GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Here's How To change Front Right turn signal bulb (with photos) in your Lexus GX470

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 06:37 PM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Left hand turn signal.....

Originally Posted by JeffO
Hi all, I wanted to give you this quick tutorial on how to change the front right turn signal bulb for your Lexus GX470. There's a lot of back and forth on the forums, with people adding way too much confusion, so I wrote this guide with photos for you so there is no mistake. This will take you less than 5 minutes.

My tips apply to my 2004 GX470. They may or may not apply to your year, and you better verify the correct bulb for your vehicle, don’t just go by what I have here.

First, many people are telling you to waste 20 minutes undoing the plastic shield around the engine compartment and work from above. NOT NECESSARY! You change the light bulb easily from below in a few minutes!

Warning: Always bring your bulb with you to buy a new one! Many auto parts stores online, when I looked up the part, show an incorrect 3157 part number, whose bulb does not even look close to being correct. Always trust what you know.

The turn signal light bulb you need for a 2004 Lexus GX470 is called 1156A

it is a standard bulb, amber in color, most auto parts places sell it. I bought my bulb, shown below at Pep Boys, 2 bulbs for $3.99. Forget paying the dealer $50-$100 for this job that you can do in 5 minutes. Note how the bulb in my package has the letters “LL” at the end. IT means Long Life. If you can get this designation, go for it.

Now you can see the close-up of your bulb below. Notice it has 2 little nipples on it, this means it will slide down a channel in the connector, then twist at the bottom to lock into place.

How to change the turn signal bulb:

1) Lie down on your back just underneath your front right bumper, below the headlight. I just rested my head on a mover’s dolly. Now look up behind the headlight assembly, as shown in my photo below, and you’ll see 3 connectors on the back of the headlight assembly. You will focus on the gray one in the middle as shown in the photo here:

2) Reach up toward that gray connector, your arm will be reaching up a bit. The connector has winglets for you to grasp it. Now grab that connector, and twist it counterclockwise about 1/4 turn until it loosens, then pull out the connector as shown in this photo below:

3) There’s your turn signal bulb! Now twist the bulb first, THEN once you have twisted it loose, you may pull it out of the socket. If you find it hard to hold the socket while twisting the bulb loose, then use pliars or Robo Grips to hold the socket steady, then use your other hand to loosen the bulb.

4) Now here is your loose socket hanging. That’s my flashlight on lower right corner of the photo:

Here is another zoomed out shot of the socket hanging down:

5) Now take your new bulb, and align the little nipples on the bottom of the bulb to the channels on the connector. Then slide the bulb down the into the connector, and twist the bulb clockwise to lock it into place. Now reach up to re-connect the bulb and connector back onto the rear of the headlight assembly as shown below:

6) Now insert the bulb back into the hole on the rear of the headlight assembly, and twist the gray connector until it’s all locked into place. That’s it, you’re done! See photo below:

Now wasn’t that a lot easier than undoing a bunch of plastic fasteners in the engine compartment? Congratulations, you just saved yourself at least $50.

Now PayPal me $10 of that! LOL!

I’ll open up the floor to questions now.

Jeff
Less than 3 minutes to do this!!!!!
Old 12-25-14, 08:29 AM
Joebootx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phillips led 1156

Hello,
Anyone changes out the original with these listed from xenon depot? There is a p21 and p21w in white or red. I'm wondering about color since the cover is amber like the old bulb how a white or red bulb would look.
Thanks
Old 12-25-14, 06:47 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Took at peek under the truck today laying on my back..... That's one heck of a long reach!
Old 01-04-15, 12:57 PM
siltman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. That was a great set of pictures. Install worked great
Old 04-12-15, 12:51 PM
LV88
Driver School Candidate

Default Simple

TYMV! did it in less than 5 mins...not bad for a girl!
Old 05-18-15, 08:07 AM
GoIrish02
Driver School Candidate

Any advice on removing a broken bulb? I was able to remove the socket but the bulb separated from the base when I tried to twist out the old bulb. The base is still inside the socket.

I'll try this evening with some needle nose pliers, appreciate any help on better methods to remove the base.
Old 09-09-15, 08:53 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I'm pretty sure today was the 2nd time I've used this DIY, as I happened to have a new bulb on my shelf already! Took about 3 min, thanks again!
Old 09-11-15, 12:45 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, glad to hear my post is still helping people. I finally improved the tutorial with a new video!

After numerous requests, we made a high definition video which shows what my original post described, how to change your turn signal bulbs yourself in 5 minutes, along with a new 2nd tutorial for you to upgrade your light bulbs to LED, and all the technical issues you have to deal with such as load resistors. We have the video and write-up with photos here for you:

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/articl...de-to-leds.htm

The video shows you how to do both the left and right side, which are both about exactly the same.

The YouTube video on our blog post above has 2 tutorials contained in it:

1) How to change your turn signal light bulbs in about 5 minutes

2) How to upgrade your turn signal light bulbs to LED, and we show you all the caveats, scams to avoid with LED light bulb vendors, and show you scientifically why you need a load resistor if you upgrade to LED bulbs, and we show you how to install the load resistors and crimp them onto the wiring harness. The video also covers alternatives to LED load resistors, such as turn signal flasher module units that have built-in compatibility with both LED and filament light bulbs.

Last edited by JeffO; 08-01-16 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-12-15, 04:08 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

What's the color of the bulbs used in the early GX's? They're closer to clear than amber.

Chip H.
Old 09-14-15, 06:05 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Only the turn signal bulbs are amber. If you look at the package of the light bulbs in my original post, you'll see the dark amber color. But they do fade over several months. I have pulled out burnt out directional signal bulbs, and they would be almost clear after less only than a year of service.
Old 09-14-15, 08:15 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
What's the color of the bulbs used in the early GX's? They're closer to clear than amber.

Chip H.
Probably just faded amber bulbs.

Maybe worth a mention, but the turn signals do double duty as the DRL's on Canadian models.
Old 09-17-15, 07:43 AM
Albarta
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you!

Your suggestion worked great, for both left and right turn signal bulbs. Just wish I had read your post first, since I wasted time and effort removing the riveted panel after popping the hood, which did no good whatsoever.
Old 09-17-15, 07:50 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Awesome Albarta! BTW, did you see we finally put up a video for this?

After tons of excited positive feedback on my post and numerous requests, we finally made a high definition video for you which shows you how to change your turn signal bulbs yourself in 5 minutes, along with bonus tips and tutorial for you to upgrade your light bulbs to LED, and all the technical issues you have to deal with such as load resistors. We have the video and write-up with photos here for you:

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/articl...de-to-leds.htm

The YouTube video on our blog post above has 2 tutorials contained in it:

1) How to change your turn signal light bulbs in about 5 minutes

2) How to upgrade your turn signal light bulbs to LED, and we show you all the caveats, scams to avoid with LED light bulb vendors, and show you scientifically why you need a load resistor if you upgrade to LED bulbs, and we show you how to install the load resistors and crimp them onto the wiring harness. The video also covers alternatives to LED load resistors, such as turn signal flasher module units that have built-in compatibility with both LED and filament light bulbs.
Old 12-03-15, 07:27 PM
redtie
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thanks Jeff,

It took me less than 5 min. Great post
Old 03-15-16, 10:50 PM
pjarvis
Rookie

You can find these in the amber LED version for $15 on Amazon made by JDM.

Quick Reply: Here's How To change Front Right turn signal bulb (with photos) in your Lexus GX470