GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What wrong with wheel rims??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 03:29 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What wrong with wheel rims??

Anyone know what cause the bumps shown in this picture (bottom center and right)?
Attached Thumbnails What wrong with wheel rims??-blisters-on-rim..jpg  
Old 06-14-10, 05:43 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How old are your rims? My untested theory is that these rims are actually plated, and the outer plating is bubbling up for some unknown reason. I've seen this elsewhere on other plated parts. Mine are still ok, but perhaps someone else who has had this happen might know more.

Turby
Old 06-14-10, 05:45 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

These rims are on a 06 GX with 43K miles on it. Is this normal?
Old 06-14-10, 06:58 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the OEM rims are an alloy with a 'paint' coating and what you are seeing is bubbling of the coating - perhaps from corrosion underneath. There are a number of threads and posts on this site about that problem.

I put quotes around the word paint because it may be more like a coating - maybe a cheaper process than to actually polish the alloy. I think I read in one of the posts that if you strip the paint/coating (like to repaint the wheel) it's not smooth metal underneath, and that the alloy does not polish up very well.

But it's hard to be sure from a photo - does it look or feel like you could peel the bumps off, or do they seem really solid?
Old 06-14-10, 07:33 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

I got this picture from a Lexus dealer website. Notice the curb rash as well as the "bubbling". This a CPO being sold by the dealer. One would expect the rims to be fixed or replaced? Anyone else ever purchase a CPO with "worn" rims?
Old 06-15-10, 11:28 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its due to rust
Old 06-15-10, 02:28 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
Its due to rust
So would this be replaced under warranty?
Old 06-15-10, 04:14 PM
hammer0008
Rookie

mine were repainted under 4/50000 warranty.
Old 06-15-10, 06:04 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hammer0008
mine were repainted under 4/50000 warranty.
Great! Good to hear!
Old 06-16-10, 06:47 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I bought my GX470 used and had the same issue, It seems the wheels in question were "subcontracted" out from lexus and there were lots of problems. I negotiated complete wheel recondition before i bought it and the wheels came out pretty good. I'm not sure how long it will last though. Dealers try to get around the warranty on this by claiming neglect from leaving brake dust on and using acid based cleaning products. I've personally noticed the corrosion on most GX470 wheels in the Northeast(road salt related?) Lexus should repair/replace under the 100k corrosion warranty IMO.
Old 06-16-10, 06:54 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I bought my GX470 used and had the same issue, It seems the wheels in question were "subcontracted" out from lexus and there were lots of problems. I negotiated complete wheel recondition before i bought it and the wheels came out pretty good. I'm not sure how long it will last though. Dealers try to get around the warranty on this by claiming neglect from leaving brake dust on and using acid based cleaning products. I've personally noticed the corrosion on most GX470 wheels in the Northeast(road salt related?) Lexus should repair/replace under the 100k corrosion warranty IMO.

I've had other vehicles with alloy wheels and I have never seen what I seen on the GX (06 nd older). Seems that the 07 through 10 don't have the plating or coating and are not having these issues.
Old 06-17-10, 10:24 AM
ARK07
Driver School Candidate

I just noticed blistering on two of my wheels when I was rotating and doing the usual yearly wax on them. The dealer is replacing them under warranty on this 07 (low miles with only two MN winters) and I'm sure the other two in the future will be needing it and I hope I'll be as lucky to get these replaced under warranty as well. The big question is whether the new ones will hold up any better and have they fixed their plating process??
Old 06-17-10, 08:05 PM
VictorGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redrocks
Anyone know what cause the bumps shown in this picture (bottom center and right)?
Here is a good thread that goes into some detail regarding how different dealerships handle this widespread problem:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ims-fixed.html
Old 06-18-10, 02:04 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VictorGX
Here is a good thread that goes into some detail regarding how different dealerships handle this widespread problem:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ims-fixed.html
Thanks for the link.
Old 07-05-10, 08:19 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Thanks for the link.
I have noticed that 8 out of 10 GX470'S HAVE THE BLISTERING WHEELS REGARDLESS OF THE YEAR. This absolutely should be a RECALL- safety or not. Everyone on this site should call LEXUS H/Q and submit a complaint or claim. It is obviously a defect when you can barely find a GX without peeling wheels. I have heard on this forum that the wheels were the only item on the GX that was "SUBCONTRACTED" out to a wheel company and not made by TOYOTA MOTOR CORPS. I wonder if the factory CHROME or HYPERSILVER wheels peel as well or is it just the silver painted ones.

Quick Reply: What wrong with wheel rims??