GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Timing Belt Replacement Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 04:14 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Ahhhh feels good to get a new belt! I'm just shy of 90K and got my TB replaced along with:

-Thermostat (preventative)
-Serpentine belt (p)
-Pulleys (p)
-Tensioner (p)
-Water pump (some seepage)
-Coolant

Cam seals looked fine so did nothing since I understand the VVTI engines are a bit more work than the non-VVTIs.

$980 out the door at a dealer (typical pricing more along the lines of $1700) and also got a new Tundra loaner. It's a beast of a truck, but glad to be back in my mom-mobile.
So this was at a Toyota dealer? I am trying to get this done ASAP and a shop, non dealer, says your price is great. But dunno if I could get this in Cali.
Old 08-08-12, 04:25 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by infinirx
So this was at a Toyota dealer? I am trying to get this done ASAP and a shop, non dealer, says your price is great. But dunno if I could get this in Cali.
I know ROK's post was in late-April, and stiles_s made the assumption base on ROK's location being 'NW', it might of been in Seattle though it might of been somewhere in Oregon too. Since he got a Tundra as a loaner, I'm assuming it was a Toyota dealer.

Lexus of Seattle, here, is currently running a promo for the exact work that ROK listed, for $895 which is normally $1,295. With our 9.5% sales tax up here, you're pretty much square at $980. I'm at 93K so I'm about to bring it in to have it done.

You might have to check around Toyota and Lexus dealers around your area to see if they're doing any promotions.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 08-08-12, 05:51 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kermee
I know ROK's post was in late-April, and stiles_s made the assumption base on ROK's location being 'NW', it might of been in Seattle though it might of been somewhere in Oregon too. Since he got a Tundra as a loaner, I'm assuming it was a Toyota dealer.

Lexus of Seattle, here, is currently running a promo for the exact work that ROK listed, for $895 which is normally $1,295. With our 9.5% sales tax up here, you're pretty much square at $980. I'm at 93K so I'm about to bring it in to have it done.

You might have to check around Toyota and Lexus dealers around your area to see if they're doing any promotions.

Cheers,
Kermee
My friend owns a large reputable shop that does accident repair work. Been in business over 40yrs. His mechanics will do the job for $400 labor and I got this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190545600729...84.m1497.l2649

we both sat down. looked over the parts and prices etc. etc. to see if I was able to get the best prices and was getting all the parts I needed.
Old 08-17-12, 10:24 AM
GXM35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having mine done as I write...

$1045 for timing belt, water pump, tensioners, coolant, drive belt, spark plugs, and wash at the local Lexus dealer. I was 1st quoted $1800, but I decided to call and ask how much parts would be. After I got that, I asked how much for installation and it was $750 less with spark plugs and drive belt added on. Pretty sweet...
Old 08-17-12, 10:53 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GXM35
$1045 for timing belt, water pump, tensioners, coolant, drive belt, spark plugs, and wash at the local Lexus dealer. I was 1st quoted $1800, but I decided to call and ask how much parts would be. After I got that, I asked how much for installation and it was $750 less with spark plugs and drive belt added on. Pretty sweet...
That's definitely a good deal. Nice!

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 09-09-12, 01:01 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

purchased this parts at sewell and had local motorsport specializing Lexus cars (vendor sponsor here ) installed $500 out the door less than 2 months ago before I took a trip to las vegas (from northern california here), just have to used original parts coz warranty still in effect. My local lexus stealership quoted me for $2300 for parts and labor.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by vince22; 09-09-12 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-18-12, 06:31 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing mine this Thirsday. $850 out of the door for timing belt, water pump, tensioners, coolant. . I hope my valves will stay straight
Old 09-18-12, 09:08 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
has anyone experienced a failed timing belt? anyone still running original belt above 80k miles? any DIY write-ups for the work? i would tackle this work myself since the comlete parts list to do the job is available, etc.
I ran mine until 116k or so.
Old 09-19-12, 02:32 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Globalinx
I am doing mine this Thirsday. $850 out of the door for timing belt, water pump, tensioners, coolant. . I hope my valves will stay straight
Who is doing the work? Can't be Lexus!
Old 09-19-12, 02:55 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by cssnms
Who is doing the work? Can't be Lexus!
Mine did the timing belt, coolant, water pump, etc. for $895 + tax. $850 is definitely a good price... They probably 'shaved' 1/2 hour of labor somewhere if it's being done at a Lexus service center.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 09-19-12, 11:06 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus of Seattle - just had it done

I just had my timing belt done at Lexus of Seattle for the $895 special. Very happy with the service and the loaner. Had an all-wheel is-250 for the day. i inquired at Lexus of Bellevue and they were not dealing. They wanted $1295 and the service manager was not believing the price. the price was advertised on tthe Lexus of Seattle website. You would think the competing service manager who know about it.

I inquired about new shocks and they said not to replace the shocks as they will go out to 170,000 +miles. Good news but kind of hard to imagine.
Old 04-19-13, 02:43 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Just had my TB and waterpump done at an Indy. I bought a kit that has the factory Aisin waterpump and mitsoboshi belt, it includes tensioners and bearings. It was Appx. $300 from Rock Auto. The labor was $340 cash. $640 total out the door was awesome. I was nervous having it done locally rather than Lexus dealership after reading threads about interference engines and if not installed correctly ruining your engine. Truck ran great on my ride home so figured it was done correctly- I assume
Old 04-19-13, 09:48 PM
bauer26
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
has anyone experienced a failed timing belt? anyone still running original belt above 80k miles? any DIY write-ups for the work? i would tackle this work myself since the comlete parts list to do the job is available, etc.
Ummmmm, we got no maint record when we bought our 04 GX with 117K on it but I assume we are still on an original timing belt. Prior owners didn't seem to take too great of care of the truck so I can't assume they did a timing belt at all. Its currently at 136k now and running strong (if only i can fix a squeal from the A/C compressor). Any idea what would make a new(er) timing belt obvious that it is a replacement?
Old 04-20-13, 07:09 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by bauer26
Ummmmm, we got no maint record when we bought our 04 GX with 117K on it but I assume we are still on an original timing belt. Prior owners didn't seem to take too great of care of the truck so I can't assume they did a timing belt at all. Its currently at 136k now and running strong (if only i can fix a squeal from the A/C compressor). Any idea what would make a new(er) timing belt obvious that it is a replacement?
Well, if it's an aftermarket brand timing belt that's really the only way you can tell without records. Otherwise a sticker, or marker showing when it was changed on the timing belt cover, or an entry in the owner's manual stating when it was done. Otherwise, assume it hasn't, and get it done ASAP.
Old 04-20-13, 05:01 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bauer26
I don't think there are any telltale signs. And, when it goes it's (based on what I know) catastrophic. Not something to play chicken with, IMO.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Replacement Cost?