH). Where did you buy your GX from?
Old 01-19-11, 05:48 PM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I'm glad you skipped the IRA Lexus guys, been there and they are way too high for all of their work(wanted $400 per caliper to replace both fronts). What Toyota place did you go to Atlantic Toyota in Lynn? I have only 74k miles but was looking into the job. I might buy the parts through sewell and have a mechanic friend do the job at his house($40 per hour CASH). Where did you buy your GX from?
My parents bought this GX new at Lexus of Tucson (and I bought it from them in late '05 and had it shipped up here). I haven't had good luck at the Ira dealership. They gave me the runaround with the clunk fix, and never did manage to get the blanks in stock to get rid of the old analog lexus link that they stopped supporting (even after multiple trips). The GX is over at Jaffarian Toyota in Haverhill (about a mile off of 495).

I got to blabbing with the service manager over there a few weeks ago when I was in having our Prius geekmobile in for the 25k checkup. (Yes, it might be nerdy to drive one but you can't beat commuting at 75+ mph and still getting 47-48mpg). He was saying that the Lexus parts are stupidly expensive for what are essentially identical Toyota parts with LEXUS stamped on them. I agree about the independent mechanic. I sourced four new powerslot rotors from the guys over at frozenrotors.com and had them installed by a local mechanic here in west newbury for about $200. (The OEM rotors are crap..went through 2 sets in less than a year. The cryos have been going strong now for a couple of years with no warping at all.)

Btw, I had my pricing inverted. Jaffarian was $449 for the 90k service plus $861 for the replacement of the timing belt and the water pump labor included. The local guy here in town has recently gone off of his rocker price-wise thus why I wound up taking it to a dealer. A reliable indy is the way to go if you can swing it. (Sorry for the novel.)
Old 01-19-11, 07:32 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got lucky and had a friend who has worked as a Toyota mechanic for 10 years do mine on the side. He honestly charged me 550 for the timing belt, hydraulic tensioner (it was actually cracked!) and water pump together as well as an induction cleaning, cabin filter and air filter (all Toyota OEM parts). During the process he found the common pin hole leak on the radiator and showed me the corrosion. He also did a new radiator and all new Toyota red fluid for 500. All that for 1050 was an awesome deal. I was very thankful.

I would have Toyota do it or ask a certified Toyota mechanic for some weekend work (one you trust if possible) good luck!
Old 01-20-11, 05:07 PM
grda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
i price the belt and water pump at a toyota dealer, got his best price of 950, asked my lexus dealer if he wanted to match it...he did and he also threw in squirting in some lube in the drive line shaft (big deal)...not a bad price for belt pump, parts labor etc.
My local Lexus dealer quoted me $950 for TB and Water pump. The Toyota dealer quote was around the same so going to go with the Lexus dealer as a no brainer.
Old 01-20-11, 07:18 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by grda
My local Lexus dealer quoted me $950 for TB and Water pump. The Toyota dealer quote was around the same so going to go with the Lexus dealer as a no brainer.
Sewell Lexus has the entire Timing belt kit with the water pump O rings and coolant for $317 delivered as clublexus members(you have to register). It shouldn't be too difficult to find a mechanic to install for $200-250 in labor. Not bad for half the price than the lower Lexus quote. Just cause you own a Lexus dosen't mean you shouldn't shop around, We all like to save money.
Old 01-20-11, 08:07 PM
tim003
Driver School Candidate

Rosco, thanks for the head up about the timing belt kit from sewel. Would the kit consisted of the accessory belts?
Old 01-20-11, 08:15 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by tim003
Rosco, thanks for the head up about the timing belt kit from sewel. Would the kit consisted of the accessory belts?
Tim, No it includes the following http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/4496.html
The following users liked this post:
TDC1 (01-14-18)
Old 01-20-11, 08:23 PM
tim003
Driver School Candidate

Now I know where to get the parts, thanks.

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt Replacement Cost?