GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Another Trailer Hitch Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 08:22 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great idea Cap!!!

Now I just need to find a Silver cover that works with my new hitch.....
Old 09-30-10, 10:37 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SmittysGX

Great idea Cap!!!

Now I just need to find a Silver Cover that works with my new hitch.....
Smitty.....

If you had gotten the Curt Hitch that I recommended, you could have used the Silver Cover that came with your GX. It would have been a lot cheaper too.

Many GX owners have done their own Curt Hitch installations, which saved them $$$.

~ Cap
Old 10-01-10, 10:42 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
Smitty.....

If you had gotten the Curt Hitch that I recommended, you could have used the Silver Cover that came with your GX. It would have been a lot cheaper too.

Many GX owners have done their own Curt Hitch installations, which saved them $$$.

~ Cap
Understood, however I was skeptical of the aftermarket hitch not connecting at the receiver (center section). Like you mentioned, you had it custom welded after finding out Lexus does. I got the factory hitch, factory wire harness and relays for the same price U-Haul quoted me (the new cover will put me over). I just need the center support from Chad (cmarshack) and Ill be set up like from the factory. Call me crazy , but I wanted to set my GX up like it was from the factory. Granted, I had to work much harder and essentially piece this thing together utilizing the help of this forum, but im almost there. And please, no disrespect to anyone as I needed all the info possible to get this done. Thx again for all the input, oh did I mention this is an awesome site??
Old 10-01-10, 02:15 PM
Capirato
Racer

Understood, however I was skeptical of the aftermarket hitch not connecting at the receiver (center section). Like you mentioned, you had it custom welded after finding out Lexus does. I got the factory hitch, factory wire harness and relays for the same price U-Haul quoted me (the new cover will put me over). I just need the center support from Chad (cmarshack) and Ill be set up like from the factory. Call me crazy , but I wanted to set my GX up like it was from the factory. Granted, I had to work much harder and essentially piece this thing together utilizing the help of this forum, but im almost there. And please, no disrespect to anyone as I needed all the info possible to get this done. Thx again for all the input, oh did I mention this is an awesome site??
Well said Smitty.....

Now lets get a Spoiler for that Good Looking GX.

~ Cap
Old 10-01-10, 02:44 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely need a spoiler! It's just not the same w/o the spoiler.
Old 10-02-10, 04:42 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
Well said Smitty.....

Now lets get a Spoiler for that Good Looking GX.

~ Cap
Originally Posted by redrocks
Definitely need a spoiler! It's just not the same w/o the spoiler.
Absolutely!! That is definitely something I want to do. My Dads has one and wow what a difference it makes. We both have silver and when we park next to each other mine just looks undone…. I will try to thread search the spoiler topic before I start a new thread on that, I am sure there are plenty out there.
Old 10-05-10, 07:33 AM
Lojak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smitty...Thanks for the pics showing where to put the relays. I actually put both there anyway cause I could see no other place to put them. I put the green one inside the rear cargo panel. I installed the integral hitch which looks great! I got the aftermarket wiring harness from etrailer but thats where my problems started again. Just like you I have been trying to piece this all together from reading on here. The brake lights worked with the aftermarket harness but not the running lights or signals. This signals would make both lights blink like the hazzards were on. I am gonna send it back and bite the bullit on the factory expensive one! Problem is now that I seem to have this all sorted out the family wants to get a pull behind rv which means now I need the factory hitch setup like you have that will pull 6500! Just like you I would need that piece that was originally behind the bumper cause I did not have the tow prep pkg. Do you have a list of part numbers you could put on here of all that you needed?
Old 10-06-10, 10:22 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Lojak
Smitty...Thanks for the pics showing where to put the relays. I actually put both there anyway cause I could see no other place to put them. I put the green one inside the rear cargo panel. I installed the integral hitch which looks great! I got the aftermarket wiring harness from etrailer but thats where my problems started again. Just like you I have been trying to piece this all together from reading on here. The brake lights worked with the aftermarket harness but not the running lights or signals. This signals would make both lights blink like the hazzards were on. I am gonna send it back and bite the bullit on the factory expensive one! Problem is now that I seem to have this all sorted out the family wants to get a pull behind rv which means now I need the factory hitch setup like you have that will pull 6500! Just like you I would need that piece that was originally behind the bumper cause I did not have the tow prep pkg. Do you have a list of part numbers you could put on here of all that you needed?
Absolutely!! Ill get it together and post it up maybe tonight.
Old 10-06-10, 11:44 AM
Lojak
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-08-10, 01:01 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Sorry for the delay!

Here are the parts I used for my Hitch detail (Class IV 6500lb). Take in mind that my 2004 GX did not have the tow package and needed everything from the relays to the wire harness. Oh, and I wanted to do equipped it as if from the factory.

1. PT22860540 Towing - Hitch Kit – Class IV
2. 8216960050 Towing – Wiring Harness – 7 PIN
3. 8198560020 Relay Box (green)
4. 9098702016 Fuse Box Relay (requires 2)
5. 08925-65870 Center support bracket
6. unk part # new bumper insert to match your vehicle color.
It needs to be the one for the 2005 and newer GX470s.
It flairs out with out the notch cut out that the 2003
and 2004s have.
7. unk part # You will need new bumper reinforcement braces.
The factory ones that come on the vehicles w/out
tow package come together at the center where
the Center Support Bracket goes. I am going to
cut mine to work (cut off wheel). You will also
notice that the wiring harness comes with a
mounting bracket and so does the Hitch kit.
Use the mount that comes with the Hitch kit
along with a small cut to the driver side rear
bumper Reinforcement brace.

That should do it for the total install. I know there are correct bumper reinforcement braces but the cut off wheel made short work of the required changes. As for the bumper insert I am still trying to get the correct one. They keep giving me the one with the cut out in it and that’s not the one you want. I will post the correct part number once I figure it out. I will also post pictures that will help with all this once I am completely done with it and have all pics ready.
Old 10-12-10, 04:47 AM
Lojak
Driver School Candidate

Awesome list! Thanks for the help, looking forward to pics!
Old 10-14-10, 02:22 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Sorry for the delay!

Here are the parts I used for my Hitch detail (Class IV 6500lb). Take in mind that my 2004 GX did not have the tow package and needed everything from the relays to the wire harness. Oh, and I wanted to do equipped it as if from the factory.

1. PT22860540 Towing - Hitch Kit – Class IV
2. 8216960050 Towing – Wiring Harness – 7 PIN
3. 8198560020 Relay Box (green)
4. 9098702016 Fuse Box Relay (requires 2)
5. 08925-65870 Center support bracket
6. unk part # new bumper insert to match your vehicle color.
It needs to be the one for the 2005 and newer GX470s.
It flairs out with out the notch cut out that the 2003
and 2004s have.
7. unk part # You will need new bumper reinforcement braces.
The factory ones that come on the vehicles w/out
tow package come together at the center where
the Center Support Bracket goes. I am going to
cut mine to work (cut off wheel). You will also
notice that the wiring harness comes with a
mounting bracket and so does the Hitch kit.
Use the mount that comes with the Hitch kit
along with a small cut to the driver side rear
bumper Reinforcement brace.

That should do it for the total install. I know there are correct bumper reinforcement braces but the cut off wheel made short work of the required changes. As for the bumper insert I am still trying to get the correct one. They keep giving me the one with the cut out in it and that’s not the one you want. I will post the correct part number once I figure it out. I will also post pictures that will help with all this once I am completely done with it and have all pics ready.
JR-

How did it turn out? I hope that you were able to get everything installed as it is supposed to be.

Also, check this out-Needs some work, but maybe you can send him a message asking if there is a part # stamped into it. Better yet, how about someone here with this style bumper insert go out to your car, bring a philips head screw driver, take your cover off and let SmittysGX know what the part number is...just a thought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...item1e5b4299f2

Old 10-15-10, 08:30 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Thx Chad!! Turns out there are two different Center Support pieces. The one I got from you wasnt the one I needed I was able to make it work as im done messin with this. I still need the silver plastic cover as (again) i got the wrong one from Lexus.

Chad, I saw the same damaged one on ebay and asked him for the part number with no response. Im gonna try to just order a 2007 silver cover for the hitch and see what happens. This is crazy how difficult Lexus makes it to equip a non trailer hitched GX to factory equipped.

Is there anyone on here that has a 2005 or newer trailer hitch prepped GX that will never put the actual hitch on? I can trade you the flush mount set up.
Old 10-20-10, 04:08 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

What’s the deal? I got the piece from Chad, Thx!!! The center support I got from you is the top one. Turns out I need the bottom one. Perfect……… how difficult can Lexus make this? WOW, if you want a factory equipped GX you better get it factory equipped. They don’t make it possible to do it yourself. I can’t seem to find the correct center support (second picture) unless it is already on a tow prepped GX.

Chad, I was able to make yours work, I just had to add some spacers to the 4 horizontal bolts. When I bolted in the center support the 4 holes that are supposed to attach to the trailer hitch were approximately ½ inch off. There is no way to adjust the hitch itself; therefore I must need the other center support (second picture). The second one pictured, if you look at it, appears to locate the 4 mounting holes toward the rear of the vehicle a tad more than the first one pictured (apparently ½ inch) . For now I have yours spaced out in order for the 4 plate holes to line up with the hitch. The only down fall is that the two vertical bolts for the center support no longer line up. I may need to actually go back to Lexus and show them in person the issues and hopefully I can get the correct parts to complete this craziness.
Old 10-26-10, 12:41 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

hitch install is finally done!!! Here is the new thread with photos.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...th-photos.html