GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone install a rear spoiler

Old 04-25-10, 02:31 PM
GXBaron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone install a rear spoiler

Hey guys...first post. I've been thinking about putting an aftermarket spoiler on my 2004 GX. Has anybody here gone through such an undertaking? If you have I would like to get some pointers on where to get it (ebay, dealer....) and what the installation process consists of. Any general information would also be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-10, 05:19 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's instructions from Sewell online

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/imp...gx_spoiler.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
gx_spoiler.pdf (247.6 KB, 1536 views)
Old 04-25-10, 06:04 PM
GXBaron
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot Redrocks Now I have to decide if I want to drop $500 smackeroos for this cosmetic upgrade.
Old 04-25-10, 08:42 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

I bought my spoiler from these guys

very high quality and much cheaper than OEM. ask them to include a brake light cover to put into the hole that will be left when you remove the brake light
Old 04-26-10, 03:30 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GXBaron
Thanks a lot Redrocks Now I have to decide if I want to drop $500 smackeroos for this cosmetic upgrade.
You're welcome, GXBaron. Yeah, $500 is a lot for a cosmetic change, but the spoiler looks great! The GX seems to be "naked" without the spoiler. The installation doesn't look too difficult.
Old 04-26-10, 05:25 PM
GXBaron
Driver School Candidate

sickntired- I was actually looking at those spoilers on ebay but did not know if I could trust them for quality parts and how it would fit. Could you give me a few more details of how the installation went for you. I emailed them and they said they use bigger holes than the factory ones so I would need washers which they do not provide.

I think if I combine the ebay spoiler with redrocks' instructions I will be in business, and he's right, the GX is naked without a rear spoiler. Thanks guys for your help.
Old 04-27-10, 08:40 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

I bought from them and it was fine. I am not sure about the washers issue. I just had my dealer install it and it looks great.
Old 08-15-10, 03:12 PM
GXKat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sickntired
I bought my spoiler from these guys

very high quality and much cheaper than OEM. ask them to include a brake light cover to put into the hole that will be left when you remove the brake light
I'm looking at a couple different sellers on ebay selling the spoiler....so took your advice and asked one to include the brake light cover....
~ "spoilercentral" said no, they don't include them...ARGH!

~he also said there's a $15.00 surcharge for the Blizzard Pearl paint.

Still awaiting answers from "thespoilercompany" and "the spoilerstore", but wanted to ask if anybody had to pay for the brake light cover and any surcharge for Blizzard?

I realize sellers may have changed their terms since you all bought the spoilers.

Also, about how much did you pay your dealer for installation?

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-20-10, 10:16 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

I didn't have to pay extra for the brake light cover. I don't know about a surcharge for a particular type of paint.

I would email those companies again.
Old 08-21-10, 11:26 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

got mine from thespoilerstore 2yrs ago, $125.00 shipped, no surcharged for blizzard Pearl, no brake cover included, but very satisfied with quality.
Old 08-22-10, 07:15 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a non-OEM when I did mine some years back. Wasn't happy with the quality and sent it back. I ended up buying a OEM product for a little bit more and was happy. I installed it myself. Wasn't hard, but drilling into a Lexus is a little un-nerving. I bought all new drill bits and it went well.
Old 08-22-10, 08:04 PM
GXKat
Driver School Candidate

I ended up going with "thespoilerstore", no surcharge for Blizzard Pearl, but no tail light cover available, so I guess they don't offer that anymore.

I'm going to have my shop install it...I know what ya mean...I couldn't drill into my Lexus....surely someone's more qualified than me to do that!!

Can't wait to get it and check out the paint match!
Old 08-23-10, 07:15 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GXKat
I ended up going with "thespoilerstore", no surcharge for Blizzard Pearl, but no tail light cover available, so I guess they don't offer that anymore.

I'm going to have my shop install it...I know what ya mean...I couldn't drill into my Lexus....surely someone's more qualified than me to do that!!

Can't wait to get it and check out the paint match!
Good luck with the spoiler. If you didnt care for an exterior upgrade you probably would be on the Toyota 4runner website. The GX does look naked without the spoiler. Give us a little info on your 04 GX. We know its blizzard pearl but what else?
Old 08-26-10, 01:06 AM
GXKat
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Good luck with the spoiler. If you didnt care for an exterior upgrade you probably would be on the Toyota 4runner website. The GX does look naked without the spoiler. Give us a little info on your 04 GX. We know its blizzard pearl but what else?

Hey ROSCO, glad you asked...

Great forum, got lots of good info already.

Funny...I HAD an '08 4Runner (Urban Runner package), traded it for my '07 GX. 4Runner bored me to tears, it was just so bland. The Urban Runner package is nice and it HAD the nice spoiler!! Figures! But didn't have the LTD interior (no leather etc..) and I really wanted the luxury interior back, having traded a BMW X5 4.6is for the 4Runner (moved to a rural area, dirt roads, super hi-po tires just weren't cutting it...and it was black...I couldn't stand the dust).

I debated for quite some time about whether to hold out for a GX with the KDSS suspension. I did finally find a Blizzard with it, in TX, but it had tan leather and we really wanted the gray. We do go off road a good bit, but I really don't expect to do it in the GX and therefore didn't need the extra suspension travel the KDSS afforded. Ended up finding my GX locally which was a huge plus....I don't usually get that lucky.

Had the dealership add the ipod connection cable to the MLS system, a hitch and a chrome tail pipe as part of my deal.

Just sold the OEM chrome 17" rims and the Michelin Latitude Tour tires on the GX ...and get this....bought the exact same rims my 4Runner had. Searched forum for several days checking out rims. Found another member here had done it, posted pics, looked really good. I had always liked the rims, they're 6 spoke 18"s from the '08 up LTD. Exact same offset, and width, so fitment was great, just 1" bigger. They're a matte /brushed silver finish, not chrome.

Next up was rubber...I got a little funky here, got Nitto Terra Grapplers in 285/60-18. I've wanted the NTGs for a while on my off road rig, but ended up getting some Cooper LTZs. I'm really not trying to getto-ize it, but it's really a necessity to match my tires to my conditions, and it sure did add a bit of a muscular stance! As I said, we live in a rural area with lots of dirt roads, which means lots of mud roads during the "monsoon" season. I was slippin' all over the place on those wimpy touring tires. Hubby has an FJ Cruiser with pretty serious mud tires, so we're definitely covered now in the rubber department.

Replaced the interior lights with LEDs. Slowly working my way around the truck doing LEDS. I'm going to replace the running board lights next, they're horrible! Gotta figure out exactly what the headlights are, haven't had time to look it up yet. Will put in 6000k HIDs eventually.

Installed a standard type dog barrier, love to carry the dogs whenever the weather permits.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone install a rear spoiler-dscf1874.jpg   Anyone install a rear spoiler-dsc_3492.jpg   Anyone install a rear spoiler-dsc_3484.jpg   Anyone install a rear spoiler-dsc_3477.jpg   Anyone install a rear spoiler-dscf1868.jpg  

Old 01-25-14, 07:55 AM
MichaelD86
Rookie

Looks good! Did you have to do anything for the speedo? Also how did you keep the lexus center caps? The headlights are H11s and the fogs ar e H3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone install a rear spoiler